1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

building new pc from scratch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luda, 14 Jun 2003.

1. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

hello all,

my dad has decided to take a job offer in London so im moving there from Atlanta in about a month... im kinda bummed out but my dad agreed to meet some of the things on my list of demands and one of them was a new [kick ass] desktop..this will be my first computer to build so i dont know much about what im lookin for in motherboards gfx cards and such so i was looking for suggestions on motherboards, graphics cards, sound cards and such... im thinkin either radeon 9600 or radeon 9500 and after readin a few reviews, i am leanin towards the 9500.. but i have no idea on motherboards or anything else so drop a line about what u think i shud get or what i should look for in findin my own motherboard.. thanx chaps

/:clap: w00t new computer!!:clap:

2. BringItDown

BringItDown What's a Dremel?

Well whats your budget like first of all?

3. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

i really dont have one.. but i mean.. on the good side of midrange.. nothing ridiculously expensive.. probably $2500 on the high side of things.. thanx for all ya'lls help

4. BringItDown

BringItDown What's a Dremel?

GEEZ 2500 american??

Well gawsh. You could build a freakin supercomputer for 2500 american. Get top of the line everything! Once you let me know that thats american dollars Ill recommend some hardware...lol:eeek:

5. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

As Ludo says $2500 will give ya one helava system...Ask your old man for a ball part figure and then you can seriously start shopping mate.

6. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

haha... i know.. well the reason hes takin the job is that its a big ol raise so i guess he dont care as much.. i put together a cpu on IBMs webpage earlier [he works there] and it totalled to around $2000 and hes like "thats not too bad" so i bet i cud squeeze another few hundred outa him:hehe:

and yes, it is american dollar $:clap: $

Last edited: 14 Jun 2003
  7. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

arg.. i been lookin at motherboards and its confusin the hell outa me.. do u think since i got the dough i shud go for an intel?

8. Sid

Sid Banned

9. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

i will be adding a build your own pc on my site soon so keep checking

10. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

Have you thought of buying a system?

Yeah! I know it's not as much fun, but if ya hav plenty of cash buyin a complete system to your spec could be a "less hassle whilst moving home option".

Companies like Chillblast can build and test to your spec.

Here is my List so far if ya interested.

Mat :)

11. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

pffft, trust me ul never be satisfied if u do that!
    build it bit by bit and u will be proud of what u have as u constructed it urself

12. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

ya im buildin it myself so i can put it in my own case.. otherwise it voids the warranties.. start talkin hardware boys!! :p

13. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Man, I had a big shopping list all typed up when BAM, BSoD, lost everything. *grumble* At least Newegg saved the list.

I intentionally left out the monitor, keyboard and mouse as those are more personal preference items, although that's not to say we can't help you make sure what you get isn't total crap. I didn't choose the heatsink either since I'm not sure if the aim of your system is to push the mhz to the max or to keep your sanity (if it's the former: Thermalright SLK-800U goes for $42, add your own fan; if it's the latter: Zalman CNSP7000-Cu for $42).

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8C: 274
    Mobo: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith: 269
    RAM: 2xCorsair XMS 512mb PC3200: 224
    Hard Drive: Seagate 120gb SATA w/ power adapter: 147
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro OEM: 383
    Sound Card: M-Audio Revolution 7.1: 90
    Speakers: Logitech Z-680 5.1 THX: 290
    Headphones (needed for when you piss off the neighbos with the speakers): Plantronics .Audio 90: 29
    DVD±RW: Sony DW-U10A: 283.50
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM: Liteon 48x24x48x16: 65
    USB Pen Drive (to replace floppy): Apacer 256mb USB 2.0: 59

Grand total w/ shipping to GA: $2,124.49

14. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

thanx for the list whypick:)
    i will probably take your pick in chip and mobo.. i might add more RAM and maybe a lil less storage 120 gig :eeek: thats alot.. right now my current desktop has 12 gig w00t w00t lmao.. but im thinkin 80 will due.. in terms of vid card.. i might not go all the way to the 9800 but the more midrange card: the 9600 sound card looks good.. i already got a nice speaker setup where i hook up the comp to a reciever then my speaks and sub.. got the headphones for CS and latenight music of course :hehe: i already have a oodles of cd-rom drives and a dvd-cd rom drive but will look into the dvd burner.. the one other thing i wanted to look into was a video capture card.. im planing on making my monitor my tv also so that way i can record shows too.. well with that maybe i will need the extra storage.. or just burn em onto cds... thanx for your help and more and other suggestions are welcomed:)

15. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Actually, for the video card, get the 9700 All-in-Wonder (Pro goes for $362 @ Newegg, regular 9700 AIW $328), since you're looking for a capture card too. This is the de facto PVR card, plus it's a Radeon 9700 too!

More RAM? I already added a whole gig, the only reason you'd need more is if you spent 8 hours a day behind Adobe Premiere or are trying to make a small server farm (which doesn't make any sense anyway).

16. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

well the reason i want more ram is that i use photoshop alot and i like to run a counter-strike server every once in a while.. about the vid card.. someone at bestbuy told me that the cards that are like to in one u know.. they compromise the performance of each component... so the graphics wudnt be as good and the capture wudnt be as good opposed to 2 seperate cards.. do u know the quality of these for the 9700 all in wonder? thanx again mate

17. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

The 9700 AIWs are clocked the exact same as their non-AIW counterparts. Older AIWs were clocked slower than their regular counterparts, but today you probably couldn't tell the difference.

18. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

so u think i should go with the non pro 9700 AIW? and what do u like about the mother board.. and what is the speed of the P4 u seggested? thanx

19. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

P4 = 2.8 Ghz

Which is a nifty piece of hardware, especially if your looking to play games or fiddle around in photoshop :)

20. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

:hehe: im getting so excited about this computer.. u have no idea what kind of P.O.S i have right now