1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dialup 0wns j00

Discussion in 'General' started by Adam, 29 Nov 2002.

1. SleeperDC

SleeperDC What's a Dremel?

ooooo...even changed the topic...:rock: :rock:

2. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I was on 56k for 2-3 years, and 28.8 before that...

I just got broadband this summer, and, man, I'm never going back ;)

3. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

i dont boast about that, i boast about the enpormous amount of stuf i can download in the space of my uptime!

i could beat it, but i disconnect every 2 hours, so its impossible, its server side too so impossible to stop :(

i go for computer uptime :) whats you rbest computer uptime? i have about 1wk 2days on a cereron 400mhz w/256mb RAM :)

4. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

The fastest internet connection know to man is...um...huh, I forgot the exact name. It's like OX-90 or something......Uh, anyway, it can transfer gigabytes at a time!!! The only downside is...it costs millions of dollars each month.
    Here is my list for the best connections:

1)Cable
    2)DSL
    3)56K
    4)Sattelite
    5)28.8

Okay, even though there is a little debate over cable and dsl, cable is usually the better choice. Because, no matter how far you are from the mainframes, you get the same speed. Technicly speaking, DSL is faster, but, you have to be in a certain range of their mainframe to get it. And if they say you can get it, make sure you're not too far from them or your screwed. Unless you live nextdoor to a DSL mainframe, go with cable. You may be asking why 56K above Sattelite? The problem with sattelite is that the ping time is horrible (it has to travel from earth to space and back down to earth). Sattelite is okay if your only surfing, but if you game at all, you will be hurting!!! Most 56K has pretty good ping, but for a lot of people (i.e. AOL Users), there 56K is too slow! And of course we all know why 28.8 is at the bottom.

5. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Well there is OC-768, which transfers around 40 Gbps, about 5GB/s. Although its pointless as the main links connecting around the world don't carry that much data and also how do you think you could max out 5GB/s of transfers? an OC-12 (622Mbps) would be plenty, ;)!

6. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Three months, two weeks, 4 days on a Dual Athlon MP 1.4 with a gig of RAM and two Tb of RAID, on Windows 2000 Adv Server. (Had a large UPS too)

Oh hang on, that wasn't mine, that was my mate's server (he runs a webhosting company). I helped him set it up tho.

My OWN longest uptime on Linux is:
    Workstation uptime? Somewhere near 1 week 3 days on WinXP pro. :D

7. JADS

I've run XP for well over 3 weeks before, the only reason it ever got shut down last year was for swapping hdds in and out.

8. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

My winxp pro uptime

1 month 9 days 7 hrs 36 min

on a toshiba p4 1.6m laptop
    256 mb ram
    18/6 gb hard drive
    dual TFT screens

9. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

/me flips between Windows and Redhat and Gentoo so I don't stay in one for very long usually :hehe:

ALthough I'd have to guess about a month. That's when Windows usually decides it's time to bite the dust and make me re-install it's stupid ass.

See sig for my specs.

10. JADS

Which Windows are you using? I was using WinXP Pro for over a year without a reinstall, it went to the wall a couple of weeks back through my own error otherwise it would have had a much longer life. This install will probably last until I buy a new PC whenever that is.

11. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Windows 2000.

It really doesn't matter though....

Windows 98SE does the same thing, and XP wasn't on my computer long enough to die. It wouldn't connect to the internet, so it was useless, so I changed it's reg setting for product name from Windows XP to ****OS and it warned me that I was breaking the law.

:hehe:

link to piccie of funnies (56k unfriendly)

12. markit

markit What's a Dremel?

And how will it tell m$ because it can't connect :D

13. Adam

Adam Minimodder

My rig(s) are in my bedroom and I can't sleep with them on (except when I've had a bit to drink), so my longest uptime is about 16 hours. That is all about to change though when Project Covert is complete. I'm running gentoo so expect to see some serious uptime.

My smoothwall on the other hand runs continuously since I silenced it with lots of foam :eeek: so my current uptime is about 2 weeks.

14. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

at the moment my longest dial up time seems to be ten minutes before im disconnected. then it takes 20 minutes to reconnect. Damn bt

15. ChriX

ChriX ^

Woo, ordered clara yesterday, its already been connected for 18hrs :D

16. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Congrats, let's hope it lasts rather than going the way of fast24.

17. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

<chuckleS>

so THIS is why we have our session timeouts set to 4 hours at work.. 2 hours on people that idle for large ammounts of time..

idling just causes isps to add more lines, and helps keep the cost of internet service up.. good for me.. :)

-scoob8000

18. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Slight thread revival to boast of my new record (still going strong).

[​IMG]

pwned :rock:

19. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

*fires up Linux*

*gives Adam the old ping -f*

*watches has his 0wnage burns to the ground*

:hehe:

Just kidding, nice work on keeping Dial up going so long.

20. monolith

monolith True Friend

The server I host bit-tech on is on an oc192 (9.2gbit/s). You are quite correct, the fibre linking the world doesn't carry near that much bandwidth, especially being saturated by 10 bazillion users. The largest actual deployed oc line is the oc 256 right now, they use it for a corperate WAN. Things like the oc768 only exist in laboritories. :)