1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 'Cider' could see PC/Linux/Mac game releases

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 10 Aug 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

If this happens, Linux will rule them all :D It's something that should have happened years ago...

3. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

Macs are evil (looks at the mac sitting beside me on my work desk, dreading the prospect of developing a Mac version of the current PC product i'm working on :( )

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Given that OSx is already Linux based, seems like a linux port is a natural next step.

Further thought...

It sounds to my work-addled brain like someone has written a directX clone for the Mac and added the other stuff needed for games to run. Isn't that basically what this is?

5. Arena_08

Arena_08 What's a Dremel?

i really hope that they do it, but it looks doubtful as microsoft starts to push their 'games for windows' branding, do you really think microsoft would let it happen?

6. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

lets hope this tkes off for linux, Microsoft must hate this, it could take away their monopoly on the games market.

7. fannypad

fannypad What's a Dremel?

No, it's not.

8. Glider

Glider /dev/null

osX = darwin = bsd = unix != linux

But they are closer together then Linux and Windows...

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

HURRAY!!!!, it looks like i will be using linux more often :D

10. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I so hope this is succesful. I'm less bothered about the Mac compatibility but the thought of new games working with linux out of the box gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I could finally ditch Windows for home use and just put up with using it at work. At least I get paid using windows at work. Although saying that, I am tempted to get Vista for it's very nice media center function.

11. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

fantastic news if it works, and happens

finally we wont be stuck on this winblows train

however, i bet MS wont let this happen easily, their well aware that alot of people would ditch windows ...

12. el rolio

el rolio What's a Dremel?

peeps are ditching windows as it is, what with the release of boot camp i have seen LOTS of new macbook pro purchases.

in any case im very happy for that. i've been a pc user all my life, my main modded watercooled machine is a pc and all that SLi ***! but ive had a powerbook ever since the first gen. 4 now and the 5th is coming up. i work on macs all day and it really is hard to use the pc ffor more than gaming, and web browsing. it really just pales in comparison to the mac. even tho im heavily invested in my SLi and all that i applaud this possiblity of games jsut being able to come out for both or 3 platforms. cuz aall that means is, when i buy a game i can play it big time on the PC at home widescreen surround sound and all, or i can install it on my mac and play it on the road.

plus again, OSx just pwns and i can imagine that with proper implementation, the way the OS handles a collection of games, launcing games, etc etc. will be better than even vista's proposed methods. i'm looking fwd to see what vista brings in that light only.

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

There won't be much that MS could do against this... But don't overreact, the majority of the Windows licences is for big companies, who don't care about gaming...

The few gamers that aren't too lazy to learn Linux will migrate, but even most of the gamers can't be arsed to do that... People are lazy, why invest an effort if you get it all thrown in your lap?

14. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I do hope this works better than cadega which works for about 3 games at a time then breaks when the game gets patched or transgaming release a new version. What would be best is if more publishers were like ID software who use openGL in there games instead of directx and make all there games ship with a linux installer (yes you can easily play doom3 and quake 4 on linux).

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Kipman725:

and UT series :D

16. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Having played some with Linux I must say that I'm quite impressed but it's always been the games that pull me back. :sigh: (well, that & feeling like a total noob in linux). This could change everything :clap:

The biggest problem I see is the current distribution model - how many stores want to to carry 3 versions of the same game? Getting a Linux section in many stores will be :wallbash: difficult.

17. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

1 package with multiple installers on it?

18. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I would seriously consider turning over to Linux if that happened. Games are really the only thing stopping me changing now...

19. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

If this comes to pass then Mac's will seriously need heavier hardware in their machines. Ghost Recond: Advanced Warfighter anyone?

MacBooks with Windows BootCamp had a bit of a challenge running Counter-Strike: Source on good settings. Let alone a game with actual intense graphics.

It's definately great to see support for all three operating systems, but I feel that Mac's will still be left behind. :(

20. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

That would be nice but they don't do it with Windows / Mac at the moment. I suspect that the publishers would have to be convinced that they were selling only one copy even though there's 3 in the box. That would probably require online activation or such - an idea I hate.

Tags: Add Tags