1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bios, not a simple thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 1 Dec 2006.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Hello,

I am after some help, is there anyone round here that is a HEX programmer?

I would like someone to modify my shuttle SN41G2 V1 bios to give it muiltiper control and voltage control on the board.

All friend excepted, links to places to find the info to do this.

Thank you.

2. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

your going to want to head over to www.xtremesystems.org/forums/ they have a modded bios thread and some of the best bios modders around, im sure they might be able to help you out.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

thank you, there is alot of guys over there. but there are also alot of unanswer posts aswell :(

4. riggs

riggs ^_^

Now, this isn't going to be much help as I don't have links, but there's a BIOS editor program floating around on the net.

I had a poke around the BIOS of an SN41 a few years back and found that there are quite a lot of extra options that aren't normally available (can't remember if there was voltage/multiplier control though - I was more interested in AGP options at the time).

I think the app was called modbin...

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Was gonna suggest the same. I'd be willing to have a look for you (if you can get a dump of your current bios) however I wouldn't be able to guarantee that the board would live after!

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Try and track down a guy called Tic Tac on the XS forums, if he's feeling friendly he'll know everything you need.

7. riggs

riggs ^_^

I actually killed my BIOS the first time I messed around with modbin. Enabled a non-default option, and accidently (stupidly) set it to 'always enabled' - fired up the machine and nothing...wouldn't even POST.
    Ended up having to hot-swap the BIOS chip on my 2nd machine and reflash with the original SN41 BIOS. Worked like a charm!

Burnout21: I had a quick look at the SN41 BIOS last night (v1, v2 and v3), and I'm afraid there are no hidden options for voltages or multipliers. tbh, I think it's actually a hardware limitation - remember, it's the SN45 (with it's NForce2-Ultra chipset) that was released as the 'gaming/tweaking' model.

The only way you'll get volt/multi tweaks is by using the pin mod trick. But I wouldn't recommend it...

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

why wouldn't you recommend the wire trick? iv seen a few peoples sigs with the trick done. but what effects would it have on the machines bios?

9. TMM

TMM Modder

None at all. When you wiremod it you are locked into the mod. IIRC the voltages and multi in the bios have no effect at all. To change them you have to take out the CPU and alter the wire configuration.

Usually people wiremod AthlonXPs to change the default FSB (even though you still manually adjust the FSB in the bios. E.g. it just makes the board think that your 333fsb CPU is really a 400fsb cpu), which for some reason lets the CPUs overclock better.

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Thats what i thought but are friend made it sound worse.

No offence.

Thanks for the help.

il try the wire mod in 2 weeks when i get home from uni. also take some pic's and do a thread, a clear thread listing all the problems that may occur?

Plus a hugh project log on a neatly water cooled v1000+ aquacompter and innvotek :D