1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Crysis 2 announced, is multiformat

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Jun 2009.

1. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

What was wrong with Far Cry 2? I much preferred it to the original. It had a more interesting environment (Africa, as well as the open world thing), better weapons, a better story, and you could burn an entire village to the ground! What's not to like?

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Deus Ex. Thief 3. No One Lives Forever. Red Alert 3. The ENTIRE Orange Box. I could go on....

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

FarCry 2 wasn't even made by Crytek, why are you bringing it up?

4. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

As long as the engine can scale then all will be fine.... 720p on the console (internally rendered at 576p or whatever, then upscaled) whilst PC users can play with arguably better controls (mouse/keyboard.. and I did say arguably), plus resolutions of 1920x1200 if you have a half decent PC.

PC's vs Consoles...blah blah... its just the have's vs the have nots. No reason to begrudge either camp really. Not everyone can afford a decent PC, and not everyone wants to play their games sat at a desk in front of a monitor.

Both worlds win.... as long as Crytek actually deliver a version of this game for the PC which can scale..... graphically atleast, if gameplay remains the same.

5. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

GTA IV ? :D

6. pimlicosound

Because I'm a rabid Far Cry 2 evangelist! It's underrated, in my book.

7. sear

sear Guest

Here is the thing. Crysis is a dream game to play on the PC. The controls are divine, the pacing is such that the game is never too fast or to slow, for too long, it requires a certain level of intelligence and maturity to really get your head around (the gameplay, not the story; it's not a Call of Duty theme park ride), and it has as many options as you could dream of: config files, a huge list of console commands, graphics, audio and control options everywhere, perfect widescreen support that will scale to every resolution and monitor configuration available (even non-standard ones), and one of the best, full-featured editors to ever ship with a game (the exact same one they used to make it, in fact, right down to the typos in documentation, buggy half-finished scripting options, etc.).

The point is, Crytek is a PC gaming company through and through. They gave the PC community one hell of a game - even if you don't love it for its gameplay, story, etc. you have to admire their dedication towards providing a feature-rich package that truly did push the graphical boundaries in an age of increasingly stagnant, simplified, non-mod-friendly console ports. They wouldn't have done that if they didn't know their audience and if it didn't matter to them, and I doubt that will go by the wayside.

My real fear? Crysis 2 turning into a huge event for Microsoft at their E3 presentation... but on the Xbox instead of the PC. I called it, guys. It's gonna happen.

8. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

But it's not just about resolution...if the game is made with the hardware limitations of the console in mind then all manner of visual effects will have to be left out because of their limitied power....these can't simply be "put in" for the PC version as the engine was not be designed to accomodate them....so just turning up the resolution on the PC version of a ported game will only ever be a poor relation of a game designed for the PC exclusively.

9. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

I can see it now... Start up screen for Crysis 2 on my PC... Press 'A' (green) button to start.

Fail :-(

Bob

10. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

What he said. ^

11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Ooh, do let's have a console port!

- All sniper rifles laser-accurate out to the horizon
    - Bad guys respawn in the time it takes to clear your throat
    - Level design makes everyone a mime artist with liberal distribution of the Invisible Wall Mark One

Go here. Point gun. Press Button A. Do Not Pass Go. Do Not Collect 200 Microsoft Points.

Does this remind anyone of a certain Crytek-related sequel of our recent acquaintance?

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

This is bad news...... B A D !!

Any word on what the lead platform will be?

Please be PC... please be PC..... pleeeeeaaaase!!!

13. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

1st sequel to look worse than its predecessor? :p

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

^ It sure as hell has the potential!

15. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

It's not underrated, it's crap.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Agreed. It was fun at first, but is actually far linear than you are lead to believe. And the ****ing checkpoints! Who's brilliant idea was that?

It is also no where near as destructible as it looks.

17. pimlicosound

Crysis was FAR more linear than FC2. In Crysis, you couldn't always choose your mission, you couldn't choose who to deal with, you couldn't just go where you wanted without getting shot by the helicopter of death that stands in for the Invisible Wall. In FC2, the game progresses how and when you want it to, with no arbitrary limitations other than the edges of the map. There are only a handful of moments when the game funnels you along a path, for maybe 3 or 4 plot-essential missions.

Then there are the other things to do, like assassinations and attacking arms convoys. It felt like a much more realistic environment too, with a whole ecosystem of wildlife and proper weather. All in all, it felt much more like a proper sandbox game than Crysis, which felt like a regular FPS but with large maps.

I didn't care that the checkpoints in FC2 refilled themselves in 5 minutes. It just gave me more things to enjoy shooting the heck out of while barrelling around the map in an assault jeep.

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Linear is not the word i would use for FC2, i think tedious grind is more appropriate. Everything feels like it's just there to stretch gameplay hours, instead of entertaining the player.

19. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I see your arguments, and maybe think that I should rethink my wording. Technically, Crysis is obviously less open than FC2, but when playing it, FC2 feels more linear. Sure, you can choose which missions to do, but at the end of the day, you are still driving across incredibly boring landscapes (after the first hour or two at least), constantly getting harassed by checkpoints that you cleared out 15 times already, and IIRC you ALWAYS end up needing to shoot something, regardless of which mission. You might be shooting something different, but you are still only shooting. Take, for example, the missions you complete to unlock more guns. Sure, you have a choice of how to destroy the convoy, but at the end of the day, AK47s will be fired, things blow up, people die, and you have to do the exact same thing again to unlock the next weapons. It may not be linear in the typical sense of the word, but I definitely would not call it "free". And while there may be a wide choice of missions, each type of mission is a copy and paste affair in a different location with a different person. It all feels very Assassin's Creed.

The helicopter in Crysis is easy to take out with the correct weapons, aiming and tactics, so is hardly an "invisible wall" in copter form. You can't choose your mission in Crysis, but in my eyes that is an advantage. Crysis felt far more fluid and immersive, whereas in FC2 I felt like absolutely nothing I did changed anything. The same can be said for Crysis, but Crysis wasn't aiming for a big open world. It is to be expected in FC2, but it doesn't matter who or how many you kill, or what you blow up, burn down or clear out, since it has no effect. Checkpoints respawn full of enemies, and life goes on just as it did when you first started playing. You say it feels more realistic, and I would agree if it had been pulled off. But the fact of the matter is that if you have no effect on this "realistic" world, then it really isn't realistic at all.

Basically, what I am trying to say, is that Crysis did what it set out to do much better than what FC2 achieved. And if that wasn't enough, Crysis was just more fun for me. And that's all that matters really. I don't care how open the FC2 world looks, since in practice it just really isn't enjoyable to play.

20. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

Nice, pity about multi platform though :(

Tags: Add Tags