1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Calibrating two displays (same make and model) – am I expecting too much?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JamesRC, 25 Feb 2015.

1. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

I’ve picked up a pair of Dell P2214H monitors for a dual monitor setup. They are refurbs so not new and I expected some variation in brightness etc. due to uneven wear/manufacturing variation and whatnot.

However, I cannot get the colours close enough to “match”. One monitor has a noticeable green tint and I can’t seem to adjust it sufficiently using the RGB settings or even in a colour profile using a monitor calibrator (datacolor Spyder Pro 2). I can get the white temperatures similar using the RGB settings, but even after calibration the green tint is still there…

Both monitors are connected by DVI - I’ll try swapping the cables, but I don’t think they are the issue.

Am I expecting too much? Surely I should be able to correct the tint using a calibration profile and get a reasonable match??

I'll continue tampering tonight, more details and pics may follow...

2. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

So it's not the cables, as expected.

Funnily enough, one of the P2214H monitors has pretty good colour balance with my LG IPS 234 that I intended to replace, so I think I'll just go with that combo, unless anyone has any bright ideas?

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Colorimeter ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

It's not easy to set a separate profile per monitor though

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This is pretty much the only way, but getting tints to match are rather hard due to panel differences even with the same type of panel. I'd say keep fiddling with it, but theoretically a coloimeter should do the job.

Conversely contact Dell and tell them your panel has a green tint. :D

6. ruben

ruben What's a Dremel?

Well I can tell you what the problem is: You're trying to calibrate displays with LED backlit with a Spyder2. The Spyder2 generation doesn't support LED backlit, while Spyder3 and 4 do.

7. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Thank for this, confirmed. I borrowed the calibration kit and didn't think to check that.

8. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

I'm switching out both Dell monitors to see if I can get a better match... here's hoping!

9. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Got two replacements and, after a bit of fiddling with the RGB settings, they match. Happy days :)