1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Bit-tech League of Legends thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Djayness, 19 Jan 2011.

1. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Noob here:

If you buy boots, then buy some better boots do the old ones get replaced and you dont get anything for them ?

Anyone got any tips for playing ryze?

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

All of the more expensive boots are upgrades of the most basic boot. For example, if you've purchased the basic boot (sorry, I forget the name. It's the cheapest one) then go to buy an upgraded version such as Berserker Greaves the cost of the boot you already have will be subtracted from the total cost of the Berserker Greaves. The actual item will be consumed and replaced with the new boot.

Sorry if that's a bit confusing, I don't remember the exact names for any of the boots or items required to upgrade from the basic boots. Long story short the basic boots get combined with another item to make better boots.

One thing to watch out for, though, is that if you do buy two different boots the speed bonus won't stack. You'll still get any other stats and effects, but only the fastest speed bonus will be used.

wiggles likes this.
  3. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

It should probably be pointed out that this is the same for all items. if you click on an item, in the window on the right you can see the items that build into that item (assuming it isn't a base level item in itself) for instance:

Archangels staff costs 2855g.
    This is made up of:
    Tear of the goddess 995g
    Blasting Wand 860g.

If you had the blasting wand and the tear of the goddess (and had therefore spent 1855 gold) it would cost you 1000 gold to buy the archangels, and you would 'lose' the tear and the blasting wand from your inventory, to be replaced by the Archangels.

It is worth remembering this, because there will be times where you have a component for two different items, and the game will tell you that it will cost you x amount to buy each of these items (based upon the fact that you have the component) then if you think you have enough money to buy them both outright, because you only had one of the component, you end up being shy of the money. Example:

You have a Cloak of agility (830g)
    You want to buy an Infinity Edge (3830g for the whole item) and a Phantom Dancer (2845g for the whole item)
    If you then look in the shop, it will tell you that to buy an infinity edge, you only need 3k gold, and to buy a phantom dancer, it will cost you 2015 gold. You go back to the shop just as you hit 5015 gold, attempt to buy both, but end up 830 gold short, because your cloak of agility was used up in one of the upgrades, and then obviously needs to be bought a second time.

It sounds silly, but the number of times where I've been in this situation with Ashe before and bought a phantom dancer before an infinity edge, to be short of the money, is irritating (though 100% my fault.)

As far as playing ryze goes, I've never played him, but I'll give you the suggestion I give for playing all characters. take a look at leaguecraft and Solomid for well written/rated guides that play how you want to play the champion. Try to find the most updated guides, as character mechanics often change from patch to patch, as different skills get nerfed/buffed.. Then roll a few normal games and see how it goes. After a few games with the character (5 or so i guess) once you understand the basic mechanics of the player, see if you can find a stream of someone playing the character (solomid, own3D I'm sure there are
    more).

If you are relatively new to the game, the only other thing I'd mention is runes. buy tier 1 runes for the character you play the most, and then skip tier 2 and just save for tier 3 runes. Also, for the most part I find that personally flat runes have a far greater impact than ones that get better each level (though there are exceptions, like magic resist glyphs)

I've been messing around with Ace client recently. I like the ability to change the recommended items on characters, it saves time when going to the shop, and more importantly I don't need to have the shop up during a blue pill looking for the item I need (i must have died at least 20 times or so over the hundreds of games while staring at the shop while B'ing).

wiggles likes this.
  4. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Thanks for you help Sloth and Edwards.

I quite like playing Ryze. Going to have to learn another char for when hes taken though.

5. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Can anyone recommend a non-carry for a noob?

I want someone to play when I can't play Ryze, who I do like.

Tried Yorick, he sucks.

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I have a few issues with yorick, haven't played him but from what I've seen is if you build him tanky / tanky dps he doesn't do enough dmg. You build him dps and he can't survive and goes down to quickly. There is no comfy middle to make him a decent pick over any other tanky dps character. He was supposed to get a big buff this recent patch but I haven't read the patch notes to see. Non-carry's look more for the support or melee characters imo.

7. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Non-Carry will put you as either tank, off tank or support. You could try Zilean? He should use most of the same runes as Ryze, can poke for a fair amount of damage while speeding up/slowing down players and reviving teammates in fights. Not played him myself, but it's always annoying going up against one.

Can't wait for the new champion this week, spotlight looked awesome. I think she'll be the first champ I've bought on release. Also, that knight Amumu skin is incredible. Must have.

