1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows BF3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Redbeaver, 3 Dec 2010.

1. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

http://kotaku.com/5705433/the-plan-to-dethrone-call-of-duty

the article is not exactly about BF3, but it mentioned BF3 and nothing else i read stick in my brain.... i only saw... BF3.

any news about it is good news IMHO.

after playing BF2 to death (and to a certain extent, BF2142) and dissapointed with BFBC2 and pretty much every other FPS.... i cant wait for BF3.

if they remake BF2 with a better graphic and new maps, im happy.:rock:

wish lists:
    - 64+ players. this is necessary.
    - jets. on big ass maps. jet fighters. and other vehicles type.
    - did i mention big ass map?
    - challenging and LONG ranking system. ie. i dont want to play for 3 days and gone from PFC to Colonel.... make it like BF2 and make sure out of hundreds of thousands who play, only a handful can be Brig. Gen. and above.
    - ranking up should not gives too much benefits (like unlocking uber weapons and/or player buff) making long time player such a huge advantage against noobs. first day skilled player should be able to make dumbass veterans looked the other way around.
    - dedicated server. duh.

that is all.

anybody else excited about BF3 or are evrybody happy with whatever FPS theyr playing now?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

im very happy with Heavy Metal map on BFBC2.

but i am extremely excited about BF3, finally returning to Battlefield rather than small-scale combat. (aka Bad Company 1/2)

3. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

They could just re-work BF2 and I would still be thrilled

4. Canon

Canon Reformed

Adored BF2, quite enjoyed 2142 aswell. BC was meh. BFBC2 was a huge disappointment from the second I put the disc in the drive, when I eventually got it working it was OK, still having a go at multiplayer to see if it was at all worth it. It's also the most unbalanced multiplayer I've ever seen, if I join a normal match I already know i'll only get a kill if it's a lucky shot, oterwise if it's a head on exchange I've already lost to anyone a higher rank than me, so, why bother playing at all?

64 players worries me, there's always going to be someone with a colossal ping. Tbh it's my preference though, I don't like playing with anymore than 16 people on a map. 8 in total is ideal for me.

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

They really need to pool their experience together well to pull off BF3.

It is inevitable that many of the BF2 players are going to call it a steaming pile of crap because it is not the be-all-and-end-all of FPS team-oriented games.

64-player maps, as well as the scaled-down 32-player maps are what I am looking for, same method as with BF2 in that the maps can simply be scaled for the number of slots available on the server.

64-player is fine, so long as the squads work well and actually play together. 32 is optimal for me, perfect size.

OP mentioned the promotion system. I would like some more lengevity in the method they use, but not the stupid amount that they had in BF2. 100hrs as a commander, sorry, but you can FRO with that one. Unlocks should not happen 10 in one sitting except for things like the defib and so forth. They are actually useful. Realistic unlock speeds, similar to BF2 and I am happy on that front, but some of the achievements/badges need to be toned down (ie, the commander thing).

Jets, oh how I hate you so. The AA systems in BF2 (be it AAA, static, or novie pilots) were terrible. It was like shooting spitwads at tanks... Just didn't do anything.
    Dragon valley, favourite map in the game, but completely ruined if the other team had jets just bombing every single flag and nothing could be done about them (since they bombed our planes). The jets for me were nothing but a pain in the ass. You could be making a fantastic manouever with your squad, taking flags, defending them, evading atillery strikes, hunting snipers, annihilating tanks, then some guy with a joystick comes along and just blows you up with a 2,000lb bomb. It was cheap.
    I know that the jets took skill to fly well, but once you reached that level, you were pretty much untouchable. I have more respect for somebody who can fly a Black Hawk and perfectly circle around a flag giving me a full field of fire with a minigun as my other squad mates secured the flag. It was directly beneficial to the game. Flyboys, to me, are glory hoggers who did not usually contribute to the game. I know alot of people will hate me for that, but that is my stance. Feck knows how many games on Wake Island, Drgon Valley, Peninsula etc were ruined because nobody could do anything to them, and because of them.

The destructable terrain is a must now after BC2. It adds a new dynamic to the game knowing that your cover will never fully shield you from the threats out there and making you move and improvise what you were doing as it was whittled away as you advanced/defended.
    It's a must-have for BF3, otherwise it's a step backwards again.

With the higher-player limit needed for this, there is no way a P2P system would be able to support the traffic that would occur, dedis are a given in all honesty. ZiiP ran a damn fine BF2 server back in the day and we're looking forward to BF3 (so long as they don't c**k it up).

If I can have 6-man squads, the DAO-12, destructible terrain, proper AA (if jets are included), Beer, proper pretzels, and solid mechanics, I am more than happy.

I've been loving BC2 since it kicked off and it shines for me amongst the turds of FPS games out there at the moment. It plays smooth for me (70+fps), only a few lag niggles recently. I have never understood the "über weapons pwns all" arguement that so many seem to have. It's not down to what you have, it's how you use it and react to the situation. Any player is defeatable if you work with your team and communicate. Normal or Hardcore. I've always been a fan of hardcore and I much prefer it in BC2 to normal mode. The health levels are just right, the teamwork is often tighter and you have to have your damn eyes open to be aware of what is going on in your surroundings.
    Managed to keep a positive KDR since i started playing and never has it been a case of "oh he has X, he keeps kicking the crap out of me". It's more like, "I should stop drinking and stop running down the same route and actually pay attention to where the threats are.. then drink more". I find the weapons balanced and good variation available.
    Best shooter available at the moment in my own humble opinion.

*waits for flames on jet comments*...

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Amen to that,

Jet whores suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

....and I was a bit of a jet whore until I realised I was being a tool, I'm also a dab hand at seat switching in the heli and too much of that made me a tool also:(.

Shoulder launched stingers is the way they should have gone, two soldiers with stingers and a two shot kill system and why give the igla's two shots when it wasnt enough to shoot down a jet, bosh bosh both igla's hit the jet and off it flies while your igla takes a week to reload, doh.

More powerful Igla's or every map should have AAA.

7. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

OK good and bad news.

BF2.5 - Dice are apparently releasing BF2 with updated gfx. but tis going to be in an ilk similar to the awful BF heros ie online browser.

BF3 - is gonna be PC/Console Dice have apparently been working to keep the PC players happy and will be releasing large maps that u cant get on console. Running BFBC2 frostbyte engine

Well heres hopeing they getting bf3 right.

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

No jets please. Disregarding the issue of weak AA, the maps are way too small for them.

9. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

BF3 is the only reason I purchased MOH!

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

BF2 wouldn't be complete without air assets, I wouldn't buy BF3 it if it didn't have air assets (it would just be BC2 otherwise) they just have to make it balanced its that simple.

Seeing as BF2 has infantry only maybe there should be the server definable option for no air on all maps as well.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2010
  11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Helicopters are air assets too. Controllable fixed-wing aircraft simply don't belong on BF-sized maps IMO.

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Maps like Highway Tampa and fushe pass are plenty big enough for jets, maybe with BF3 the maps will be larger to accomodate jets better.

Jets are a lov um or hate um issue for BF2 players I know but you can't please everyone.

......and the attack heli's with a decent pilot and decent gunner cause way more trouble and damage than the jets.

13. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

:rock:
    Amen brotha! I was agog at how pants BC2 felt to me coming from BF2 and hearing how many people had deserted it for bad company. I just dont think its very good. Medics get the biggest guns?! infinite sprint??!? no prone??!? im as anti a camper player as it gets but having prone to use was so useful. Pile of gash.

Jets weren't the issue, helicopters were! The tv missle is the bain of a bf2-players life!

Destructable terrain on say a city map with some mad choke points would be awesome. Over time the choke points and camping spots could be levelled by fire opening the area up. That would be a step forward.

Na that would make jets utter pants instead of utter amazing. You cant have played with the 1.5 patch. Even the stinger nests have a really good chance of shooting a jet down. Not to mention the mobile AA, in the right hands its to be feared.

Infantry only is gash really, but it really helped keep the game popular late in its life. The standard of play is teeeerrrrrrible! people camping and defending little bits of hill. Canon-fodder for any decent player. Oh and its medics medics medics everywhere, gah!

Anyway a big hats-off to all the bf2 love here. My favourite game of all time, in all categories. My first online fps but also the one everyother game gets compared against. Nothing so far is anything like as good. Other battlefields, COD games, STALKER multiplayer, counter strike, TF2, none of it comes close to being as chaotic, deep, intensly frustrating yet also very fair (if i wrote a paragraph of reasons why you would agree). It requires enormous, genuine skill and not only twitch reactions, but thinking on your feet to pull of rediculous feets of pwnage.

