1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming BioShock Gameplay Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Aug 2007.

1. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Hilarious :D What is it with all the drama queens these day's. That reminds me of the post in the Bourne Ultimatum:

Yawn at the people who just always HAVE TO complain about something

2. Henk

Henk Uninformed Opinionist

Well, just played the demo, and as soon as you fall over the small balchony, and the little sister talks to you, I was hooked. The mind-numbing graphics and audio didn't make things better either :D I'm buying it as soon as I've got my Q6600 - not that the game needs it, the demo ran quite fine with only very few minor slowdowns, but hey, for the future! :thumb:

3. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

actually this brings up an interesting question
    has anyone played it on a quad core and whats the cpu utilisation look like?
    i just ran through the demo again with task manager on the other screen and it was using 100% of one core and like 60%ish of the other most of the time

4. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

*enters thread*

*explosions fill the sky and tracer rounds light up the night sky*

*A shell lands nearby*

*gets blown out of thread*

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

There's actually an option to increase the number of threads the Havok Physics engine uses in the config files - I'll have a play in a bit.

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Did you like it, then, Joe?

P

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Nah, he truly hated it. When he was talking about the game, you'd occasionally have to remind him to breathe. :D

Fear not though, his silence today isn't because he literally stopped breathing, it's because he's out of the office today playing a few more cool games... he'll be reporting on those soon. ;)

8. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Regarding the widescreen/4:3 discussion, I've known girls to complain about a few inches, but I never thought us lads would be arguing over them:D
    Made me laugh reading threw all that. I'm sure which ever way you choose to view the game, it won't lesson the experience. Now go play.:D

Last edited: 21 Aug 2007
  9. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Yep, I was already gonna buy this one but now I think I'll splurge out the extra cash and get me the collectors edition with the Big Daddy figure.
    Just have to keep it out of the wife's line of sight or she'll tell me to get rid of it just like my Master Chief figure - didn't do that though, I just hid it.

10. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

QFT! and welcome to the forums :thumb:

11. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Oh, appernetly if I turn off post effects processing, the games great, and still looks amazing.

Nevermind.

12. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I am rather pleased by this fact. I'm running at 1024x728 with my 6600gt just fine with HQ post processing/shadows, turned off, and medium actors.

13. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Got this 2 hrs ago (it came before the actual release time) And its pretty awesome, it plays sorta like condemned. witch isn't bad i liked that game. and i like bioshock. i can't really criticizes the game i just started playing it but it looks amazing and feels great (360 version) i don't have a decent pc yet.

Top 5 fps
    Hl2
    system shock 2
    bioshock
    far cry
    Cs/source (feel the same about both.)

14. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

An 8800GTX *is* better than an 8600. A 1440x900 screen (19" widescreen) is not better than a 1280x1024 screen (19" standard). It doesn't cost any more and it doesn't have any inherent better features. It simply has a different aspect ratio. Think of it as someone chapping some pixels off the top and putting them down the side.

Now explain to me why the owner of the widescreen should have such a radically different user experience to the standard screen owner.

The horizontal FOV is the most important metric - and the devs have chosen to keep that the same for 360 owners, widescreen owners and standard screen owners. Seems like a reasonable approach to me.

It seems like you guys are expecting something extra because you have widescreen - but all it means is that your pixels are arranged in a different configuration.

15. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Although humans get more horizontal FOV than vertical, it comes at a price.
    Humans cant see colours or shapes out of the central vision area, its the brain that "paints and shapes" the objects outside the central area.
    If you put a coca-cola bottle out of your central vision its your brain thats telling you it is red, not your eyes.
    The peripheral vision was designed to capture movement not details.
    The central vision (the one that gets you colour, shape and movement) has a more or less oval shape, slightly more wider than taller.

As for monitors, what matters to me is the area of the monitor. A 19" full screen has a similar area to a 20" widescreen. The 19" wide screen is smaller than the 19" full screen.

16. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

That doesn't sound very true, poor eyesight (short and long sighted) is caused (normally?) in the eyes, I reject the notion that there is something wrong with my brain because I cannot see past the end of my nose unaided :naughty:

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

But it wouldn't be a reduction, 4:3 viewers should get the same view, it's just widescreen viewers get added view not reduced, that's the way I've always seen it, and that's why I watch targat SG- on TV. I remember an article here about triple monitors, that would be pointless if all it did was cut the top and bottom from your image. The whole point of widescreen is it's more like the aspect ratio you see in, but by cutting off the top and bottom, instead of adding to the sides, it makes widescreen utterly pointless.

Doesn't bother me too much though, wait, actually it does a little thinking about it, because the VGA system on the 360 is so retarded, on my 4:3 monitor I get a letterboxed picture :doh: Does Bioshock letterbox the picture via VGA? I can't remember myself from the demo.

In any case, the pixel stealage is a minor inconvenience, bit stupid though.

But when you play an FPS you mainly focus on the centre of the screen, where you're aimer is, where you are looking, the rest of the screen is still in your periphs, it's not like you're focusing on the entire screen at once.

You forced him away from Bioshock? And there I was thinking you were a nice person :p

18. koffan

koffan What's a Dremel?

I would like to know if the run speed is the same in PC build as 360 version, i thought it was kinda 2 fast on PC; information plz!

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Just managed to have a quick play.. i'm not sure my nerves are up to a more than half an hour of that a time.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

***Impar goes googling for two minutes***
    Peripheral vision is weaker in humans, compared with other animals, especially at distinguishing color and shape. This is because the density of receptor cells on the retina is greatest at the center and lowest at the edges (see visual system for an explanation of these concepts). In addition, there are two types of receptor cells, rod cells and cone cells; rod cells are unable to distinguish color and are predominant at the periphery, while cone cells are concentrated mostly in the center of the retina (the macula).
    Peripheral vision is good at detecting motion (a feature of rod cells), and is relatively strong at night or in the dark, when the lack of color cues and lighting makes cone cells far less useful. This makes it useful for avoiding predators, who tend to hunt at night and may attack unexpectedly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Image comes from here:
    http://www.abledata.com/abledata_docs/Distance_Perception.htm

Also, its of the monitors manufacturers interest to sell wide screens instead of full screens. They get a much better use of the panels that way, manging to sell more monitors with the same use of area panel.

Tags: Add Tags