1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Bit-Tech Folding@Home Team (CLOSED: now superseded by joint CPC/bit-tech team)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Byron C, 2 Aug 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

* Dick Dastardly * Damn, dratt and double drat! * Dick Dastardly *

[SeVeReDhEaD] - You're right mate. I was going to do a list of people on there who aren't actually active but theres more dormant than active.

Out of 37 members there are only 10 who've had any CPUs active in the last 50 days :sigh: so I suppose the score is pretty good considering!

I can't believe the Custom PC team has only been going a while and they're sub 70th in the Global tables and they only have 600 members.

You'd think we could do a 'bit' (pardon the pun) better with the number of members the bit-tech forums have. We only need 20-30 hard core folders and we'd be away.

The problem is it's just not as popular as Seti - the whole ET thing has much more appeal to the 'nerd' :thumb: community.

2. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum What's a Dremel?

Started up two 2.2gHz running folding today. I'll leavei t over the weekend and see if I can manage to send work units or something...

3. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I have only a p4 2.4 running now as I stopped my home net connection and it doesn't look like I will get another set up before a month or two.

4. cogitoergosum

Well the plan is to run at least ten comps in the lab with f@h if I can get these two to work. Eventually all 30 will be working on it! heheh 30 x 2.2gHz = 66gHz. Harharar

5. Endoxus

Endoxus What's a Dremel?

Hi guys

had afew problems with my setup. i am trying to run the folding client as a system service, after refering to FAQ on the folding site i worked it out but me system will not return completed work loads. i have done quite a few so far and they arnt going anywhere, also my name is not listed on the folding site.

on top of that my machine is taking a long time to process units. i had it on for over 22 hours and it was only half way through one unit. this was with no other stuff running behind it. (3gh P4), what is going on here.

twice my work unit have had to be restarted, the log file informs me that there are errors and it is restarting file.............annoying.

so ill kepp at it and let you know when my 5 machines are up

6. cogitoergosum

Well...no dice. can't send back the work units once I'm complete. Oh well.

7. jetsetjimbo

The client can be a bit flakey... I think the time work units take to complete can vary independantly of the size (in points) of the actual unit. Seems to here anyway.

8. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Once I get my new motherboard tommorow to replace this spare one I'm using I'm going to download the program and get folding, I used to do SETI @ Home but to think about it, would you rather save peoples lives? or search for bloody aliens which probably don't even exist, I chose lives :rock:

9. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

okies, despite an extended period offline (ntl cablemodem died off in the heat.... cooled every part of my pc except for the damned cablemodem!) im back and folding again. atm its only this machine, the cablemodem has claimed 8 fans to keep it cool, so the other machines are offline until this hot weather goes away.

10. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Heh, I bet I could make fried eggs on my cable modem :hip:

11. mushky

mushky gimme snails

i just signed up :p

Is there any way to get it to run as a screensaver, like SETI?

also, why is our home page not listed here?

12. jetsetjimbo

I don't think the standard client has a screen saver option (I could be wrong though but its not overly apparent if it's there). There could be some other software that'll do it for you, check the F@H forums... your system will fold faster without the graphics anyway - command line is the best ;)

I have no idea about the homepage, could be it had to be put on when the team was started? Some teams have logos as well.

I'll see if I can find out.

Welcome aboard by the way :thumb: How many CPUs you hoping to get going?

*EDIT*

I have had a look on the site and it seems you need a user name and password to do any admin, I've mailed BLC. You can use it as a ScreenSaver as well - shows how well I read the documentation :hehe:

*EDIT*

Last edited: 12 Aug 2004
  13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Cool :)

Depends on how well I can get the screensaver to work, i.e. to run the program while the computer is not in use. I think I should be able to get 3 or 4 celleron 400s going for about 18 hours/day and maybe a P3 700 at the weekends.

depends tho..

/off to f@h forums :p

14. jetsetjimbo

The whole ownership of teams is a bit dodgey from what I can gather.

Basically if the founder wants to rename the team they can at any time :sigh:

We'll have to see what BLC says...

15. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

I think i might join up, i've already done 114 WU's for Moddin'.net.

16. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

hehe, then its our turn to get 114 wu's ;)

good to see you on board :)

17. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I can't get the console client to run unless I'm logged in as admin. Even if i run it in a folder that I have Full control access rights. I logged in as admin to get it started which was ok, but when i logged back in with my user account, it wouldnt work again.

any ideas?

error message-
    Folding@home Core Shutdown: INTERRUPTED

then something about not being able to get work, even though I got work already when logged in as admin...
    :sigh:

18. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

hmmmm, this is an odd one. log in as admin, and check the dolder and file properties, make sure all users have full access to it, and check that the console application isnt running as a seperate user (you can check what user its running as with the ctrl-alt-del task manager).

failing that, try erasing the client, and d/l'ing the latest version from the site, its just been upgraded, so now you can install it as a system service, and it should be able to run fine, because they run evenwhen no user is logged in.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Erm....... Oh dear.... :blush:

I'm really sorry guys....

I won't go into it, but I haven't really been using the internet for a long time now; this is literally the first time I've checked my email in over 8 months (I've had a hell of a lot going on in Real Life(tm)...)...

So as you can guess, I've not really been around to monitor the F@H team progress. I've got no excuse really, but I never anticipated that it would still be going over a year since I first started it (02-08-2003, 17:37). I'll be in contact with jetsetjimbo asap to find out exactly what is required to transfer team ownership.

Bascially, it's been a while since I set it all up, so I'm really not sure what needs to be done at this point. I *will* be posting here to let you all know!

20. mushky

mushky gimme snails

The thing is I dont want it running all the time, only between specific hours. I was planning on using windows task scheduler to run the client every so often.

:duh: just realised as I was typing that that you can specify which user to run a task as. I'll see if I can get the scheduler to run it as admin.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.