Windows Dead Island

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mansueto, 6 Sep 2011.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Think I Wilkinson give this a miss then.

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Sorry.... After playing a few MP rounds last night, I can't help this:

[​IMG]

Personally, I had high hopes for DI, but it's looking less and less likely that I will be getting it after the initial feedback I have been hearing and the gameplay I have seen :(

Shame, could have been a truely fantastic survival horror.

Zurechial likes this.
  3. viewasjack

viewasjack What's a Dremel?

Seems like a shame, my girlfriend had huge hopes for this game. She wouldn't leave L4D2 alone when it came out.

4. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

Personally I just don't get the Zombie thing. Don't get me wrong, one or 2 films and games that do the feeling of desperate survival properly are a welcome addition to our culture. But it seems like every other game has zombies in it nowadays. I mean, come on, zombies in borderland? Or even worse, in Red Dead Redemption. It's the bl****y wild west.

IMO for the vast majority of games it's just a lazy excuse for not being bothered to think up a good game design.

Seriously. I don't get it. Who on earth thinks it's a good idea to invest millions in creating a game that's basically a FPS where the enemies run at you with little or no intelligence. Wasn't that done in the nineties with Serious Sam? And the greatest bit of creativity they can come up with is giving some of the zombies special powers (so no longer zombies then) and sticking weapons together to make different weapons. And both of those concepts are now being copied ad infinitum.

Is it just the word "zombie" that sells? Because looking at the majority of zombie games released you could replace the "zombies" with random sprites and not actually change the game mechanics one jot. In which case, are they really zombie games or are they just derivative rubbish that would never even get made if the word zombie wasn't attached?

Rant over.

5. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

my game keeps on crashing for some reason and i have to do a complete power down and turn back on for it to work. the reset button dont even work

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

When I saw the first gameplay trailers for this I thought it looked lame and at the time I said that for a game so focused on melee it seemed stupid to have such weak, awkward-looking melee animations.
    The confirmation that I 'know' games as well as I think I do is satisfying, but I don't particularly enjoy being right about a new game being crap.
    I wish I could be proved wrong about these things more often. :p

I thought maybe they'd fix that stuff between Beta and going Gold, but I think wonky, unsatisfying first-person melee combat is the least of this game's problems.

7. total zombie

total zombie What's a Dremel?

i went to buy this game today from tesco, they had ps3 and xbox versions but no pc! that sucked, i cant get it from steam because it would take about six months to download and i always prefer boxed, am i missing something or what? or are tesco that bad? i got dx3 the other week no probs.

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Smells of being way too rushed out the doors. It sounds as though it could have been great fun but the reviews are leaving a bitter taste. It does look appealing though.

9. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Had a quick play last night, does feel rushed. It wasn't bad, but compared to how refined even L4D1 was on release this just doesn't feel finished.

I'm sure it'd be more fun with a full party of mates though.

10. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

OK, there is something seriously wrong with this game.

On my new rig (not the one in my sig), with a GTX 580 1.5gb Superclocked, fan speed instantly revs to 75% and temps shoot to 70oC!!

I've had a look around to see if this might be a bug or problem on my system and I've spotted people who have had the same issue but with 9800GTX's (Recommended is 9600gt) running at 107oC!!!!

There's some talk here and there about the issue being an uncapped framerate and Vysnc can fix this but I think this needs the 'STALKER: Complete' treatement and needs to be optimised a whole boat load better.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

here's a fix for vsync found

then make the file read only when done.. might help

dave_salmon likes this.
  12. dave_salmon

Cheers hippoz, I was just getting around to trying this when you replied.

13. dave_salmon

Turned on Vsync, and I can confirm that it solves the high temp and fan speed issue, but causes lots of choppyness (obviously because the framerate is being limited).

Here's hoping for a flood of patches to sort this mess out.

14. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Omg Whirly for prez! I agree completely. The only thing though is that a lot of young gamers today never played stuff like Serious Sam, so zombie bashers today are quite fresh to the new generation of gamers. It just sucks for the rest of us who hope to see things move forward, only to be served up these glorified whack-a-mole games. But that's modern gaming for ya! It just means we have to wait longer in between the good stuff.

15. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

When's the BT review coming?

16. thehippoz

geez this game sucks.. but the opening video is awesome- I'll up it to youtube =]

17. Metaporic

Metaporic Minimodder

Totally agree with you Whirly. Its a similar thing we see with Vampires these days (looking at you Twilight). I had way more fun with Serious Sam than I did in LFD and LFD2 haha. Id love to see a zombie game, where you get bitten, scratched or humped by a zombie, you yourself start to turn, not the LFD style health pool. Kinda like CS:S - Zombie Mod. That would certainly add a level of depth. Splinter Cell meets Resident evil.

Then again, would that sell? Not exactly a pick up and put down game style.

OT - Though the games technically flawed, I have heard its fun. Is that not really the most important thing? if you and a few mates can get online and have a blast, even with crashes and bugs. Id say it beats a lot of games that are technically perfect, but lacking in the most important area; fun. Patches are likely to fix a few of those issues anyway.

Could always wait for it to go on sale on steam and grab it for less and hopefully itl be patched.

18. thehippoz

it's just postal though with zombies

19. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I've been playing the game over LAN with a friend, and so far really enjoying it. I would imagine it would get boring as hell playing by yourself, but with 2 (or more) It's really good fun, the damage system and animation on the zombies is bloody brilliant as well (nothing like breaking both a zombies arms and they watch it try and bite you pathetically).

Also, throwing sharp weapons is gorram awesome.

20. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

one reason i heard that zombie's where so popular was the easy ai.