1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Black Dragon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TATH, 23 Jun 2015.

1. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Yes finaly.

I have the bottomplate in the pedestel.

The 2mm bottomplate has 2 different colors. Aluminium and the other side is matt black RAL 9005.
    Because the intention is that the pedestel is closed you dont see the color. Thats why i deside to put the color side pointing to the outside.

I removed the side panels that where on the case for lining out the case.
    The avoiding the plate to move when i drill the 35 holes in i secure it with a bunch of clamps.
    The white is protection film of the color side.

[​IMG]

The inner angles are 40 x 20 x 2mm so i thougt to connect the plate to the frame with 3mm countersink screws. I draw a line 1 cm from the edge of the 40 mm angle. This way the plate is better connected to the frame.
    avery 10 cm i put a mark where to drill a hole for the screws.
    I used a sharp screw and a hammer to mark the drill point.

[​IMG]

Because i dont want screws pointing out in the case i have to shorten them. For this i just use a old piece of angle and put 3mm tread in it.
    I need 35 x 3,5 mm countersink screws to hold the plate. So that is a lot of cutting with the dremel.

[​IMG]

Finaly al srews are in. Job don. And i am already thinking about the feet that i need for under the case.
    I have the casters but i thingking about making acrylic coloms black and clear with leds in it.

[​IMG]

Yes i am verry happy with the result. No screws in the case are visible "clean build thats how i call it".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumb:

2. TATH

TATH Minimodder

:rolleyes:Custum feed for the case.

Looking on the internet for acrylic claws "yes claws ".
    No claws. Found the compounts to cast acrylic. "But i think at the moment that wil cost me ages to finish".

So here is the plan:

i make 5 piramids from acrylic. and drill holes in it from above and put som leds in it.
    But before i can put them under the case i have to shape them. So the next few days it is just me the acrylic blocks and much sandpaper.
    Or do i get a sandmachine.

Still have a big chunk of that firebrigade sign. 8mm thick.
    So i start with putting tape on it for the measurements.
    I want 6 blocks 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 cm.
    I have a new sawblade in the jigsaw. "O yes it is like a razor knife so sharp"

[​IMG]

Still got a big piece left.

[​IMG]

I think sawing out the pieces took about 30 minutes.
    I'm not sure if i going to use 5 or 4 of them..
    To get a idee how it is going to look you have to look at the upper right one.

[​IMG]

:D

3. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Ye piramid feet.

Got a few plates in shape. "have to remeasure them after the update".

To give you a idee how it looks i quick took som shots.

Yes sand til your fingers drop of.
    Ha ha and it is just the first one.

[​IMG]

Folow this trick :D

[​IMG]

What is different then the pictures before. !:confused:

[​IMG]

Forgot one plate "six plates"

4. TATH

TATH Minimodder

:DStill not finished the feed.

Manage to finish two this evening.
    Had to make a update rapp. for Bitspower.

The picture is not the quality i want but i can tell you these 3mm fobya leds are not the one i can use for the feed.

[​IMG]

I had a few 5mm leds in storrage that i want to try "not the right color but it is for the effect".
    The light i better. Mayby putting a long led strip accros the bottom of the case or mounting the leds on the bottom.
    The led is now just on the floor.

[​IMG]

The evening is already gon and i stop with the build "for now" . Ill be back saturday morning "ye extra shift tommorow evening" all for the build

5. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Sweet build mate, loving the plexi feet :)

6. TATH

TATH Minimodder

There was no other way to mount the feet under the pedestel then taking the top of.
    Som things you just see or notice befor you start or during the build.
    Small problems are solved during the build.

[​IMG]

Pedestel on the back. With the feet at the right plase. Now i can draw dimensions on the film where the holes must com for mounting and the leds.

[​IMG]

I dont rush the job. This mostly to avoid scre...... ing up the build. It work the best for me.
    "O protection film is off". Ahum that is looking good. I just see it for the first time. I choose the color by the specs.
    RAL 9005 Deep black. The difference is that it dont pull dust like the acrylic panel when you pull of the film.

[​IMG]

This is a better picture. That is also a thing i have to work on taking pictures.

[​IMG]

just a picture. No magic :D

[​IMG]

The white in the bleu is from the camera. But i assure you it looks good. "why do i choose red instead of bleu\ bleu is a nice color".
    Mayby one led wil do the job too. More of that later.

[​IMG]

I drill two 5,5 mm holes tru the panel this way you dont have wires at the ouside.

Ha ha but i dont no if it stays this way because i orederd a long led strip to see what magic i get when i put it in the middle under the case.

[​IMG]

7. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Sunday lazy day,

Just finished bbq with my kids and enjoying the the weather.

Right now i am putting a update on the net while i am listning to "fleedwood mac ( The Chain) ".

Working on the radiators today

I wunder how much fluid goos in to the 560. Yes 670 ml. Much dont now what is much these days.

Al things in place and ready to go.

[​IMG]

First i need to take off the fans.

[​IMG]

Just one set is different. Only 6 pair of screws. That is no problem because i use the screws from the fans.
    I thought that there is more residu in the radiators but the are verry clean just a few spots.
    I shaken them 40 times each one and emty them again.
    All 4 are ready for mounting the fans on.

[​IMG]

When i want to mount them in on the frame while the frame is still inside the pedestel then i need a monkey to hold the parts up. rolleyes.gif
    The solution is to take the frame out and lay it on top of the radiator.

[​IMG]

Fans on and ready for the frame. A have a piece of underfloor on the table. It is a sort of neopreen and soft so i dont scratch the radiator.

[​IMG]

Frame is back on the fans and ready to put back in the pedestel. I just discoverd that i wil have aproblem with connecting the fans to a fan harnes because the edge of the pedestel is 40 mm and i dont see the connector.
    I found a solution for that. Before i put the radiator in i will make power harnes for each 4 fans just at the end of the last fan.
    This way i only have to make a connection from a fan group to the aquaro. So the power harnes ends with a female 4 pin and the last harnes is a male connector.

[​IMG]

Front view. Now i need to make measurements from the fans to the frame so i can make a cut in the oudside panel.
    I hope i soon get a message from Coldzero that he finished my fan grills.

[​IMG]

View from the right side. I think there is plenty of room left after i put in the the last radiator.
    Then i can mark the position for the bitspower fillport in the floor.

[​IMG]

Just a picture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finish with this.

[​IMG]

All the fans are mounted on the radiators.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Thank you, wait until you see the rest of the plexi. :thumb:

9. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Back to the build.

I always work just a few hours in the evening at the build.
    Little progress again.

I made a few support plates for the top of the pedestel because the angles are not weld and can use more support.

Som times you order something and when it arive you have to think he why did i order this.
    Now i now the 4 cm strip was for making support plates for the pedestel.

[​IMG]

Yes plates a saw out the strip. Now it is time to get som holes in it for the rivids.

[​IMG]

First i lay the plates on top of the pedestel and draw lines round the edges so i now where to drill.

[​IMG]

I got e bunch of rivids from MDPC a while ago. I think i am going to use those.
    Countersinking the holes so the rivids dont stick out.
    During this job i got a flash about changing the build. I thought about putting the two pedestels on top of each other and plan to make a sort dome from clear acrylic with actuators below it. So it lifts the cap and you van switch on the system.
    Why it pop up. I think i want to make more a piece of art i think. If i am going to do it i dont now yet.
    So that is what going on in my mind.

[​IMG]

Got a package today with a led strip "Proace" 30 cm led. I did not read al the lines on the description befor i order it. I thought it was a ledstrip 100cm long. But it turnt out only the wire was 100 cm. This is one of the order fu. ups.

Lucky i also order a bunch of TFC leds the 12 volt ones 5mm. This time i put one led in teh holes just to see if the color looks good.
    Yes i think it looks good already with one 5mm led in the feet.
    What do you think!! rolleyes.gif

[​IMG]

Don overtime on the build 22:36 and i stop now. More tommorow. :hehe:

10. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Stil have 20 minutes left but i quit for today.

