1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dead Space

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by phassy, 25 Jan 2010.

1. phassy

phassy What's a Dremel?

I have just finished playin dead space on pc , it blew me away some of the gameplay was a bit of a pain ya know not bein able to save i know the save stations are there but it was still a tad irritating but overall well impresed bring on D S 2:clap:

2. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Yeah, it was a very good game. Made me wonder several times why it sold so poorly.

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I got bored with it. I liked the concept. I liked the weapons, the monsters, the bosses. But I still got bored with it. For me, it was how slow the character moved. I like a faster pace.

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

A great game, and a beautiful one at that.

Although with that said, it was a bit slow paced.

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Completing it and going back to the beginning and getting the Stormtrooper armour was my most satisfying moment of 2009 :D

...reinstalling now. Need to play.

6. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Same here, moved too slowly. Also, personally I feel that the 3rd person removes a lot of the feeling behind the game. Make it first person, and it feels far more believable.

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

But that would remove the terror you feel when you see a slasher sneaking up behind you :D

Third person is always better for survival horror games IMO.

8. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Both 1st and 3rd person views have uses in horror games, but for me, its all about the "WTF!?!" turning around to see a monster in your face. :eeek:

But regardless, its the slowness for movement in the game that made me lose interest, not the camera view. if they could fix that, I would play :thumb:

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Actually, something analogous to Gears of War's sprint would have just about perfected this game.

10. Mustangdelta

Mustangdelta Who knew?

Its been about six months six since I've played the game, but it had a sprint option in the game, albeit for short distances.

Wasn't keen on the third person to begin with but by a quarter of the way through, couldn't imagine playing it any other way!

Awesome game and can't wait for the sequel.

11. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

baby stamping made me want to complete the game.

12. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

i didnt like the 3rd person much

not played it a whole lot but i couldnt find a way to drop the view angle back, the camera always felt way too close the the character that it blocked too much of my view

decent tho but a bit flawed

13. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That's the whole point. It makes things more tense when you can't see absolutely everything going on around you.

The same goes for the slow, clunky movements. He's wearing a metal space suit with huge alien-crushing boots FFS, not a tracksuit, so I wouldn't expect him to move around quickly, even though there is a sprint function for when you need it. It all comes together to make you feel more vulnerable, so it's not a flaw, it's very much an intentional design element.

14. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I though this game was terrific, the idea that you have to forget the normal notion of blasting critteres with guns was initially a little difficult to adjust to but you then had to remember to dismember the necromorphs rather than go for headshots.

I thought the regenerating beastie really added to the tension and I loved the way you were able to buy time for yourself whilst prepping the shuttle, very clever.

The player interface was lovely to use and looked fantastic and also I loved the path finding option.

The first time I was grabbed by the leviathan really made me jump and when you eventually confront it was a real sense of achievment when I was able to walk out of there.

The zero-g sections were very clever and a lot of fun, when you add going through them in a vacuum it would really rachet up the tension levels. Although once you unlocked the military rig the vacuum levels were not anything like as challenging.

I've seen a few previews of DS2 and it certainly looks good although I am a bit concerned that there is an alledged increase in combat, I thought the best part of the game was the fact that you were constantly on edge at the threat of action with a superbly implemented surround soundtrack.

Has anyone played the Wii version of Dead Space, my local Gamestation has it for £15 and I'm more than a little tempted?

15. Mustangdelta

Mustangdelta Who knew?

If I had a Wii, I would be all over this. From what I've read it adds a new level of suspense on the Wii.

16. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Where it was intentional or a mistake does not detour from the point that a lot of people do not like it. If you like the realism of taking an hour to move through a level because of your space suit, that fine.

Having said that, I think I see where the division is in this game smc: I like more fast paced games along the lines of Doom 3, and F.E.A.R. I'm thinking you prefer the more immersion, creepy, hide in shadows type.

Honestly, I think that this argument will going on until DS 6 comes out :lol:

17. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

I quite liked it but found the controls and sluggish movement a little strange - feels more like your controlling a robot than a person.. saying that i just got a usb xbox contoller and it feels more suited to the game than a keyboard and mouse.. (never though i'd say tha tbh)

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I loved it. It was one of the best games i played in 2008. Yes, I played it on the XBox.
    To me, (someone who normally likes faster paced games), it felt beautifully paced. It's also one of the few games that I felt got under my skin. There's something distinctly concerning about me running around stomping corpses because I am afraid of "batman" (I called it that... it's this big flying corpse reanimator thing).
    The part i DIDN'T like was the zero-G bits... but other than that i found it beautiful.

19. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I tried the X-Box controller and whilst it did make the weapon swapping a bit easier I still found the traditional mouse & keyboard combo was better - but that could be because I play nearly all of my games this way and I simply haven't had enough practice. I remember the heady days of first being introduced to using the mouse to look around, took ages to get the hang of it but looking back I find in difficult to believe that I was able to complete games like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D by using just a keyboard.

With regards to the character movement being sluggish in DS, isn't this a reflection of the heavy RIG that Isaac is wearing? I seem to recall that once I'd unlocked the military RIG I was able to move about quite quickly (relatively speaking) and could run away from some of the necromorphs, certainly the slower ones. I also recall there being several areas both on the ship and down at the colony where the floor was very sticky and you couldn't run.

On a different topic, which weapons do people prefer in DS?
    For me I stick with the plasma cutter, the line gun, the saw and the flamer. I tried the pulse gun at the start and didn't like it at all and since the point of this game was that traditional gunplay wouldn't work very well against the necromorphs I ditched it pretty much straight away. I'm tempted on my next play through to try using the force gun and contact beam, has anyone tried them and are they any better than the other weapons?

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I totally loved this game! I remember that first time the whole steering thing put my off and I left the game for about 6 months or so. Then installed again, it was so scary that I couldn't play alone, always had to have someone in the room:) Also, I played during the day, as soon as night started I had to turn it off:) I think I'm getting old and those games are too scary for me now:) However, I loved the whole game, after 4-5 chapters I was able to play in the night and alone.. and with headphones! That was nice and scary as hell!:)
    I played it twice, I had to try out that shiny white super-suit. Then I never played nightmare mode, cause I thought I could do it right after I finish it first time(apparently you need to play second time and then third time will be able to play nightmare).
    My favourite weapon was plasma cutter, upgraded to maximum, then maxed out line gun. Flame thrower - I played with it 5 minutes and sold it, pointless for me...
    Anyway, I'm waiting for Dead Space 2 - when is it out? This year, right?