1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Carmack outlines vision for a new Quake

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Jun 2011.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

2. Deders

Deders Modder

After going from a 386SX with the original Wolfenstien to a PII 350, Quake was the first proper game I played on it so it wowed me, as did FF7. Going back to play it after playing Quake 2 I didn't find it as enjoyable, just like playing Quake 2 now after playing Half Life, Deus Ex and Far Cry. Once a game has innovated it's often hard to go back.

I do seem to remember a couple of fully realised monochrome shaded 3D FPS type game in space with pyramids on the ZX spectrum, but you'd be lucky to get 10FPS.

3. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Wolfenstein was referred to as 3D b ut was really only 2D with some perspective gimmicks which were pretty revolutionary and awe inspiring at the time.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Sort of 2.5D

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Q3 Team Area. Bestest game until I discovered UT..

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Err...Doom could be played with mouse and *pioneered* multiplayer?

Not to mention, FPS = first person shooter, not mouse based multiplayer.

7. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Full 3D FPS. Doom wasn't full 3d, it had some visual effects to look like 3D in parts.
    Quake was like the next logical step conceptually.

8. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Doom did Make the genre though, for sure.

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Apart from a few browser based and mobile games, is software hasn't made a game since Doom 3.

On the subject of the first FPS: it was Wolf 3D, no argument.

As for 3D, I agree Wolf 3D wasn't - there was no height dimension, just forwards, backwards, left and right. Doom however definitely was 3D. Sectors could have different ceiling and floor heights. Granted, it was limited in what it could do, but no-one can say it didn't have three dimensions.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2011
  10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

They should take a look at Firefall take the style of Quake 1 and start to develop a nice MMO-FPS.

Singleplayer and/or some instanced multiplayer-maps are totally OOD.

I was allways more a fan of Unreal tho.

11. Deders

Deders Modder

Doom was still 2.5D because even though there were varying heights, you couldn't have a room over a room, so effectively the floor plan could have been flat, although it would have made it easier to get to some areas if it was.

12. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Exactly, Quake wasn't the first FPS, but it was definitely the first actually 3D one.. either way despite the semantics Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein were all undeniably influential; just too bad they never really evolved apart from the graphics.

I'm definitely not opposed to a new Quake, especially if they're changing direction, but since Quake 4 and Doom 3 I'm just not expecting much.

13. Deders

Deders Modder

Check these out, FPS in 1985 on the spectrum.

And Darkside, one in a series of FPS adventure games, you even had a jetpack (I think the pyramids were in a sequel.

There is a video near the bottom of the review.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Quake Is Good For you. ;)

Ah, good times, good times...

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I *have* it and its successor SkyNet. But to be honest I consider System Shock to be the first true 3D FPS, considering it came out in 1994 (considering Quake is from 1996). Oh, and I still have Quake in the original box standing here too... :)

16. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Agreed, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom says hi to those who forget FPS history. And if I remember wasnt Tribes released around that time... and Unreal (the first single player one not Tournament)?

17. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Neither Wolfenstein 3D nor Doom were true 3D games. More like 2.5D. They had a 3D perspective but due to limitations in the engine you could only move in 2D.

18. CooLJoE

CooLJoE Minimodder

Did everyone forget about Duke Nukem 3D? Granted it came after Wolf 3D/Doom, but it did come before Quake, and was definitely an FPS and more 3D than Wolf 3D/Doom by far. Going by the definition of FPS, there are quite a few games that came before Quake that were of the FPS genre. Although to me, Doom and Duke 3D were the ones that made FPS multiplayer gaming what it is today (more so Duke 3D, IMO). Wolf 3D was definitely the one that got the FPS genre going strong.

19. CooLJoE

CooLJoE Minimodder

Tribes, although a good FPS multiplayer game, was released in 1998, 2 years after Quake. Unreal (non-tournament, the original) was also released in 1998. I had all 3 when they came out. Great games, each of them. Still have the games somewhere.

20. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

^What he said. Three dimensional maps? Kind of, they had up and down a bit and perspective but that's about it. Opfor? 2D all the way, flat sprites with no depth. Even the blood spatter was 2D. Quake was the first one I played to use full 3D for everything - environment, enemies and gibbage. Unreal still stands on it's own as a truly glorious game (I got my Voodoo 2 16 MB accelerator card for that - truly awesome kit at the time!) but it was a touch later (1998). The Quake mods were also well worth playing, I ran through as many as I could on a 33,600 kbps connection.

@CooLJoE: Ninja'd dagnabbit!

@Deders: Quake was the dawn of the 3D PC FPS, other platforms did it first but where are they now? One, at least, is sat on top of my wardrobe in a box - Atari 1040 STE with a shoebox full of games disks.

Tags: Add Tags