1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatability of nVidia graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheCherub, 9 Oct 2007.

1. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit both a 7800 GTX and an 8800 GTX to the same motherboard?

I am not considering SLI at all, I just need more monitor outputs.

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Both PCI-E? Nope, shouldn't work.

Unless there's a PCI version of a 7800GTX?

3. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

I already have a PCIe 16 version of the 7800, I am thinking about adding a 8800.

Is it just nVidia being annoying, as I know you can mix and match ATI cards?

4. capnPedro

It's more the chipset's fault (NVIDIA nForce?).
    I say "shouldn't" as every time I've tried to run PCI-E cards together, the motherboard has decided that it will only want to work if the cards are identical (even if they aren't running in SLI).

Any way you could borrow a card of someone to check your board?

5. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Unless CapnPedro is speaking from personal experience, I think he is probably mistaken. While I've never done what you hope to do, I know from experience that you can run two of the same card at the same time in non-SLI mode. I don't see why two different cards wouldn't work. After all, they both use the same driver, and we've come a long way from the days of AGP.

Edit: I see that he is speaking from personal experience. In that case, do as he says - if nobody else comments with a certain answer, try to borrow an example of the card you want to add to see if it works.

6. capnPedro

crazybob, yup I'm speaking from experience, but on second thought, I feel like I've seen this working before. I've just only ever got it working with an AGP/PCI combo.

So yeah, I could be wrong.

7. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Well I was thinking of buying one of the new Intel X38 chipset, which wouldn't suffer any problems in trying to do SLI (as it can't), and it also has 3 PCIe 16 slots.

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

The three PCI-E slots are mainly to support those Crossfire peeps out there and a possible physics card. I'd give it a go and see what ya get.

9. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

doubt it will work, but give it a try, would be intressting if it did work none the less...

10. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I've tried two graphics cards using PCI-E on an asus p5n-3 and it wouldn't work.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've done it with ATI cards, never tried with different Nvidia cards sorry. If I have time (doubtful this week :p) I'll give it a whirl for ya.

12. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

When I was testing a 7900GS(which turned out to work) I put it in as a second video card in my friend's Asus A8N-SLI with his 6600GT and the switch card was set to single card and windows booted fine and detected both cards. It should in theory work(all PCI-E slots should accept any PCI-E expansion card), but I think some motherboards have strange issues preventing it from happening.

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?