1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Dell to fix faulty M11x R1 and R2 hinges regardless of warranty status everywhere

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 12 Sep 2011.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hello,

I don't know if this affects anyone here, but just would like to let everyone know, especially if you ever fall in fixing one the Alienware M11x R1 or R2 models, or you have one yourself, but:

Dell is providing free fixing of the hinges fault issue anywhere in the world, even when its completely out of warranty.

Press Release: http://en.community.dell.com/dell-b...1x-systems-globally.aspx#.Tm4xVt07ik0.twitter

Apparently, you just need to call up Tech Support, and go from there.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
  2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Amazing!

3. Brooksie

Brooksie What's a Dremel?

I read this on the notebook review forums. This is good news as the hinges have just started failing on my R1.

4. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

My failed hinges were replaced about 2 months ago on this scheme, the orignal hinge design is badly flawed. Feller turned up take my M11xR2 to bits and attached a completely new screen/lid assembly with the improved hinge (I made him do it again when he sheepishly tried to excuse the extra screw left over at the end; no, that's one of the hinge screws d***head!).

As an asside, you may be aware the UK spec M11x is not available with mobile broadband, it neither comes with the mini-pcie WWAN card or the extra antennae installed in the lid, however my replacement screen had the extra antennae! At this stage all I would need is a suitable WWAN card and broadband SIM and I am in business, yay!

5. Brooksie

Brooksie What's a Dremel?

That's awesome! I really want WWAN in my laptop, without having to tear the screen apart. I was going to ask Dell when I get my screen done if they will supply me one with the aerial.

How did you know btw that you had the extra aerial? Was your laptop still in warranty? I've heard that if it's not you have to send it off.

In terms of wireless cards get the Gobi 2000.

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

no problems for me as yet but thanks for the heads up

7. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

It was on the cusp of warranty, but I had read about alienware holding their hands up and offering to replace all flawed hinges globally several months ago. As mentioned, a technician is dispatched to do the job in situ, he turned up with the part, almost made a hash of it and left, job done, 30 minutes or so. I supervised the entire installation of course and it was clear that the lid/screen/hinge assembly being removed only had 2 antennae for WLAN, whereas the replacement had 4, I quizzed him and he confirmed the 2 extra antennae were designed for WWAN (although I suspect it may also be possible to use the extra antennae on a triple antenna WLAN card too, not tested :)).

I never specifically asked for a WWAN antenna replacement screen, it may be luck of the draw. No harm in asking, bear in mind the replacement cost me absolutely nothing though. Thinking about it logically what are 2 antenna cables, maybe providing and installing these items on a mass scale would cost pennies? Compare this to logistical issues whereby dell have to stock and ship 2 types of replacement screen at all times to satisfy both types of customer and the risk of customers getting the wrong kind of screen and complaining, I would not be surprised if all the replacement screens are the WWAN spec, this needs to be verified however.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If the machine was available with WWAN at any point they'll probably just spec up a pile of those screens to save on carrying around different versions with them on these repair jobs.

9. Bede

Bede Minimodder

This is good news as I was planning on calling them up soon, mine make an ominous cracking sound when I open the lid :D Although they also need to replace the screen - horrible number of dead pixels.

10. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Excellent news and a very positive step for Dell / Alienware.

Luckily my M11x has already has its hinges fixed under warranty so I am ok but it is good to know that it will be covered again even out of warranty.

11. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

The hinge design on the R1 and R2 is flawed, it is matter of time before original hinges on those models fail, the hinge design was addressed and corrected in the R3. Anyone getting a replacement screen is receiving the R3 spec hinges and screen, unless the new type of screen design is also flawed the hinges should not fail again.

12. JUGADORES

JUGADORES What's a Dremel?

**NOT IN CASES OF SELF REPAIR***

I can confirm i have had it officially pointed out to me by UK management that it doesnt apply if you have self repaired.

There is no discretion.

Hope this helps. confirmation is here

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19459456/20153657.aspx

Please note you will get a refurbished lid if you pay for it. mine had 13 scratches on it. I had nil on my old one.