I made a pair of support corner plates. It just took a few minutes. So that job is don.

I am thinking how to attatch the front panels to the case. I think it wil be nice if you dont see screws in front of the case but it is a challenge to make it hapen.
    Already thought about a rail on the bottom an secure it at the top. So ther is more to think about.

This picture i special took for Bart to show how i put the leds in. I made two 5mm holes. So the flat top comes to the edge of the hole.
    The other screws that you see are the mounting screws for the acrylic feets.

[​IMG]

Top panel for the pedestel is almost ready for mounting. But also for this panel i have to rethink the way i want to mount it to the case.
    Waiting for the tools nr's from my former army budee to make blind tread in the back of the panel. For that you need blind tread taps.

[​IMG]

After taking the measurements frome the pedestel i put tape on the front cover. Now i can draw the measurements on it.

[​IMG]

picture on the wrong place. In this picture i secure the panel to the pedestel and use a file to make it fit.

[​IMG]

Drawn the fan holes to cut out. Above the fanholes i am going to place a fanfilter "made by Coldzero" from Portugal.

[​IMG]

Thats all for today.

11. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Working on the fansholes for the frontcover from the pedestel.

I put the measurements on the tape yesterday.
    It is all human work so mistakes can be made easy.

[​IMG]

Panel on the box so enough space for the jigsaw.

[​IMG]

Have to see how it looks.

[​IMG]

Decide ti make it open. Yes because i have a custom dustfilter been made i can leave the fron open for now.

[​IMG]

I am just back from work. Also got big news this build is:

SPONSORED BY:

[​IMG]

12. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Working on the second panel for the pedestel.

But first i had to go and bring som garden garbage away. Yes my wife is like the firebrigade "do this do that" biggrin.gif just kiding.

So it is back to the build.

This time i cut out one bick piece.
    There is still work left after this job. Smoothing the edge and surface with a sharp knife
    I think that i am going to polish the edges too.

[​IMG]

An other thing to think of. Do i mount the panels from the outside or the inside.
    The advantage mounting the panels from the outside is it is a fast and easy job.
    Mounting them from the inside cost more time and have to don verry precise.

I choose to mount the panels from the inside.

[​IMG]

I did a little research on a old piece 5mm acrylic. I drill a 4 mm hole in the acrylic and put 3mm tread in it. It holds verry good.
    So now i have to get more 3mm screws.

[​IMG]

And i also made a middel support plate for the pedestel.

13. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Another day in mods world again.

I have been working on the panels for the bottom pedestel today.

I had to take out the radiator to be able to work on the panel.
    First i drill 16 holes around the edge of the frame.

[​IMG]

I outlined the panel and secure it with a bunch of clamps.
    On the inside edge of the panel is tape.
    From the inside i draw circles in the holes i drild out.
    I hope al holes are markt well.

[​IMG]

I put a 2,5 mm drill into the machine and after i measured the dept again how far the drill goos down i am ready for the job.

[​IMG]

I am back inside and it is time to put the tread in. 14 holes x 3 times the tap. Yes it is a hand job no need to rush.
    And easy to scr.... up if you do.
    I pre mount small screws i had in the back. The are ordinary boldhead screws. For now the do the job.

[​IMG]

Because it is not a michine that is doing the job a fault may always show up.
    I use 3mm screws and use a tool to make the hole 4mm. Why this way you always be able to get the screw in and the head of the screw hold down the pannel. I did this trick on al horizontal holes.

[​IMG]

Ye al screws in. Because the panels ar bigger then needed i have to work on the sides a little

[​IMG]

I use washers m3 from MDPC. The screws are M3 x 5 and fit perfect.
    But to do this trick again when the radiator are in i want ( dont know what the name is for these type of screws).

[​IMG]

That is the front you see. The fron panel is to high but i don this on purpose. The top panel you see above.
    I will trim the front panel so the top panel edge wil rest on the edge of the frontpanel.

[​IMG]

Empty case :D Only temporary.