Retired now until BF3 arrives. To the others pls post your usernames for lulz and shameful bouts of stat comparing. Im Asian_Poo_Grannies , a spec-ops whore, got to 37th for kills for the carbine and 110ish something for total kills as spec ops. Un-loved kits Cheesecake.:rock:

14. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

I used to be the one guy that made it my goal to take down any jets and heli's. there is just one problem, even if I am aiming at the point where the jet is coming from there is only lock on a split second before the jet is straight over my head. witch means that the bombs has already been dropped AND if the jet uses flares I stand NO chance against a jet.

A earlier lock on and a longer engagement range will be a must in BF3, in BF2 you have times where you can see the enemy jet but not lock on as it is out of range, that is frustrating.

While I do sound really negative here I actually like the jets, they are a part of what makes the feel of BF2 so great, you really feel that you are just a small part of a major battle.

15. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I haven't played with patch 1.5 wtf I've been playing on it since it came out and an igla wont take down a jet or a heli with two rockets. Yeh AAA (anti aircraft artilery, mobile AA to you) can be awesome, check out my stats 1421 kills 484 deaths with air defense so I am pretty good with the AAA.

Maps that have jets but no AAA, suck, I gather your a jet whore then?

Unless the plane is damaged IGLA won't do the job, its well out balanced by the jets.

16. Action_Parsnip

Oh no Ive done lots of that. Ive played soo many hours that I can quite easily ***** away a few rounds making it my mission to take down jet whores or tank whores. Mobile AA on dragon valley (theres a spot near the docks where you can drive up onto the side of the cliff, getting halfway along the map no pilot thinks to look for anything there, so you can get the chopper taking off from woodyard and J10s coming out of the airfield) or hiding in the tv-missle-proof trees on Daquing oilfields. Also try hiding in the covered garage bit on gas Station. Thats a beauty of a spot.

Anyways a lock-on isnt necessary to hit aircraft. If your going one-on-one with a jet chances are you will die when it strafes your stinger nest but you can take them down to most of the time. Aim dead centre onto the middle of the plane as its diving towards you and a fraction up. The missles should streak straight ahead and into the plane. Getting both stinger missles to hit will normally destroy the jet or bring it down to burning with 2 red bars of health left.

The thing with bf2 and anti aircraft missles of all types is that there is bit of a knack to it. with the mobile AA you need to shoot as jets are moving away from you for near guaranteed hit accuracy. Generally though i find it best to just face them down, so when they dive to attack you fire at them with the cannons and shoot all 4 missles at them regardless of a lock-on or not. All jets fall very quickly to this. You WILL find that shooting at close targets without a lock will very often result in successful hits. alot of jet pilots do this. Lead shots slightly ahead of your target without a lock-on. in a way, and as stupid as it sounds, waiting for a lock on stops people getting more AA kills.

No igla/stinger WILL more often than not take down a full-health jet with 2 successful hits. Either that or they will be very badly damaged (2 red bars). Choppers are very tough though. Need triple AA for that.

Ive played it since the beginning too, but thats 4 accounts ago:geek:

Na Im not a jet-whore. I suck balls as a jet pilot. Ive tried but im just no good. I'll stick to city maps, with vehicles on. FF too if possible. I usually play alone in a 1 man squad (so i can request arty, vehicles and uav with a chance the comm. might take some notice) as spec-ops getting in behind flags ad flanking where possible. The carbines are also very quiet which is good for such things.

Whats your usernames @ both of you? and whats your usual servers?? ...I might pop-out of retirement to say hello, and pop 1 in your head :D

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

CaptainCrapBag (HOTW)

Thats our server 193.93.47.149:16569

18. Action_Parsnip

Ah thats right, I remember you now! ...you warned me about hopping. Hopping is in my blood. That and tropical parasites

19. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Doesn't ring a bell, but no bunnies on HOTW.
    :D
    Your gaming name = Action-parsnip?

20. Action_Parsnip

I was Asian_Poo_Grannies, did a round of jalabad on your server with like 11 people on the server inf. only. Some rpk-74 nubs started a kick vote on me

....round took about 45 mins lol

:D