1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Bye Bye CRT

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Mar 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Yes, you really should have bought a decent replacement screen! It's a shame that really good crt screens are worthless these days. Such is the march of progress.

Btw, when you next upgrade, go for a 24" PVA or IPS.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I loved my CRT. It's still here, and I haven't got the heart to rid myself of it, despite not using it... It's an Eizo 21", and it does crazy resolutions, but its days are numbered now really, last time I used it the colours were starting to wash out a little. The tube's going.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I loved my SyncMaster 17" as well... tho it started going pink really early in life. At the time I replaced it with a Samsung 17" TFT which cost around 350€ at the time. Haven't parted with it since.

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I hope my Viewsonic P75f+SB will last a good few years yet. I simply cannot see *any* TFT good enough to take its place. And mind you, my CRT monitor hasn't even a Trinitron CRT. It's only a "Diamondtron" from NEC/Mitsubishi.

To be honest, I find it a bit sad that even now TFTs cannot truly compare to CRTs and it's even sadder that you cannot even buy a high quality CRT any longer.

With TFTs you either get speed and lousy image quality and lousy viewing angles (TN) or (reasonably) good image quality and better viewing angles, yet slow-ish response times (xVA/IPS). And then there's the issue with input lag to top it off.

6. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

It's a shame you got the council to recycle it. It would have been better to offer it on freecycle instead.

7. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

+1 to that.

8. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I'm still using my CRT, a Panasonic Panasync 19" and I love it. Far better image quality than any of the LCD's in this place.

9. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

Stil lovin' my 20" CRT, a Silicon Graphics GDM4011p, 1600x1200 @ 75hz.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

got Iiyama 19inch at my parents, fantastic monitor, truer colour than both LG 22inch and now my Samsung T240. it's still being used, 1600x1200 with that size is amazing.

shame they take up so much space, it's really the only downside to be honest.

11. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I too felt sorry for my CRT when I threw mine away.

It was like it was saying "I Don't hate you...."

:(

12. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Maybe i brought crappy screens, but i've never felt much loss getting rid of CRT's, the LCD's have always been better in my experience.

only thing i miss is the better scaling of low-res video on CRT's, that can be fixed by simply not playing them fullscreen...

Not having to worry about CRT's defaulting to 60hz in games with associated eye-melting = win :clap:

13. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I'm still sticking with an old compaq one as my 2nd monitor, much nicer than my dell 19" primary monitor.

I really need to ditch it though, it is just way to big and bulky for my desk.

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

A few months ago, I switched on one of my first PCs, it was a Sony Vaio with Windows 95. It has a neat CRT monitor, with good speakers attached, and I was shocked at how much nicer everything looked. Colors are much more rich, I just hate the two horizontal lines, even if they're pretty faint.

If I could find a 24" CRT monitor, I would be using it right now. :p

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

It almost sounds as if you didn't configure your CRT(s) properly... :)

As for 60Hz in gaming, blame that on Microsoft. It's easily circumvented in any case. TFTs run at 60Hz all the time anyway, although you'll never experience flicker due to the nature of TFTs (there are a few circumstances under which it could happen anyway).

16. Slyr7.62

Slyr7.62 «ŚŁÂŶÈŘ»

My dad's using 1 of our 2 ViewSonic G90F monitors and I'm using a NEC Multisync FE950(Trinitron tube Cheesecake) :rock:. Plenty of space on these homemade desks :dremel:. When talking about a different primary monitor for gaming/video compared to my NEC, an LCD would have to be @ least 22" because anything smaller isn't an upgrade. Me spending $100+ for a 19" LCD would be a waste when I have this FE950 :naughty:. That's why I'm only eying the 21"+ LCD's($170 Acer 22" for instance).

17. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

If something works the council will still re-use it. It may go to a local school or library or something.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

...I still keep my old 22" around...even though it's broken (picture collapses after 5 min. cant find anybody prepaired to repair it)

19. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I still use two crts for my main system. I think I would cry myself to sleep if something happened to the primary one.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I have to say the move to LCD panels was a step backward in technology really, in terms of image quality.

I had to go LCD due to space limitations. plus i dont like the idea of shifting a 21in trinny every few months, they weigh a f*** load!

Tags: Add Tags