1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Best anti-vi, that doesnt eat resources?

Discussion in 'Software' started by SHAKIRALOVER, 7 Dec 2005.

1. SHAKIRALOVER

SHAKIRALOVER What's a Dremel?

Ive mainly always used AVG, because its soo light.

I sent a file to a friend, who said 'thanks you just sent me 4 viruses' which his Norton caught straight away.

Now Ive tried Avast, Kasper, and i tried the Mcaffe 8.0 trial yesterday, but it wouldnt update.

I like Kasper, but it just kills performance.

So whats the best one thats gonna catch everything, is not a resource hog, and is available for a trial for me to test?

LOL i know its a lot to ask and wanna know, the best one, for me?

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Common sense seems to work well for me.

Nothing will catch everything, however in my two seconds of actually using AV software, open-source-type seem to be the best (because it's about caring, not the money, which tends to hold true for all OSS)

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Norton probably 'caught' a load of false-positives tbh.
    plus it really eats up performance.

I use avast and have no problems, ever.

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Try NOD32, 30-day fully-working trial. I'm trying it, didn't find anything my usual NAV had missed, but picked up a false positive that NAV rightly ignores. :eek:

Auto-Updates throws a wobbly if I'm not connected, and it seems to check for updates several times a day. Not the best control interface IMO, but lots of people like it. :sigh:

5. quack

quack Minimodder

Microsoft used to like NOD32 for their in-house systems apparently... they probably use their own now.

I rather like Symantec AntiVirus Corporate 10.0.2 myself. Doesn't throw up as many annoying false positives as McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0 did when I tried it out. It's incredibly frustrating when your virus scanner likes to instantly delete files it doesn't like without quarantining or advising you first.

6. furqan

furqan What's a Dremel?

NOD32 is what I use and i must say it is pretty amazing compared to norton antvirus, doesn't eat as much resources and my pc loads faster :)

7. ric

ric What's a Dremel?

trick

Hi,
    i am using mcafee.. thats pretty good and it scans for all types of viruses...it has some cool features that u will love to try...
    As far as i know some files are needed to make the software unlimited use ... like some softwares are ther which we can use just for trial,if anyone here is familiar with that kind of files... wud u mind sharing with me .....

Don't ask for warez here. A second offence, we use the banhammer on your head.
    :miffed:

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Dec 2005
  8. coorz

coorz Miffed

NOD32 here too, latest version 2.5 also does spyware.

9. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i use sophos, but that's because the uni gives us free updates, it's small and works well.

updates every 4 hours

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I might be wrong, but are you asking for a crack to make the trial version unlimited/retail

If so this is the wrong place to ask, no piracy here please.

Please excuse me if I read you wrong.

11. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Another vote for nod32 here, once you've installed and configured it, you'll forget it's even there, has one of the best (if not the best) heuristics engines too

12. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

I must admit to using AVG free (for about 3 years now),because its "light", and I run my machine through a couple of online virus checkers at least once a month and they've not picked up anything that AVG's missed, the only one that seems to get through is the old javabyteverify that only affects people daft enough to be using Microsoft's version of java , doesn't affect Sun java at all.

on a side note I hate Norton, all of it.

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

:confused: I've had it reported on my box using Sun Java RTE. Wiped all traces of Java (including caches) and re-installed RTE, dead & gone. :)
    I've just finished the NOD trial, nowt wrong with it but I didn't notice any upsurge in system performance over NAV. Caught a few baddie emails, NAV says it didn't let any through, they're both good IMHO.

14. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

nod32 baby :hehe:

15. pat1

pat1 What's a Dremel?

my vote goes for nod32 as well (number 6??)... it is by far the best av program i have ever used

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Why on earth would you say that? Norton is bloody good at catching Viruses, and it annoys me to see people who dislike the program slander the virus definitions, they're of a very high quality since the corporate product is very widely used and relied upon.

Personally I just use AVG and common sense, it's only ever detected one virus, and that was when I downloaded something I suspected might have had one, so did a scan.

If I had the money, I'd probably use NOD32. Regardless of which Anti-Vi I use though, I turn off all the resident processes, I want something that scans when I choose, not something that monitors every little thing I do and eats up huge resources in the process.

Lastly, for gods sake new people, read the rules and obide by them, seems like alot of admin actions are having to be taken against new people, just read the rules.

Tags: