1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Cordless Anti-Static Wrist Strap...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mason7773, 11 Oct 2011.

1. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

I never bother, honestly. I've built loads of computers, many on carpet (with socks on) and in dry winter air. Never killed a component. I figure it must take a pretty extraordinary circumstance to cause component death if I haven't yet.

2. antonyand

antonyand mmm Jaffa Cakes

If i was working on PC's every day, as my job, then yes i prob would wear one. But when i can just earth my self via touch for the short time i'm sorting the internal bits of the pc, then i find no need.

I can fully understand why some people wear them, the corded ones now!

Its just different peoples preferences. you might like Mcdonalds, but i like KFC, we can still get fat together.

3. Mason7773

Mason7773 What's a Dremel?

Haha, I think I'll just stick with the Artic Silver 5 CPU paste, and forget the Anti-Static device.

Plus, I don't fancy the idea of wrist band leads possibly getting in the way. Maybe I'll look into grabbing some sort of Anti-Static device locally in the future.

For now, the plugged in PSU with everything off, or just touching an unpainted part of the radiator seems like a good enough alternative.

4. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Folk should bear in mind this product is advertising itself as a CORDLESS anti static device.

That is completely insane

5. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Cordless = unproven.

Go with a real mat and wrist/ankle strap that connects to ground if you really want to be ESD-safe.

6. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I've not dammaged a component via static in 14 years of building and faffing about with computers. I just a touch a bare part of the case chasis for a second (and avoid touching pins and contacts), it's what most straps are connected to anyway.

I've done more damage using crap PSU's in the past.

:hehe: