1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CableMod unveils WideBeam LED strip range

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Jan 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Let me put it this way: they sell a lot more fridge magnets than fridge stickers.

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I am not too knowledgeable regarding lighting parts but if there are other, much cheaper versions that use adhesive tape, and I wanted magnet versions, I would just buy some small 2x5mm Neo-Magnets from Amazon and stick them to the strip using the adhesive or even a dab of superglue.

3. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Really?
    Postit notes

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

How many Post-It Notes do you have on your fridge? 'Cos I've got precisely zero on mine. Google shows 238,000 results for '"post-it notes" fridge', while '"fridge magnets"' gets 1,140,000 results. (Incidentally, searching for '"post-it notes"' without the 'fridge' addendum gets you 1,280,000 - so only 140,000 more than '"fridge magnets'" despite being for all references to Post-It Notes ever, not just when they're used on fridges.)

Checkmate, athiests^Wadhesive-lovers.

5. Woodspoon

Fair enough I guess
    Although I don't know anyone with fridge magnets actually on the fridge, mostly because they are fitted under counter jobs that have wooden door covers.
    Loads of postit notes though
    Try changing the search wording a quick search using "post-it notes fridge" got About 1,870,000 results (0.51 seconds)
    and "fridge magnets" About 1,340,000 results (0.58 seconds)
    Postit is a brand name rather than the generic "fridge magnet" which might have skewed search results, but fair enough, point conceded.
    Magnetic fixings still seems like a crap selling point for LED's

Last edited: 29 Jan 2016
  6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

magnet
    magnets
    post-it notes
    post-it note
    post it notes
    post it note
    post it

White board Cheesecake.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Interestingly, many of those searches are redundant: Google ignores plurals and punctuation as standard, unless you're doing a "verbatim" search via Search Options. As far as Google is concerned, post-it notes = post-it note = post it notes = post it note.

8. wolfticket

They're not redundant if you are using a verbatim search to attempt to extract some sort of relevant statistical data about usage from a search engine. It's actually quite fun trying to use google-fu to engineer a fair-ish comparison (ymmv).

Google seems to ignore/accept "-" results even in verbatum searches though, which makes me disproportionately annoyed :)

9. Gareth Halfacree

You may be overestimating how much effort I want to put into a comment on a web forum, there...

10. wolfticket

Not really. I don't really care how much effort you put in to your fridge magnet zealotry :thumb:

It just triggered a latent bit of my brain that finds the numbers at the top of search results and their relevance/use quite interesting

11. Gareth Halfacree

THERE IS ONLY ONE TRUE GOD, AND HIS NAME IS FRIDGEMAGNET.

(Which has just reminded me of a running joke about "name your child the first thing you see" taken into a suburban environment in a Robert Rankin novel. Fridgemagnet Gould, I think the character was called. I forget the book.)

12. Woodspoon

Nah, nah, nah, nah, nope.
    His name is
    Jaffa cake

The holy trinity: The Jaffa cake, Bourbon & Jammie Dodger

13. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

You could of course also glue in a bit of steel, or glue some of your own magnets, that way you can use it in plastic/aluminium but have the option to easily remove or change the lighting.

Reminder: This IS a well-known modding site :)

14. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Haha of which Bindi has been a member for AEONS. ;)