[​IMG]

Tommorow i need to work on the mounting of the Aquero 6 Pro and the Icy Dock. So the front panel have to com of again.

14. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Yes back to the build again,

After taking measurements i realise that just support plates alone wont do the work because the size of the Aquero and the Icy Dock are slide different.

So i decide to make two holes in the front acrylic panel.
    Before i saw out the two holes i have to outline them in the space that i have left between the end of the radiator and the left side of the pedestel.

Another job that i have to do is changing the frontplates of the two Aquero's and mounting on the two passive blocks.
    (have to see what Darlene wrote about it).

As you can see there is a 2mm difference between the two components.

[​IMG]

Measuring out the space that i have to work in.

[​IMG]

Al parts on the table.

[​IMG]

Unpacking of the box.

[​IMG]

First change the frontplate.
    Changing the frontplate from a XT 6 Pro is different then from a 5 Pro because the frontplate of the XT is gleued on the printplate.
    Did not now it. So carefully i put a sharp knife around the edges. The frontplate coms of verry easy. So that is no problem

[​IMG]

Partnr for the black frontplate for the Aquero 6 XT.

[​IMG]

Partnr for the Aquero XT passive coollingblock.

[​IMG]

Separate the frontpanel from the printplate whit a sharp knife.

[​IMG]

Notice the brown pins at the end are already bent for mounting the passive block if you want too.
    I hope the plate fits well. I know Darlene wrote something about it.

[​IMG]

Something else i had to work on is the oversticking edge from the printplate. The did not trim it. It showed also on the stainless one.
    No big deal scraping this little points off with a sharp knife.

[​IMG]

Looking good .

[​IMG]

Ready for testing but doing this not today "i am already doing overtime" :D

[​IMG]

15. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Working on the support frame for the Aquero XT and the ICY DOCK.
    It is a lot measuring and filing. I dont have a sheet aluminium around so i make a supportframe from acrylic.

Because the size of the Aquero and the Icy Dock are different i have to marke the holes to saw out also different.
    After putting som pencil lines acros the panel i got the middle where i am working from.

[​IMG]

After measuring filing and remasuring again i think the holes are good enough for the next phase "putting 3mm tread in it".

[​IMG]

I saw out the top and bottom of the acrylic plate so the front matches the front of the pedestel frame.
    If needed i can mount the support frame the the outer pannel. "yes more work" :wallbash:

[​IMG]

Tommorow i wil mark the holes to cut out from the front cover.

[​IMG]

I got a bunch of new screws so i am going the regular screws.

[​IMG]

Old screws.

[​IMG]

New screws "llooking better i think" .

[​IMG]

Got a bunch of new 4 pin fan connectors today. And my new motherboard and cpu are on the mail.

16. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Working on the panel to get the holes in for the Aquero and the Icy Dock.
    Tricky job beacuse it is all custom work. One second to long with my jigsaw in the panel and i can start all over again.

For this month the treasure box is complete empty. Ha ha orderd a few parts today but that is realy it. :wallbash:

So a new big box arived today.

My new Asus Rampage V Extreme. Cant wait until my new bitpower waterblock arives for this baby.
    Heavy box.

[​IMG]

Also my new i7- 5930K

http://i.imgur.com/K35BV81.jpg

STOP DREAMING "back to the build". :D

Took over the mesurements from the inner support frame.
    I choose to do it slowly "want to keep the panel in one part".

Holes saw out with the jigsaw. What you see is the panel on its back.

[​IMG]

If i mount the panel onto the frame it is easier to work on.

[​IMG]

Its 22:45 and fits in. Securing the two i do tommorow.

[​IMG]

Dont know how it looks when i take of the tape. Mayby i make a outher show frame with slope edges. "dont know yet".

[​IMG]

This is all for today. !:duh:

17. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Updates:

Longer fan cables

Monday

Befor i can proceed with the making of the new power cables for the fans i have get the old (to short) wires out the fans.

By removing the sticker i have access to the solder point of the fans.
    Found out that behind the aluminium looking sticker is a thiny magnet.

