1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 Which for OS and for storage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gurdeep14, 31 Jul 2012.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Nice :)

But if you do a compare, look at the FPS differences and see where you got your extra 430 points.

I've got you on all the graphics tests, only on physics do you truly beat me, oh and combined.. by 0.54 fps :D

I'm not taking anything away from you, but my rig is truly just for gaming so I didn't and don't see the point in spending all that on SB-E.

Now let me go cry in a corner :waah:

Teelzebub likes this.
  2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It was dizzi's I was aiming for :)

Winning is winning :p LOL.. only kidding. Same cards... pretty much same performance.

3. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

don't want to take up space on the front page so i will ask here

a question for pook or pocket

got a 64gb m4 as seen in sig

atm it is used for os, the apps i use the most (some big most small due to space constraints) and that's it

i have a load of larger apps like 6gb+ i simply can't fit

therefore i would like to upgrade to a 256gb ssd. Would the samsung be the ssd i would want? If so, why?

Also, would it be fine to put os, apps, AND games on here? or would it be bad for the drive to have this much stuff going on?

This leaves the question what to do with the redundant m4 :s

i have fsx with a load of addons.. maybe this could benefit from its own drive

4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

My 64GB c300 went in a friends laptop. Awesome upgrade :)

5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Tbh, the primary reason for recommending the 830 atm is that you can get one for ~£145 (Novatech being the cheapest the last time i checked)...

Well, for trim environments you could equally buy a Vertex 4 (have to be careful of naming now that there's the shonky Crucial V4), Plextor M3 Pro or Corsair Performance Pro...

...or, for non-trim (until you have Win8 on an intel controller), one of the highest end SFs, the Vertex 4 or 830 (in that order)...

...&, whilst they all have pros & cons & some have gains for very specific uses, they're near enough in overall performance to make it about price.

That is, unless you want to spend an extra £25 on a 5 year warranty from OCZ on the Vertex 4 (from loads of places) - vs a 3 year on the 830.

At the time i picked up my 2x 830s, there was such a huge difference in cost between the other high end models that they were the natural high end choice...

if they'd been the same price (which, again, they're still not), it would have been a toss up between a high end SF & the V4 for me.

x x x x x

As to the size - i only buy on the basis of whether it will provide enough room having taken off 28% total OP (~7% in most & ~14% in the SFs) & then leaving 20% of the remainder as free space... ...however this is me wanting something that's über robust in a heavy multitasking, non-trim environment.

As i've said before, unless you're using a SSD as (effectively) read only (ie games installs)... ...my min recommendation would be an extra 7% OP (no matter what the drive) & 15% of the remainder as free space, & on a non-SF, this equates to having approximately 187GB of usable space.

(256GB - 14% = 220.16 - 15% = ~187GB)

it is, however, entirely your choice as to whether to do this or not.

(OP=over provisioning - you increase it by under partitioning)

x x x x x

What to do with an old & slow SSD...?

Mmmmm...

Well, having 2 machines, things get shifted into this one when the 'proper' one gets upgraded (though i've still got my 4x V2s sat on a desk to use) &/or get passed on to friends/family for a pint if it'll do them a good turn (which is where the other V Turbo &, post Win8 being on technet, this one are going)...

The big problem is that, whilst your M4 will be faster than a HDD for reading from, it'll be slower than a (clean) HDD for highly sequential writes & significantly slower than the new high end drive on both reads & writes...

...so, how do you choose what apps/programs you want to run more slowly, & how much 'arsing about' will that take???

i guess the best option, off the top of my head, if you *really* want to reuse it in the same machine, might be for a couple of games...

...well, the loading time's not speed critical (& it'll be faster than a HDD), & it's effectively read only once you've got them installed so the slow writes aren't critical & there's no need for OP or (much) free space so you can use almost all of the space.

(only leaving enough so that Windows doesn't cry about lack of free space)

Oh, & games are fairly big so you're not arsing about deciding which of, potentially loads of, your tiny apps to install on it.

6. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 6 Aug 2012
  7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Stick FSX on it :)

8. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

a lovely detailed reply thank you pocket and thank you pookster