1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs CPC Issue 70 Preview: Letting The Mac Out Of The Bag

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 May 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Ooh.. that's cool - did you manage to make an all-in-one?

3. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Nope, that was one area we did have to compromise on - but we did make a machine that was small (Silverstone Lascala case), and water-cooled :)

Mark did the build and I think we'll do a build log on the site at some point...

4. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Thats sounds like some very interesting articles.
    Is it possible to get a copy shipped to Denmark?

I'd pay for a pdf'ed issue as well...

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Macs are nothing if not well-built in my experience.

I'm not fond of Macs and I'd in almost all circumstances much rather use a PC I build myself, running Windows or Linux, than use a Mac, but as self-contained, well-made products I find that they do their job well.

I'm interested in seeing this article though - Given the skills of many PC enthusiasts I'd expect a very capable, elegant self-built alternative to a Mac to be plausible.

6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Looking forward to the postie coming on Monday

7. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

If you were trying to make a PC look as good as a Mac with every bit of software they had built in and all the extra little bells and whistles I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up more expensive.

8. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

In the last few years five of my friends have switched to Mac. Be it for music software, reliability, the laptop experience, but never for games. But that too is changing.

They're great machines. But it's Mac OS X that is worth the cash. I built an EFiX based machine this year to run Mac OS X on generic hardware. It kind of removed the point of the software-hardware relationship, but that option is always there.

There just needs to be a greater range and better GPUs. And I'll be happy.

9. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

10. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Thankyou very much Jamie :thumb:
    Have a cookie:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 May 2009
  11. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

And if they used Linux instead of windows, all the software bells and whistles would only cost 1 hour of labour for an experienced Linux Zealot to get looking the same as OSX and all the software most likely has Linux alternatives.
    I'm sure you could get a PC into the same case as the iMacs for cheaper seeing as the iMacs can run Windows anyway. Your just paying extra for the design of it. If there was enough demand for PC iMac lookalikes then I'm sure a company could make them for cheaper than the macs with the same hardware specifications.
    Macs have their uses and the cost is justified for whatever reason by those who buy them. It is just most PC users are not really all that bothered about having a sleek all in one box, they are more interested in performance and price. Different markets for different people.

As for the build I will certainly be looking forward to seeing it put up on the site. Also a 17 page article on Folding sounds quite interesting.

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Macs per se aren't "bad" computers. It's more the limited selection available that nags me. I'm thinking desktop models here. MacBooks are just fine. For desktops the only real alternative to a pc is the Mac Pro, since iMacs just are too underpowered and effectively non-upgradable. The only downside to the Mac Pro is that it's prohibitively expensive.

13. Walibe

Walibe What's a Dremel?

I can see this article going wrong but look forward to reading it anyway. However theres always the argument that if like the MACs you can always just buy one and stick Windows 7 on it.

14. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Thereby negating the reason 99% of people buy Macs.

People don't buy a Mac for the hardware, they buy it for the software. Any conversation I've had with a Mac user says something to this effect - that they're happy to a several hundred pound premium for OS X and live with an underpowered, unupgradeable system - an argument that I've never understood.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

do install Hackintosh from OSX86 project.

the OS is very nice, will be a delight to use if it supports GTX2_0 graphics cards. i don't want to sound like a Mac fanboi, and i never owned a real Mac in my life, but the .app system and the way drag and drop is implemented is fantastic. and don't get me started on how easy it is to write C++ in Xcode.

IMHO the perfect computing combo would be: Win 7 gaming desktop at home, a small netbook-like Macbook for on the go. (if i have the money for latter)

16. roblikesbeer

roblikesbeer Bindi's sex slave.

I'd be extremely tempted to buy a Mac if the hardware and software support for gaming was anything like it was on the PC. They so shiny.

17. Walibe

Walibe What's a Dremel?

Most of the converts I know buy them and run bootcamp. The MAC is only 50% about the software or less, the most part is the image.

18. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Ex-Vadim maker assembled Mac killer :D

19. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

It was a little tricky to squeeze it all into the media PC chassis, but it turned out a pretty sexy build in the end :D

The feature was a lot of fun to work on. Hopefully, it will be as fun to read :)

20. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

I thought it was a good article. My main objection to macs is the repulsively smug advertising and general "considerably richer than yow" image they project. That and the restrictive nature of the platform - give me good old buggy Wind Holes any day of the week.

Tags: Add Tags