1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Deus-Ex: Human Revolution site hacked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Oh will these hackers please go away. It's not funny and a lot of people want to play the game: I hope this doesn't result in a delay.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

What have Square-Enix done to deserve this?

I would have thought people like Anon would have been rather looking forward to Deus Ex 3.

4. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I don't get it. Why would they do this?

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

There seems to be an internal dispute going on in Anonymous or in AnonOps, the pseudo-organised component of Anonymous; regarded by some as the ringleaders of the DoS operations.
    'Anonymous' as a collective is open to membership from anyone, but their attacks seem to have been typically spearheaded by a select few.

Recently, a channel was commandeered by an anon with a grudge over disputes as to who should be running the thing; and this attack looks like either an attempt at framing some of the former leaders of AnonOps by plastering their names on the hijacked site, or vice versa. It's hard to keep track of who's who.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-hacked-main-anonymous-irc-servers-seized.ars
    http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/05/anonymous-splinter-group-implicated-in-game-company-hack/

Last edited: 13 May 2011
  6. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I remember the days when teenage sociopaths just murdered their parents to get their kicks.

7. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

OMFG WTF PLEASE GO AWAY ALREADY.

Bitches.

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Why do people rob convenience stores? Why do people throw trash down storm drains? Why did some guy try to cut me off in traffic the other day?

Some people are dicks. Some people are dicks with internet accounts. Some dicks with internet accounts feel the need to overcompensate for their insecurities by making public displays of their conquests in hacking popular websites.

It's graffiti tagging in the digital era.

I wonder what the fallout will be. When the PlayStation Network was brought down a lot of people gave a silent nod of approval because of their dislike of Sony. While I agree that Sony shares some responsibility due to their poor security, I believe too many people misplaced their blame. I wonder if some of those same people still think hacking is cool.

9. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Or indeed it could just be part of a vague plan by software company's/publishers to blame absolutely every cock up they make or hack by unknown people on Anonymous.
    Anonymous = the latest scapegoats?

10. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I don’t get all the fuss...

Let’s say someone owned a jewellery shop (Shiny Shiny) and they had inadequate security...They get robbed, people will question the security not the motives of the robbers who obviously want the shiny shiny!

So in this case and Sony’s case, they left the door open, so they got turned over. it’s as simple as that.

It doesn’t matter is they profit from the personal data, distribute it for free or just did it for giggles. Bottom line is people will try so you’d better lock your doors!

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

So who to blame when RBOS, LloydsTSB, Barclays, HSBC, Nationwide, Santander, Zurich etc etc get hacked?

12. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

Can things go back to normal now? I'd like a semi-quiet day on the internet for once.
    So far I have still been unaffected by any of this. It is becoming a bit of a joke now, though I'm just curious as to how long until it is my data that gets stolen.
    I'm failing to see any reasoning behind this other than 'LOL I H4X U'

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    They removed Linux support?

14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'm just waiting for these guys to piss off the wrong people. They think they are invincible and can hide forever. Tell that to Bin Laden.

15. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

hang on, so if I only lock my door when I leave the house rather than armour-plate the whole building, I'm the one that's at fault? Hard line...

16. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Uhmm doesn't wash with me :) . But a truly cross-platform Deus Ex 3 - now that would be amazing!

17. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I'm only saying it seems like they targeted the site not for the data, but because they could, it could have easily been any other site. Its not in defense of the action, id be pissed off if my data got stolen, however its going to happen weather you like it or not. Sites need to bluster their defenses...Or encrypt the data!

Its an opportunistic thing, like someone seeing you left your car window down...by by Stereo..or indeed car.

18. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Sounds like a kid or two being pathetic. I'm getting very bored and slightly annoyed at these games.

If anonymous wants to do the world a favor, they need to target corporations that harm people, countries or the atmosphere, or political groups that do likewise, or just downright dishonest arsewipes. They have/had a chance to be the good guys, they are rapidly ****ing that up. (added: assuming it was anything to do with them ............)

19. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Methinks those type of groups have way higher security though

20. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

When they catch these guys they should set em free in the wilds of Africa to be eaten by wild animals and if they manage to make it out alive then we should give them a job hacking into terrorist networks and such.

Tags: Add Tags