1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Best stock G31 chipset CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drjaydee, 21 Mar 2013.

1. drjaydee

drjaydee What's a Dremel?

Hey guys

I'm looking to get a cheap upgrade to my PC to speed it up.

I have an ASUS P5KPL-VM motherboard, with an E7400 processor and a HD4850 GPU.

I'm looking for the best stock CPU I can put in my motherboard as I don't think my motherboard is good for overclocking because it's an energy efficient model.

But I'd be open to suggestions on a GPU upgrade if that would be a better choice.

Thanks in advance :)

2. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

A Q6600 would probably be one of the best processors on 775, and you could possibly get a few extra Mhz out of it.

As for the GPU, maybe something like a 5770 or 6850, depending on your budget, or a gtx 460. I don't think that board is PCI Express 2.0, so it might effect performance on faster cards.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The best CPU that will work in that work without overclocking is the QX9650. Unfortunately they're rather pricey on ebay (most go for about the same as a new i5 3570k). But you should keep your eye on the market place here for any core2quads that come up, or you could put up a wanted thread.

I'd also go for a GTX 460 1GB, but try and get one with the 256bit memory bus. Later models only had 192bit and it hampered the performance a bit.