1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Custom Desk

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SJH, 8 Apr 2005.

1. SJH

SJH Minimodder

I was moving my desk out of the office earlier to make way for a new carpet that was being fitted, when the whole thing fell apart in a pile on the floor.

I took this as a sign that it needed replacing.

Went to B&Q and spent about £40 on wood and screws and got back and got to work. 4 hours later I have this:

[​IMG]

I also made a top out of some planks of pine but forgot to take a photo, and no force on earth can make me get out of this nice comfy chair - my back is killing me!

I'm not going for anything complex as you can see here, but I thought you all might like to see what I'm up to :)

I'll get this finished over the weekend I hope and post some finished pics :D

-Sam

2. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

looking good!

3. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

I know it's a bit late, but of you look at www.ergotron.com in the documentation/catalog area, they have some great info on ergonomical design, i.e. ideal monitor height, keyboard height, etc. Perhaps you can still work some of this in? Might help with that sore back :p

4. mUrml

mUrml What's a Dremel?

You'll be painting it or giving it a clear coat ???

And that glue thing outta be grinded down, otherwise looking really good. Great to see some handymen who prefers to do it by themselves :thumb:

5. SJH

SJH Minimodder

ehrnam45 - I actually took the measurements from my old desk which was at an ideal height for me anyway. The sore back was from working so damn hard :p I will bookmark that URL you gave me though, it does look handy and I'll certainly refer to it during future projects.

mUrml - I don't know yet what I'll do when I'm finished as far as treating it goes. I have a pot of wood wax which I used on the TV stand I built which gives it a nice untreated look while still protecting it, so I may well go with that. I'll definitely deal with the glue, too!

Oh, and here's the top. The planks will all line up when it's done (I hope) ;)

[​IMG]

Thanks for the comments :)

-Sam

6. Xenocide

Xenocide What's a Dremel?

My god, you're sexy.

Nice desk, I'll be sure to test it at some point. It certainly looks solid, good work!

7. KidModder

KidModder What's a Dremel?

pix ain't workin for me.

8. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Working fine here...

SJH, looking great. Hope it all goes well!

9. mUrml

mUrml What's a Dremel?

Well are you gonna use some LED's and stuff on the desk ??
    :D:D

10. SJH

SJH Minimodder

I may decide at a later date to buy some clear CCFLs (dual 12" tubes are only a couple of quid on eBay or EBuyer) to put at the back of the desk to light the wall up. It's all a question of money though - something I don't have much of!

-Sam

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Nice, how big does it measure up?

<A88>

12. SJH

SJH Minimodder

The top measures 180x68cm, and it's roughly 70cm high.

13. bwgames

bwgames Minimodder

14. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Yeah but look at the cost of that...three times what I've spent on this desk :D

15. bwgames

bwgames Minimodder

True, but its sweet :p
    Although, custom built desks are flexible...
    Hey, how about cutting out a square in the middle and making a massive bittech logo? Could cover it with polycarbonate or something so it was still flat? :D

16. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Ive got 2 huge ikea desks spanned across my room, and one in one of our storage garages :D they are good, but im gonna make my own sometime (keeping the ikea legs, as they are alright) and stain it... as i want one long desk (and i want it to be deeper... and have more space for stuff (2 17" CRT's take up alot of space!!!))

I think they were £20 for the tops... which was cheaper than buying a sheet o' wood at the time, but im now gonna get some 10ply (10ftx3ft) which will be nice compared to 2x desks spread across my room... if i feel like it i might end up making the desk 3.5ft deep... for fun :D
    take care... looking good man

17. Springs

Springs Boing boing

that IKIA desk is UGLY... it has now good way of showing off your computer.. :D

i'd reather build my own desk to the way i want it..

18. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I prefer this link simple but effective design.

Good luck SJH, custom desks rock.

19. daz_uk30

daz_uk30 What's a Dremel?

if you paint/spray the bare wood with caustic soda mixed with water ( you can also add in a bit of wood dye if you like ) leave it to dry overnight it will open up the grain & the wax will go on a lot better. ive just finished my own desk & was advised of that method from a friend who makes furniture for a living

20. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder