1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Best PSU for the rest of these parts:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by microsoftPerson, 10 Feb 2011.

1. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

Hello All.

I have purchased all the items for the below system. I was planning an 850W Fractal Design Modular Power Supply but my order fell through on that one part. Can you recommend something nice that will go well with the case and have good length modular cables?

1. Fractal Design R3 Black Pearl
    2. ASUS P8P67 Pro
    3. Intel I5-2500K
    4. 2 x 4GB 1333MHZ RIPJAW X DDR3 (8GB total)
    5. MSI Twin Frozr GTX-560 TI
    6. Crucial C300 64GB SSD
    7. Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB HDD
    8. DVD-RW

I am willing to pay extra money for more watts if it means:
    A: I will have enough power to double up on the GTX 560's in a few years when it's relevant.
    &B: The PSU will run at peak efficiency and low heat.

I only show on NCIX.com and Newegg.com. Price is not really an issue.

2. Synalar

Synalar What's a Dremel?

3. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Corsair AX750 OR 850W- good length, sleeved and COMPLETELY modular cables.

5. microsoftPerson

Is there some way to calculate how many watts my system will use?

These Seasonic PSUs look really nice.

6. Synalar

Synalar What's a Dremel?

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Seasonic X-650/X-750/Corsair AX750. More is not needed.

8. microsoftPerson

I was looking at that PSU calculator (which is very interesting) and had to use an i7-875K because there is no sandybridge support and also used a gtx 460 (I'm getting the 560 oc).

But basically that calculator says that I will use about 500 Watts without a second graphics card. And 600-700 watts for SLI (if I upgrade). I'd like to keep the system quiet and cool so running the PSU efficiently is my goal. Also, this is a huge investment (the rest of the system) so I don't want to skimp on the power.

I ended up with a toss-up between the Seasonic x-850 and the corsair ax750. The seasonic is more but I see some bad reviews of the Corsair product... mainly what concerns me is whether the cables are long enough to be routed behind the motherboard tray.

9. faugusztin

Yes, they are. And i use it with i5 750 + GTX570, the PSU is dead silent (of course it is, because it is pretty much Seasonic X under Corsair brand).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. microsoftPerson

Right on- thanks for the pictures. That is almost exactly what my system will look like, only black where white and the 560.. AWESOME rig! I was really tempted to get the white case because it strikes me as a more interesting case but the girlfriend really preferred the black case/blue led. I like them both, I think Fractal did a really great job.

my supplier is still trying to get me the Newton 850W but I gave them these other two models as possible replacements. But I did tell them the 850W though still. I just want a lot of expandability (possibly two graphics cards) and eventually I want to fill all the Hard Drive bays with a RAID 1+0 with 8 Drives.

11. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

The rig won't actually draw much power. I'm all for ensuring that there's pleny of power for the future, but ayou don't officially need any more than 650W for this particular rig. It would happily handle an extra 560 if you want it later.

I had an overclocked 920 and two 5870s on 650w and was nowhere near using the capacity.

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

@faugusztin what is you case?

@roosauce, The Corsair AX 750/850 are exactly the Seasnic X Gold series, just re-branded with Corsair logo. So you will get the same product, no mater which you use. You will love this PSU.
    I have AX 750, as it was much cheaper than the Seasonic at NCIX.com (Canada), and it's awesome. The fan literally does not spin when I am under idle. As soon as I do something heavy, like play a game, it spins at low speed, and even if you ear is stuck on the fan itself, you don't even hear it. It does a cool "tick" sound when powering up.. like old amps.. awesome!

[​IMG]

I used Noctua fans which are crazy quiet fans. I got them for their quietness first. My GPU is the loudest fan of my whole computer. I don't even know if my computer is on or off without looking at the screen or the LED indicators :D

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

awesome case, Goodbytes :thumb:

another satisfied Ax user here. my one doesn't spin up even when the CPU is put under load, AC reading hovers at 170w which is its fan turn-on voltage. awesome bit of kit.

14. faugusztin

Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White. In short it is the case OP asked about, just a different color. That is why i posted the picture there, so he can see the cables are long enough.

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Thanks.
    Mainly I believe it's my GPU that consumes so much power. The GTX 200 series is very power hungry.. not like 480/470's series... but close.

Nice, it looks really nice!
    I have a friend looking for nice looking case. I'll suggest the one you have.
    +rep.

16. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I have an X-650 and again - awesome. Look no further (unless of course the AX is cheaper by a lot over there).

17. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Do corsair still use those awful flat cables? They are a nightmare to route neatly.

18. faugusztin

Yes, they use them. On other side, it is still better than Seasonic way of leaving the end of cables unsleeved, with millions of different cable colors :).

19. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

Nice cable management faugusztin, making me really wish I had stumped up for a fully modular psu. The Antec TruePower New recommended on BT is a decent enough PSU but how they get away with calling it modular I'll never know.

Due to incremental upgrading, I have ended up with an R3 with a P8P67-M PRO. My housemate laughed so hard when I had the tiny mATX mobo lying next to the big old case. Luckily, it leaves plenty of room for all the unused captive cables to snuggle up in :hehe:

The R3 itself I am absolutely in love with. With cool and quiet 2500k and 460 GTX, I have the fans hooked up to the included controller and set to minimum with no worries heat-wise and next to no noise. I predict much happiness from the OP's new rig :)

20. faugusztin

Then don't show him this (old picture of my fileserver, pretty much everything except the motherboard, case, fans and some of the hard drives were replaced, but i don't have a time to make another photo of current status :D) :
    [​IMG]

But back to the OP - Seasonic X series nad Corsair AX series are both good choices, it comes down to visual differences.
    Seasonic X: http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/seasonicx/650x05.jpg
    Corsair AX : http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/corsair-ax850/ax850d.jpg