1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Bombing

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Blazza181, 15 Apr 2013.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

2. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

But he does have a slightly hunched gait, which means he might be evil. Or maybe a programmer.

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Perhaps. I do know that I've seen plenty of coverage of bombs going off in various parts of the world. I think one of the reasons this is getting a lot of coverage is the relative uniqueness of it. Relative to the rest of the world, the contiguous US isn't often a target of something like this - not at this scale.

You and others are quite correct that other countries have lived with bombings for quite some time. I do not intend to demean those countries, but from our world view the coverage has become saturated to the point that those events seem commonplace. We expect things like that to happen over there. What makes this newsworthy, at least in my opinion, is the location relative to the rest of the world. It happened here, the self-proclaimed symbol of freedom (where we live with ever stricter laws that curb our personal liberties - all in the name of preventing things like this). It happened here, where events like this typically don't occur. It also happened during a high profile public event - one that draws international participation.

5. Risky

Risky Modder

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Slightly more fair enough, but still. I think it's far beyond the legality to treat him as guilty before any evidence that isn't circumstantial is presented.

Well, programmers are evil...

7. Risky

Risky Modder

If they'd got a project manager and a buiness analyst on the team the bomb would have never got built.

8. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Not all programmers!

Sent from my evil volcano lair via tapatalk 2 (lol)

9. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think I argued that it was impossilbe to achieve that, so why keep trying? This will take multiple generations to work out and only the Iraqi can do it --if they are left to get on with it. If we had pulled out earlier, Iraq would have been years ahead in that process.

Last edited: 17 Apr 2013
  11. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Well, this could be separate, I don't know.

At the moment, someone seems to be sending plenty of letters to Republican senators and President Obama, with Rican in them.

And apparently now someone's been arrested, acting suspiciously while having sealed envelopes in his backpack. Huh.

EDIT: FBI says no believed connection between the bombs and the letters.

12. Blazza181

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The Boston Police Department says otherwise. Several news agencies appear to be pointing to the same CNN and/or AP source. Once media outlets start referencing each other, it just compounds any error in the reports.

I'm waiting for someone to quote an actual named federal law enforcement officer, rather than "someone familiar with the investigation."

14. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I don't consider it credible until someone can finally source something someone said on twitter.

15. Blazza181

I apologise.

My sources ain't great at the moment, eh?

16. Blazza181

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Oh that's just cheeky. :p

18. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

You say that but watch 10 minutes of tv "news" and count how many times you hear a host say "this is what people are saying on twitter". Today, I even saw it referenced in a print article. It is crumbling.

It reminds me that the term "conventional wisdom" was originally coined as a derogatory term...

@Blazza, I wasn't commenting on you, just the overall air of speculation.

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Actually, in one of our rare moments of agreement I think you're spot on regarding the rampant speculation that is going around as all the news outlets jockey to be first, rather than correct. I guess using the BPD Twitter feed to counter the speculation came with an unintended dose of irony.

Yesterday at lunch I commented to some coworkers that that while everyone was checking the news for any breaking information, I was more interested in watching how the media outlets were all bumbling over each over. Richard Jewel would be hanging his head in shame.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll