1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Chicks like tech, too

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 3 Aug 2006.

1. luvbug

luvbug What's a Dremel?

50% of "THE WOMEN SURVEYED" not 50% of ALL women...read it again..lol.

Which in and of itself is biased to whatever area they did the survey - "in a study aired by the female-targetted cable network Oxygen".

In all seriousness, what percentage of women in America watch Oxygen?

2. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

ontop of that these women could come from a poorer area, or an area where the only tv they have is a 15" CRT beast

3. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

My girlfriend can't wear gold (allergic to it but not other metals) and she doesn't like diamonds :D

She is a geek though and likes her digital cameras and pc stuff so it is 6 of one and half a dozen of another

Although saying all that she has been dropping some pretty stiff hints about wanting a ring for some odd reason.........

4. jamex

jamex What's a Dremel?

Hahahah, ooo dude, you're done....smells like marri....e :naughty:

Hahaha, just j/k if that happens, congrats. This topic is very funny.

5. tecate

tecate What's a Dremel?

Yeah, right females now like gadgets & plasma TVs more than jewelry, vacations etc.
    Everyone, repeat after me : B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T!!! Women always liked expensive sh*t and always will. This survey is completely full of it.

6. Onyx

Onyx What's a Dremel?

lmao! thats true

edit: oh yes, about 100% of the females i know dont know what "a linux?" is. so until that survey says 50% of women build there own pc, i dont buy it.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2006
  7. MortarHeadd

MortarHeadd What's a Dremel?

My girlfriend just seems to like expensive stuff. Almost as a status symbol, and thats true of most of the girls I've met. If today having a Plasma TV makes you hott stuff, she'll want that, if tomorrow its a Pearl necklace, she'll want that tomorrow.

On the other hand, she does know what linux is and has slackware 10 on her computer...

8. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

Like luvbug and some others mentioned, this survey doesn't seem too trustworthy.
    I know I wouldn't change a Vacation for a TV, so it makes me wonder what sort of women watch that Oxygen...couch potatoes? I hope it's not accurate cause it's a bit scary in a way.

On the discussion of "women like everything that's expensive": It's not like you guys don't like expensive stuff too now is it? Personally I think it's always worth spending a little more to get something PROPER than to buy some cheap product and end up buing another one or RMA:ing it the next week, so are women more materialistic or are they just more aware of what "pricey" implies? Sure women like to look good / have nice clothes and all that, but does anyone have a problem with it (except for those who feel that they are being robbed), because I don't?

Anyway, this "news" isn't exactly news I think...more like waste of space - unless you take it as a joke of sorts.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

because it happens.

there are very very very few girl geeks here, either they are dumb pregnant for the 2nd time country girls, or even more stupid materialistic city girls, i only knew a few girls that liked computers, one of these girl that liked computer stuff and did some work on computers, she opened and switched parts and formated them and IIRC she never FUBARed one, she is now dating a "beautifull athletic" and annoying guy that only wants her for the horizontal monster mash and she says she loves him until she dies.

most of the girls dont like computers and technology they just have a computer so they can log on to Messenger to talk to other people then when something strange happens they come running to me saying "hey i oppened an email and now my computer does not work/ works slowly/ my email acount got its password changed/...etc how can i fix it? ", most girls here are materialistic dumb ..... bah.... things!!! future nurses or secretaries that want to be nurses or secretaries so they can marry a rich doctor or enginer.

all my ex girl friends were great and are some of my great friends, they are the more moderate girls i found.

10. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

jealous ? :p (just joking m8t)

some girl i know racket up a £1400 bill because she had got some virus (through limewire) and it changed the number she dialed for her dial up Internet

My sister is no better either, "back up your data regularly" - as if that will ever happen

11. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

I have a feeling that a lot of the reported results of this survey are near the mark, especially in terms of what women would prefer for gifts. But when I went to the Oxygen website, all they have is a link to the Reuters release on Yahoo! It doesn't instill me with the most confidence that they don't seem prepared to disclose the details of how the survey was conducted.

I did find that someone at USA Today appears to have done their own journalistic leg-work rather than just regurgitating the Reuters release. Of note from that article:
    So the participants were asked about their unfounded opinions, and then the CEO of the company that commissioned the study gave another unfounded opinion. Before anyone takes this as an green light to insult women, or flames me for sexism, please look up the word "unfounded" in the dictionary. It does not mean "wrong".

I recently read about a concept called, "Unskilled and unaware of it". The full report of the psychologists administering the tests behind that article, including their methods, is here. The idea is, put simply, that the less competent someone is at any given task, the less ability they have to rate their own performance at that task, or others' performance, and that they are actually likely to rate themselves much more highly than their real performance would deserve.

What I'm getting at here is that asking someone: "Do you think that you are good with complex technology issues?" is not going to give you anything close to an accurate picture of those peoples' actual abilites.

Nezuji :)

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ROFFLE! Fantastic expression!! :D :thumb:

I do agree though, show me where the normal girls are, please!

13. SouthernBelle

SouthernBelle What's a Dremel?

When you find them, perhaps there will be some normal guys, too! w00t! :D

Tags: Add Tags