[​IMG]

I used the extra cables that comes with the Noiseblocker fans. I took off the sleeving and cut the wires to the size i need.

[​IMG]

Ready to go.

Tuesday

Got me a new soldering station for 29 euro. No i dont choose the expensive one. "Why not" i just thought it cant be bad.
    Ahum :rolleyes: It is no solder station where you can keep going. It cools down and then i have to wait.
    Wrong investment !!!:D

[​IMG]

I finish the left fan. Looks better this way.

[​IMG]

I put a screwdriver on top of the radiator to keep the connector in place to show you why i changed the fanwires for longer ones.
    The connector fals in to the gap in the second fan. This way the powercable is going to be flat on the radiator.

[​IMG]

I just need a small spitter from the radiator to the Aquero.

[​IMG]

Wednesday

Lost day. Was not satisfied with the result. So it is back to cutting new wires for the power harnes of the fans.

Friday

Doing a extra shift for the build. starting 08:00 and go home tommorow 08:00.

Saturday:

No build because i have to go to the reunie of the army

Sunday

Thouth that i couth finish the power cables but my try outs took me a wile to deside how long the have to be.
    Got it figgert out and made preparations for tommorow.

Got a other duty plan next week so i am free tommorow instead of friday.

Monday building day "Yes" :thumb:

[​IMG]

18. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Working on the fan cables.

After connecting the unmodified fans on the Aquero i found out that one fan have no rpm signal. And both of the power cables are not giving the right rpm it jumps up and down.

So i have to check one fan for the wiring and i have to rethink what i am going to do about the power fan cables. Making a new power cable for the 4e time this week is no fun.

But as always "i dont give up so easy".

What els did i do today. I took out the support side angles of the radiator frame. And i painted them with a new brand of paint "matt black" . I hope that the result is good. Whe wil see more about that tommorow. The parts are hanging in the back to dry.

If you look at the power cable it is not so bad. Bud i dont like bad work so i have to change it.
    I might get a few fan station and put them in the back of the pedestell and leed one cable to the front.

[​IMG]

Got a package today from "HighFlow" 2 new bitspower ledstation (color red).

[​IMG]

And another filter unit

[​IMG]

So it is not always glammer on the buildsite.:D

But still keep on building slowly.

19. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Came downstairs yesterday eveneing to have something to drink. And some one was pushing the bell on the front door.
    My wife opent and i took a while before she came back.

A big package arived. Altho i am still sick a having a bad mood about it my face changed in to a grinning smilie. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Give me a few days then i am back.

Got new tools and new parts. I try to give a update a.s.a,p.

20. TATH

TATH Minimodder

Just a tiny update:

"off record still ill ( muslle problem cant walk properly".

I must say that i had no problems with the making of my fan cables for the Hill 7.9 build. But sometimes it just hapens.
    Most of you not even mention that the make a mistake. I do. Guts and Glorry i show it all. biggrin.gif

So because i had a jumping rpm signal in the cable i had to search where the problem is.
    For this the fan hub com in handy.

[​IMG]

Advantage of this one is that you can slide the top of and drill a hole in it " why" because i want to screw it down" . Had a nightmare with the ledstation that dropt against the back of my motherboard in the hill 7.9 build. So no more mistakes of these kind.

[​IMG]

Parts from my Sponsor Bitspower "that made me smile when i was sick" Good medicin. :D

[​IMG]

My new GTX 690 block ( one of 3) . Going to modify it.

[​IMG]

New Block for the Asus Rampage 5 Extreme. It is the Bitspower Nickel plexi Full cover block.

[​IMG]

Nice massive block. :D

[​IMG]

He block is gon. :confused:

[​IMG]

More parts under the flap.

[​IMG]

Al sealed well.

[​IMG]

One of my new bitspower duall pom tops. Checking what is differen then the one that i have.

[​IMG]

Checking if the size is the same because i already made the bottom piece for both of the pompstops.
    Still have to remove one acrylic plate and the it is oke.

[​IMG]