1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics BFG GTX 260 - DEAD :waah:

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ta10n, 10 Apr 2011.

1. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

This card actually kicked the bucket a few months ago, but I decided to throw it back in my rig to see if I could figure out what the hell was wrong. Luckily I've got another 260, so I haven't been missing out on any gaming :D

Anyway, I realized that theres an internal status LED on the card that's lighting up. It's amber/yellow, located near the SLI connectors and it's called DC2. Apparently it lights when the card is overheating (like catastrophically). Problem is I'm sure it isn't overheating. I took it apart, checked the heatsink contacts and regreased it, still no-go. During start up the light turns on and the cards fan stays off for a few seconds then comes on full tilt (with no video signal). By contrast my eVGA 260 kicks up to medium-ish speed within a second or so of power on.

The big killer is that it's a BFG so I can't exactly RMA it :sigh:

I was considering baking it (along with a 8800GTS that died a few years ago), but I figured I'd ask if anyone had some other words of wisdom first. My best guess is either total catastrophic failure, or the thermal diode has been buggered and is stopping the card from working (though one of the thermal safeties maybe).

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

*doh. just when i thought it was upgrade time :D

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

1x Geforce GTX 260 is still good until Nvidia next card expected to be announced sometime this year (probably end of year, if no delays).

Yea, it sucks that BFG closed :(
    I also have one, and I like their after sale service. Very friendly, and descent replacement speed.

4. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

Indeed, would be great if I could yoke the BFG back into SLI though, save me the expense.

I have a friend who's had quite an experience with BFG support. If I remember correctly he had to RMA his 7900GTX 4 times. They sent him another bundle each time, so he's got like 5 BFG T-shirts :D

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Ah sucks. Well at least he had free T-Shirts.
    Hey dude, you wearing the same T-shirt 5 days in a row, what the hell?! No no no, they are 5 different, I swear :)

6. Deders

Deders Modder

Can you not RMA it to the shop you bought it from?

7. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

Don't think so. Got it as a gift like 2 (or 3?) years ago. If memory serves most shops will only do the RMA's for the first year, you have to go direct to the manufacturer after that. Doesn't help that the manufacturer doesn't exist anymore :waah: