1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defending Your Home

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Major, 3 Mar 2008.

1. Major

Major Guest

Just read this on the Sky website.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1307738,00.html

Although this looks like a really big mistake i.e. the guy had gone to the wrong house, do you think this guy should be done for murder? It seems he just flipped out as he has seen someone trying to break into his house, which to be fair would be the response of the majority of people in these kinds of situations.

I'll be honest and say that if someone was trying to break into my house, that is pretty much what I would do, better you than me, or my family.

What do others think about this?

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

It doesn't mention anywhere in the article if the guy was actually in the house, it only says he attempted to enter, which would make this quite a different story.

3. Major

Major Guest

Aye very true actually...

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

This all hinges on whether the drunk ugly guy was inside the old dude's home. If he was inside, then all's good and he should get off. If he was just at the door or window or something, the old guy should probably take a manslaughter stint and with a low parole set.

As for what I think, I keep a knife with a 6 inch blade in my room for general usage, but if I ever heard intruders in my house it'd be what I'd reach for. If I could confirm they weren't friendlies, they'd get the steel.

5. Major

Major Guest

Heh, I don't think confirming friendlies in the dark is that easy. :D

As for me, I have a nice knife next to my bed at all times, and a metal baseball bat under my bed.

6. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Member

What if it's some dude who's drunk and thinks it's his house? You know he's not going to rob you. Do you talk him down?

7. Major

Major Guest

Think I would say something like "What the **** are you doing in my house). :D

I actually know someone who walked into their next door neighbours house around 12am at night after a piss up, but as the people knew him, and he knew them, it was a lot different.

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well I live out in the country and our doors and windows are pretty much drunken burgler proof - but Major, it's a lot easier to confirm bad persons than you imply. For one, you can switch on a light, you can also listen to noise, assess who's in the house. True, there's probably never 100% certainty but I hear people moving about my house at night fairly regularly, opening doors etc. and I know full well they're not burglers. A smashed window at 3am though? Not gonna be the old man going for a glass of milk.

No doubt the situation is never ideal, but I still keep a knife in my room (not specifically for that, but it's there) and I'd still grab it and use it if people broke into my house. Might try scaring 'em off first just to save the paperwork.

9. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Member

Man, how in the hell did he kill him with a knife!!! That's a bit much.

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

When stabbing people, people with knives seem to do one of two things. Stab the person and then be shocked and that's that. Or stab the person, and then again, and then again, and then again. Hence why you have cases not uncommonly of people who've been murdered by knives being stabbed anywhere between say 10 and 50 times. The attacker just keeps on stabbing and stabbing. Personally I think 42 times has a certain well-read murderer air to it.

11. Major

Major Guest

You can easily get stabbed once, and your dead in a few minutes, it's quite easy.

Or you can get stabbed 20 times, and survive.

12. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Member

[​IMG]

Sorry - I couldn't resist :hip:

13. Major

Major Guest

^^

One Autopsy show I have seen on C4, they had a show dedicated to stab injuries, they asked the audience what would happen if a person got stabbed in 3 places (not at the same time), and suprisingly, every single injury killed someone, even if the knife isn't long.

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Mar 2008
  14. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Member

oh no i totally believe you, just couldn't resist a joke :D

15. iggy

iggy Active Member

goddamn wombs killing people! as if knifes and guns werent enough, now reproductive organs?

16. Major

Major Guest

... :(

17. iggy

iggy Active Member

mwahahahaha

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Then you know there's no harm, just slam the door in his face and wait for the police to haul him off to the drunk tank. It comes down to how well you've assessed the situation, and whether you've made a sufficient effort to do so.

19. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Your logic is flawed. I don't need to have an unidentified man standing in my living room before I can feel threatened.

20. Matkubicki

Matkubicki New Member

If someone ever broke into my home i'd attempt to leave, or failing that show them where to find everything they wanted. You have insurance for a reason, to save you from risking your life protecting possessions.