1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro "Bookazine" recommendation, Retro Gamer Collection

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Cleggmeister, 26 Jan 2011.

1. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

So, I'd never heard of a bookazine either, though I'm maybe not as down with the kids as I thought...

Anyway I picked up volume 4 of Retro Gamer Collection from WHSmiths the other day, £9.99 for 256 pages, and I'm loving it. There are features on the Atari ST, Amiga (neither of which my folks could afford when I was little), Game & Watch (which one of my cool friends owned), Cannon Fodder, Microprose, Shiny, Maxis, Space Invaders and loads of gaming milestones which shaped the industry. Being an Acorn Electron (later with the Plus One cartridge module) owner I was kind of exempt from all of this cool stuff when I was younger, however it still put a huge smile on my face as I was reading today.

And I guess there's a regular retro publication, though I think I'll stick with the collection volumes and back order the first three when I get home.

Highly recommended for old farts like myself :)

2. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Yes, the collections are very good indeed. I subscribe to the Retro Gamer monthly publication, and love every page of the magazine. The articles, makings of, back to the eighties and nineties features are all great reads. Also like the reviews of modern games with a retro relation, and the indie games they feature are interesting.

If you love your retro games you really should check out the magazine for that little bit more than what you get in the collection!

3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Thanks for the tip - I will have a look for this the next time I am out. I remember playing Cannon Fodder on the Speccy (I think).

4. obbawobba

obbawobba What's a Dremel?

Didn't even know such a thing existed! I may have to pick up a copy. Sounds like good reading material on the john.

Thanks for the recommendation!