1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

compatibility advice

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by kim, 10 Aug 2019.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

hi guys
    I come here again to look for an advice, after spending some time on Google, I still have little doubts, and I hope some of you could guide me on this point.
    I decided to finish my main PC and fully watercool it, I have the CPU block already, and now my concern is to find the GPUs blocks, but I am very very picky and the choice is limited due to the outdated hardware. My 2 GPUs are XFX R9 290 DD, slightly different as one of them is based on Tahiti, when the other one is based on Hawaii, but similar in terms of design and dimensions, except the XFX logo enlightened; but there is a little difference in the outputs...one has
    1 x DL-DVI-I
    1 x SL-DVI-D
    1 x HDMI
    2 x mini Display Ports
    the other one has
    2 x DVI-D
    1 x HDMI
    1 x Display Port
    [​IMG]
    I really love the look of the kryographics Hawaii WB acrylic glass edition, nickel plated version:
    [​IMG]
    and to add the active XCS active blocks on the back of both cards
    [​IMG]
    it is meaned to be compatible with R9 290 and both of my GPUs are R9 290
    [​IMG]
    after watching a few videos about installation, I just always see this kind of R9 as exemple of installation
    [​IMG]
    My XFX are different in matter of cooling design but I suppose (hope) that the PCB is the same on all R9, and that both of my R9 are twins when removing the fans and rad, and that if I invest the money of all that Aquacomputer stuff it will not be wasted for incompatibility...
    thanks for reading and giving me your advices

Last edited: 10 Aug 2019
  2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

There's only one way of knowing, open up one of your cards and compare the PCB to what you see in the videos.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

According to Watercool's very comprehensive compatability chart, all the xfx R9 290 cards had reference pcb's.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I don't know if XFX still do it but they used to change the specification of supposedly stock GPUs, claim they were stock but were different enough for blocks not to fit.

5. kim

kim hardware addict

you're putting my fears in words :eeek:
    But the_Crapman seems to say opposite...:grin: I saw the same compatibility list but now what to think...

6. kim

kim hardware addict

you're right, but I was planning the dismounting only for the day when I have all the gear to start the loop, I need my XFX every days, and I confess I never do this careful operation before so I still have a foreboding feeling to do it just for a glance :grin:

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

It's really not as daunting as it may seem, but if you do take it apart, you will have to replace the thermal paste, but whatever thermal pads are there will be fine to reuse till you put your block on.

Goits

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Easiest way, fine the serial number for you card and email the watercooling company, they'll be able to tell you :) Such an easy thing to do but something people often forget!

9. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks for this advice The_crapman, it is relieving if I can open it up without damaging thermal pads, some new thermal paste cannot be a bad thing for the GPU for sure...
    Ohh, that is some great idea, I will try that first before open it up., Thanks Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete likes this.