8. mansueto

I'm working on learning annie, I need more people to play in ranked games. As of now I only really use Jarvan, Warwick, blitz, ashe and kennen in ranked. Jarvan, warwick and blitz im positive with, but ashe and kennen I'm not doing great with. I need more variety with higher tier champs.

9. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Who's on a string of defeats right now ?

*Raises hand*

Just a few highlights from my Recently Played:

Rumble - 10/8/1 - Pure DPS Jarvan that kept playing like Tank Jarvan, diving in 1v5 and dying almost instantly... also an Orianna that hurt like hell with just Catalyst + Sorc Shoes (and i had 75 MR already).

Pantheon - 13/6/8 - I don't even remember what happened this game.

Annie - 14/6/2 - My most recent game, completely terrible Urgot and Lee Sin bot lane that fed a Lee Sin / Udyr combo. Trynd who used his Ult at half HP... just such a bad game overall.

And they say you can carry yourself out of ELO Hell... pah.

10. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Double Post.

11. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

*raises hand*

Not played that much recently to be honest. One of the guys we normally play with has been away for a few weeks, and we've gotten sick to death of randoms losing us games. By the time someone gets to level 30 you would expect people to understand about overextension, and just general bad play.

They say you can carry yourself out of ELO hell, but usually as a pair, rather than solo. Can't say that I'm overly enamored with ranked though, we don't play it much. Maybe if we had a solid 5 man team, but we don't.

12. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

Been playing Maokai in the free week recently, and having a lot of fun with him. Definitely not the most powerful hero but good fun and a good support hero (which is the kind of role I like).

Any tips for playing him? I've mostly been going for sapling and the entanglement abilities first, focusing on sapling. Items are pretty much what the recommended list says.

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Finally won!

Went back to Alistar as a Tanky AP machine.

Also helped our Jax get fed in lane so lategame he was crushing. Made a few bad initiates, especially one where i flashed over a wall to Pulverise/Headbutt Annie back into our team and missed the Pulverise, but all in all it was close, but not complete domination.

And on a side note, i remember that Panth game now... it was a noob Eve (and i mean, new to Eve) and an AD Orianna.

I was with a friend :(... we both were doing fine, just the randoms... gah the randoms!

My friend plays a lot of Maokai, but i think it's just a character he just meshes well with and is very confident with.

I personally like going a Singed route of RoA -> Tank Items, but my friend personally doesn't think he scales well enough to justify the AP.

In general you're just a damage soaking machine with a ton of CC (Snare, Knockup).

Personally i focus on R > Q > W > E, but the high ELO do state that Sapling is better for harass (i can just never properly hit the things).

14. mansueto

My friend who I always play ranked with plays Maokai every now and then. I like him because he's flexible. He can fill the roll of an off tank and soak up dmg while CC'ing a lot of people, or if you get a good lane and are farming / get fed early on he can do some pretty good dmg as a beefy AP char. I've been playing ashe, annie, jarvan and the new hero. I think she's pretty well balanced, and I think that her aura spell is awesome. At level 5 it gives a bonus 70 MR and Armor which is awesome. The way I've been building here when I use that skill both resists are in the 230-250 range I believe. It's actually rediculous.

15. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

I've really enjoyed playing Leona. My only issue with her (and it is fairly minor) is that she is very team dependant. Her passive sums her up very well, you can initiate on a team and CC the crap out of them, but you need other people there to proc the passive and generally do damage. That said; the sheer amount of CC she has available to her is crazy. I adore the skillshot she has, it is what makes her so much fun to play IMO.

16. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Nice Patch this week =].

New Models and Animations for Kayle, Janna and Trynd.

As well as both the Trynd and Kayle reworks.

Monkey King looks rather interesting and tactical... don't think he's in your facemelt like Xin is, however if played properly could be rather strong.

I'll also actually get to try Leona out this patch =]. Opinion on her seems to be mixed, although in general it's that she's fun, but slightly UP... simply because her damage mid-late game tapers off very heavily and she doesn't present enough of a reason to focus her in teamfights.

17. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Last edited: 26 Jul 2011
  18. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Recently had another stint of playing LoL. (I still prefer playing HoN, but LoL is good if i just want an easier game)

Tried making an AP build of Cho'gath.....oh my it's fun. Your abilities hit like a truck, and you generally have enough health with his ult to be able to do some really fun tower dives.

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

It does seem the general state of random LoL players seems to be getting dumber and dumber, whilst also trash talking more and more. It's sad really, I think I'm going to go back to my standard /ignore everyone when I get into a game.

20. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Hey,

Seth what is a losing streak?