1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bit-tech GPU reviews - feedback please!

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Dogbert666, 29 Apr 2019.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Hello lovely people!

It's that time where I can no longer ignore that our GPU benchmarks are long in the tooth and need an update to newer/more demanding titles. Before I go about refreshing them all, however, I wanted to put it to the community and ask what you would like to see from our GPU reviews. What do we do right, what do we do completely wrong, what do you want to see more/less of, etc.?

The current approach is six carefully chosen games (different APIs, different engines), a bunch of synthetics (very useful for letting our readers compare their own performance), power/thermals, and overclocking. I believe this allows us to capture enough data as to whether a card is worth your cash or not.

I would like to finally add some proper noise testing, which I'll start looking into. Repeatable, reliable results are more important to me than having numbers for the sake of it, though, and noise testing is highly variable, especially in the current work environment, so no promises.

Crypto, rendering, and record/capture are other areas we could explore, but gaming will remain the focus in GPU reviews.

Basically, what data is most important to you when considering a new GPU purchase, and how is it best presented? Feel free to reference competitors.

I understand that the needs of someone buying 2080 Ti might be different to those of someone buying a 1660, but the core benchmarks need to be scalable from top to bottom. We can look into additional testing for high-end cards where it's worth it.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Far Cry 5 and Division 2 spring to mind. That's Duna? And Snowdrop? Covered. Metro Exodus would be nice also. RAGE 2 shall be upon us soon too, so please try to cover as many new titles as you can. I'll be honest I've found BT reviews waning something rotten and useless to me to compare my card in the latest games to new cards.

Then obviously BF5 and heck you would even use that new RT Star Wars Demo aswell.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you want to stay with the 6 games format, the 6 I would use in no particular order:
    1: Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    2: BF5
    3: Either F1 2018 or Dirt Rally 2 (yes I know... F1 2019 is around the corner, so replace as appropriate based on timeline)
    4: Far Cry New Dawn
    5: Overwatch (yes it runs on a potato so not of much interest for those looking at the high end cards, but for low ends cards it would be nice to have it in the stable)
    6: Hitman 2

As for the synthetic benchmarks I couldn't care less and would not mind if every single reviewer boycotted them, but others are likely to disagree so whatever floats your boat.

Including rendering seems like a good idea to me, Blender CUDA / OpenCL seems like a safe bet?

Power & thermals? Just keep them as you do them now.

4. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Concerning noise, I often find that reviews do not account for fan curves that bias for different thermal targets. If something is hot and quiet, or cool but loud, it is hard to tell which is actually the better card after some trivial optimisation by the user.

If you could measure a "noise at a constant 80 degrees" or some similar measure, I would find that very useful :)

wolfticket likes this.
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Linux compatibility.

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

adidan, perplekks45 and The_Crapman like this.
  6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

TPU-style performance-per-watt and performance-per-pound (£) charts would be nice.

edzieba and MLyons like this.
  7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Year of Linux on the desktop!!!

adidan, yuusou and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

You might want to add forkknife, apex or pubg to the games roster if you can. Especially at the lower end of things that's what a not inconsiderable chunk will be playing.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Frame times.

While I'd be happy ditching FPS altogether, I understand that "bigger number means more better" is popular for mass-market clicks. However, generating FPS (both average and instantaneous) is possible from recorded frametimes, going the other way is not possible. 2011's Inside the Second is as relevant today as it was 8 years ago, even moreso if you're interested in VR (where frame latency is king).

adidan and perplekks45 like this.
  10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Percentiles (0.1% lows, etc) is always nicer to see than the absolute lowest frame rate.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I think having an equivalent card from the previous 2-3 generations is helpful when trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it. Although 'equivalent card' has got a lot more complicated recently thanks to Nvidia almost doubling of their product stack and separation of RTX and GTX and even based on price would be a mine field.

E.g. New 2070, how does it compare to 1070 and 970.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2019
    CrapBag, adidan and Omnislip like this.
  12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Frame times, ray tracing settings, continue to include GTX 10xx, ... just off the top of my head.

13. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Any chance of adding the 21:9 3440*1440 resolution in?

14. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

THIS... not sure what percentage of the market upgrades their GPU more than annually, but some kind of throwback to older GPU's would be interesting.

Maybe... even use (this is where I get a black mark from the mod's) World of Warcraft to compare how much improvement the newer GPU's give for the other 'standard kit'...?

15. perplekks45

I agree with the above. A comparison of (9xx,?) 10xx, 16xx, and 20xx would be very interesting. I understand why you remove older cards from the graphs (re-testing with new drivers is too much work, having sent them back, ...) but I also think there are still a lot of people on "old" hardware.

16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Is there is WoW benchamrk I can just click "benchmark" and walk away and it'll do? If so Then it's a maybe.
    We normally keep 1 of every card. It's hard due to benchmark and driver changes but I wonder if we could do it better.

17. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Not that I'm aware of... it's the only game I play, so knowing whether other ones do/don't (I'm guessing more do than don't) is not in my remit... sadly.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 May 2019
  18. perplekks45

The main reason I'm saying that is that I know quite a few people on geforce 9 series cards thinking about upgrading to 10/16/20 series cards or Radeon vii/580/590, but it's hard to find an overview of three generations of cards, let alone four.

Also, just throwing it out there, maybe test with a very mainstream CPU (2600x/9600k)? I know you're trying to avoid CPU bottlenecks, but an "average rig" graph might help some people to better estimate the performance of GPU X in their current system.

19. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Do many games last long enough to cover 4 generations of GPU these days?
    Yeah, I don't play more than one title... but do the 'current six' titles even get acknowledged by cards as old as nVidia 9xx, for comparison's to be viable?

Going back a while Crysis was a GPU killer for ages; is there anything like that these days?

Last edited by a moderator: 6 May 2019
  20. TechnoMod87

TechnoMod87 What's a Dremel?

probably need the resolution 21:9 3440*1440