1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware BenQ MP512-ST Short-Throw Projector

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 29 Mar 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

never heard of a libing room before ;)

Interesting projector though. However i can only see them for use in Movies theaters and Classrooms. Somehow the idea of watching TV over a projector just hasn't appealed to me.

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

it seems pretty silly of them to include HDMI and not component. i'd think on a unit that couldn't do HD you'd be a lot more likely to want component inputs.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

No HD? Not interesting for me then. You can get 1080p projector for roughly double that price and to be honest, I think it's worth it.

5. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove New Member

Funny enough a few days ago I was planing to start a thread and ask why you guys had not reviewed any projectors, since it seems a likely component of a home theatre setup (and then forgot to do it). Are you going to look at any true HD projectors?

Also I might have missed it but I didn't see any mention of how noisy the projector is, which I think is one of the major issues with projectors? also might be a good idea to include average bulb life and replacement price, since often the bulbs are bloody expensive to replace.

6. Grimloon

Grimloon New Member

Another who hasn't heard of a "libing room" - is this somewhere you have "libations" or simply ad lib?

I agree with Dr Strangelove here - what's the cooling fan noise level? Bulb life? Replacement cost? Details please!

A friend of mine runs a full HD projector on a 96" screen and it's truly glorious, the prior incarnation was as limited as this one as far as resolution is concerned, it just didn't have any inputs other than component or VGA. What's the point of a projector that will accept an HDMI input if it simply can't display it? The current one is 720P (1080I signals accepted but downscaled, 1080P wasn't within his budget ) and a joy to use (especially if you're console gaming on split screen). Let's just say that a lot of LAN sessions get held at his gaff and leave it at that.

As far as audio goes, why on earth would you want internal speakers? If you have the cash for a projector then you can usually afford halfway decent speakers so why not use them? Most would so why bother adding them in the first place?

7. whisperwolf

whisperwolf New Member

is there some part of this review missing because the first page really doesn't seem to flow onto the second page? if there isn't it seems lacking in a few details for a review, the first page is mostly about your projector, TV licensing and how people think projectors aren't HD, and then the second page goes on about how this isn't a HD projector.

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Most projectors designed for home use are fairly quiet, you certainly wouldn't be able to hear them over a game or movie. According to BenQ's website, quiet mode fan noise is 26dB, which wouldn't be that noticeable when watching or playing.

Most projector bulbs will last for somewhere around the 2,500-3000 hour mark - BenQ themselves quote 4000 hours, but it will start to deteriorate around 3-3500 hours in real world usage.

The bulbs cost around £200 RRP to replace.

The real problem with projectors sold as cheap home projectors tend to be repurposed office projectors, so they invariably have none of the resolution or colour gamut of a proper HD cinema projector. Save your pennies up for a real HD projector, the difference between something like this and a "proper" projector is worlds apart.

9. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Well this one isn't HD capable...but over 400pounds...

So which one would you recommend as a cheap entry into HD?

10. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Agreed. The fantastic Panasonic AE2000/3000U can be had for about $2500 USD, a fantastic price for what's considered to be a projector that bests even $6k-8k range projectors.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cheers! :)

It has a surprisingly good colour gamut and white quality, but I won't pretend to know how it compares against real HTPC projectors. Projectors aren't really my field, but Benq asked us to take a look at it - and it's cheap, so we thought our readers might want to know.

A lot of you will want TrueHD anyway, it's only of interest if you particularly need a short throw and MUST have a huge screen.

12. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Wait wait wait... I'm confused by something here.
    You says it has HDMI port, but go on to say it isn't an HD projector?
    Doesn't an HDMI port automatically mean it supports HD content?

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It does support HD content. Plug any HD devise into it like a PS3 and the PS3 will set itself to 1080p but the projector will downscale it to 800x600 (or appropriate 16:9). It looks fine - surprisingly so - it's just not "TrueHD"

14. perplekks45

Any chance of you taking a picture of the quality, Bindi?

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Benq had it taken back a few weeks ago: we literally had it for a couple of weeks. I finished the review last month.

I tried shooting it but they didn't turn out so well :( It's difficult because you can't appreciate the black level and colour is dependent on the camera CCD/grain-ISO factor.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think you guys should definitely do more projector reviews:thumb:

17. perplekks45

Agreed.

Shame about the quality-showing pictures.

18. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Thanks for the explanation! I agree: More projectors!

19. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Whats the point as it will not be representative of the real thing? The camera alters the image and its then compressed into a web friendly jpeg. Thats why all the pictures of displays in magazines and advertisements use simulated images.

20. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

5-50k televisions?
    i've picked up a 50" for 700, and a 52 for a little over 9.

Tags: Add Tags