1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware BFGTech GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 Nov 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Major

Major Guest

Nice one Tim.

Think I'm going to leave buying a GPU until Xmas, and if the ATi cards are decent with a good price, I'll go Xfire. :)

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i wonder what would happen if you guys at bit over clocked one of these babies with a bigger cooler and made it faster than an ultra.... but that is just dreaming......

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

oh, I'm sure it would be if you overclocked it sufficiently far enough :D

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

the only problem with the 8800 GT is that neither scan nor overclockers nor komplett have a single 8800 GT in stock....

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

Nobody has stock... not even Newegg. :(

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

the bad stock situation gives me a good reason to wait for the cutdowns of the next highend cards well, atleast i'm saving some money, thx for not having the cards in retail nvidia:naughty:

8. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

I'd hold off if they did have stock, at least till the new year. The blatant gouging by retailers has put me off a bit.

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I was hearing reports of faulty or a bad batch of 8800GT devices. Maybe thats why there is no stock. Something to do with the cooler not spinning up to cool down the gpu. Some reported 90c while the cooler was just around 20% rpm. Or that overheating memory causes it.

More info you can find...

here and here and here and here and so on...

But then again.. [H] claims it is not true..

So i dont really know either

Last edited: 13 Nov 2007
  10. Tejstar

Tejstar What's a Dremel?

I was luck enough to get one of these for £160 from play.com recently. Haven't had any problems so far - brilliant card!

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've had a Zotac returned before review already, that was a very early sample that was just sent to press but has been fixed. Can't say I've heard about anything specifically - but it might just be some bad BIOS chips?

12. CoolZone

CoolZone What's a Dremel?

8800gt is much better than the old GTS series

13. sl1xx

sl1xx What's a Dremel?

waiting to see how these cards stack up against crysis then i might get one bit gutted really tho not long had my 8800gts oc2.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

I spoke to BFGTech about this last week and the response I got was that returns were no different than normal. Support calls have been in single figures which, considering the amount of 8800 GT cards sold, is a minuscule amount.

The Zotac card that Richard talks about was a very early sample and there was a problem with the thermal paste - this was caught and rectified before the launch.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ah that was it - thermal paste. Yea, none made the channel from their stocks.

From the link the BFG woman has had "175 calls" and earlier today Nvidia were quoting Tim very large numbers sold, so, uh, yea.

16. fri2219

fri2219 What's a Dremel?

Best year ever for PC Games? Since the game industry consolidated, it's the same damn game over and over and over and over and over again. How many times can you add chrome onto a first person shooter and call it a new game? (Apparently quite a bit)

Wake me when the same year has actually new games, like Sim City, Tetris, Bolo, etc...

As for being a great value- how many tons of carbon a year are these monsters putting into the atmosphere? Price in the cost of the electricity these suckers are going to waste in your calculations, and they don't look so great. In that respect, almost every board release in the last three years has been a replay the inane Hz marketing Intel foisted on consumers in the 90's.

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

If I were you, I'd stick with running that P75 of yours... it's not going to eat the atmosphere. :rolleyes:

Oh and as for gaming, it's a matter of opinion - after all, that's what a review is if I wasn't mistaken.

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

in fact power consumption has gone down..... try to calculate the performance per watt on a P2, a P4 and a core 2 duo or more modern, and while you are at it, try to do the same with the graphics cards but consider the 8800GT that consumes less power than any decent and modern GPU i know.

Tags: Add Tags