1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

building new pc from scratch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luda, 14 Jun 2003.

1. MIST_

MIST_ What's a Dremel?

first of all DDR400 is a MUST for your 2,8C the mobo i don't know about it might good ask the others, i personally would go for a asus like the one i got =) for the case Lian Li PC 60 or the black one (61 i think) is one of the 1337357 cases around!! (i got the PC60) also be sure to get a good CPU fan again i'd go for a Zalman 7000Cu good cooling and the quitest thing around, thats if you got the bucks =) if you want to go extreme get vapochill and overclock to the extreme xD and another thing there are lots of nice ide drives that you could run raid, for 2*80gb sata you could get WD1200JB*2 and you could run them on RAID 0. or you could choose for those 2sata's and then get a fatass 250GB hdd for storage =) also don't forget to get a good quality-PSU my friend runs a ****e 480 with the same system as me and it keeps on crashing uz t doesn't get enuff juice, i bought a quite expensive NX-3000 (300W) and it runs perfectly even tho its 300W. The thing is if you buy a good brand if it says 400W you get 400W on a bad one you nmight not even get half cuz some are totally entirely ****!! check out my rig its pretty okay i'd say =)

EDIT: Don't forget the screen!!!! the screen can take up as much as 1/4th of the price so be careful, or maybe you already have one?

2. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

alright, looks like its 9CJS, unless u find another problem to slow meh down

/edit: does Chaintech make reliable boards? have they been good in the past?

3. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Got one in my rig, and I've had no problems I can blame it on (the only thing I really can blame on my system is WinME).

4. olv

olv he's so bright

i dont know if this has been mentioned but i have read most of the thread and not seen it. Anyway, if u r ordering in the USA then u must make sure you get a switching PSU because the UK runs on 240volts not 130? or whatever it is u use over there. Alternatively you could wait till u arrived in london and then order from one of the great UK retailers.

Also i would pay attention to 8-Ball and go with an Asus or Abit board. Chaintech are a relatively new company and although they have proved to be quite good i would go with the quality provided by Abit and Asus.

My idea:

P4 800mhz fsb
    abit/asus canterwood
    2x512mb corsair xms 3500 ram (leaves room for overclocking)
    2x WD raptor sata drives
    M-audio sound
    Samsung 182T tft monitor

5. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

i think this is my final list

PSU: Antec TrueBlue480 True480 - 92.49 - Googlegear.com
    Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith - 219.00 - Googlegear.com
    RAM: Corsair 512MD DDR400 Low Latency SPD - 150.00 - Googlegear.com
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 478 - 268.00 - Googlegear.com
    Storage: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y080P0 80GB Ultra ATA/133 7200RPM- 89.00 - Googlegear.com
    Video Card: ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 PRO - 350.00 - Googlegear.com
    Sound Card: M-Audio Revolution 7.1 - 98.88 - Amazon.com
    CD-RW: Sony CRX220A1 52x24x52 EIDE Internal CD-RW
    DVD rom: Sony DDU1621/DDU1612/DDU1611 16X IDE DVD - 38.50 - Googlegear.com

totals to 1423.49$ without case and monitor

6. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

olv, ill be coming back in 2 years so i think im just goin to get a converter and get an american power supply so when i come back i have it to full use.. and hasnt chaintech been around since 1986?

7. olv

olv he's so bright

hmmm possibly, but i thought they were still pretty new t the mobo world, hmm never mind, i'm sure that mobo will do u just fine.

8. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

welp i got all my stuff ordered and i set everything up and when i went to plug in the vga monitor i realized there was no vga plug on the motherboard just a com1 and a com2 which i thought was odd.. so i cudnt hook up my monitor like that.. then i tried the dvi through my radeon but figured that wouldnt work because i dint install the drivers or anything yet... help!

9. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Um, this may sound stupid, but what about the VGA port on the Radeon?

10. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

there is none? only dvi and s video

11. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

should i be able to see a display through the dvi even without installing the vid card?

12. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

The card needs to be installed. The drivers do not as far as i know. I have 2 monitors and im pretty sure that the one connected to the dvi port through an adapter is counted as the primary display before your normal GFX drivers kick in under windows. i.e. i get the post info on that screen and the windows is starting.... one. When it get to windows propper both screens come to life.

13. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

There should be a DVI->VGA adapter that you need to use to connect a CRT to the card. I didn't realize that the AIW didn't have enough space to fit a VGA connector, but you should most definitely have gotten one. Should look like this.

14. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

yep i got one..but thats not the problem.. i got a new monitor (samsung 172t flat screen lcd) which has dvi and vga plugs.. the problem is that the mobo doesnt have a vga place.. just 2 serials ports or w.e

15. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Just put the DVI into the Radeon, don't worry about the VGA port, and you're set.

16. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

well then the problem must be the psu

17. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

What exactly is the problem you're having?

18. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

You will only have a VGA plug on the i/o plate if your motherboard has onboard GFX.

Elaborate on exactly whats happeneing and we might be able to figure it out for you.

19. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Luda - Try these steps (I know mostly everyone else already said this but it never hurts to double check).

> Plug the graphics card into the motherboard.
    > Plug the VGA > DVI convertor into the DVI port on the graphics card.
    > Connect your monitor via the VGA port on the graphics card.
    > Switch on your PC and you should get a image.

Monitors can display by just using the convertor before any graphics drivers are installed.

20. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

well the problem was the psu.. it dint have the 12V four pin thing needed on the newer boards.. so i got it working.. and i am so excited..

i got the chaintech 9cjs, p4 2.8c, 512 corsair ultra low latency, sony dvd, sony 52x24x52, western digital 80GB, ati all in wonder 9700 pro, m-0audio revolution 7.1... w00t w00t.. thanx for the help guys