1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Display Calibration - How Good a Match Can You Get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Aug 2019.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'd love to calibrate my monitor but i can't justify an adequate piece of kit that does a decent job.

May keep an eye out for a second hand jobby.

Edit: although if they degrade over time (yes i read your posts!) that may be a waste of cash

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Apparently - and yes, this is research I should have done before bidding on that Huey - a colorimeter with exposed filters, like the Pantone Huey, can start to fail in as little as a year or two; sealed units with the filters behind glass, like the Colormunki Display I just bought, are good for a lot longer (but do still degrade.)

You're welcome to borrow this Colormunki, if you cover insured postage both ways and don't do something daft like try to calibrate your nostrils or eat your dinner off the lens.

adidan likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This thing's *fun* - and tells me that the manufacturer overshot its estimation of the display's contrast ratio (surprise, surprise - the bumph claims 1,000:1, DisplayCAL measures 839:1.)

Code:
    14:42:50,712 Setting up the instrument
    14:42:50,712 Product Name:      Colormunki Display
    14:42:50,713 Serial Number:     CM-19.B-02
    14:42:50,713 Firmware Version:  v2.28
    14:42:50,713 Firmware Date:     29Jan14
    14:42:50,713 dispcal: Warning - new_dispwin: Expected VideoLUT depth 11 doesn't match       ↲
                 ↳ actual 10
    14:42:50,713 Current calibration response:
    14:42:50,713 Black level = 0.1398 cd/m^2
    14:42:50,713 50%   level = 25.43 cd/m^2
    14:42:50,713 White level = 117.37 cd/m^2
    14:42:50,713 Aprox. gamma = 2.21
    14:42:50,713 Contrast ratio = 839:1
    14:42:50,713 White chromaticity coordinates 0.3123, 0.3288
    14:42:50,713 White    Correlated Color Temperature = 6527K, DE 2K to locus =  4.8
    14:42:50,713 White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6529K, DE 2K to locus =  0.1
    14:42:50,713 White        Visual Color Temperature = 6355K, DE 2K to locus =  4.6
    14:42:50,713 White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 6526K, DE 2K to locus =  0.1

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Mfr's making misleading claims about their wares? never!

...also if it's your old philips, could the discrepancy be accounted for by age of the panel and back-light?

I'd also like to properly calibrate my old dell but i think it's past it [and it's in dire need of a proper clean]

5. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, to be fair it might have been 1,000:1 eight years ago...

6. Gareth Halfacree

I really should be doing other stuff, but I figured I'd see what difference the calibration makes.

Here's the uncalibrated monitor, as compared to sRGB:

upload_2019-8-16_15-48-19.png

And here's the same monitor, same display settings, but with the calibration file applied:

upload_2019-8-16_15-49-4.png

Things look a little washed out to my eyes, maybe, but I guess it'll take some time to adjust to colours being right instead of how they were before.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Here you can literally see the colours being pulled closer to where they're supposed to be.

Uncalibrated:
    upload_2019-8-16_15-53-10.png

Calibrated:
    upload_2019-8-16_15-53-27.png

Should have bought one of these things *ages* ago!

8. adidan

That's a very kind offer Gareth, i may just take you up on that.

It'll be a while yet, i have to get back to the uk and do a new build but if you're still offering later in the year it may be quite nice to get it all calibrated up for once. :thumb:

9. Gareth Halfacree

Playing some more (YES I HAVE DEADLINES TO HIT SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UUUUUUUUUUP!)

Found an option to compensate for ambient lighting and actual environmental colour temperature as measured by the colorimeter (which, it reckons, is around 6,000K rather than 6,500K - guess my 'daylight' bulbs aren't quite up to snuff), and realised I'm probably using the gamma curve setting wrong (setting it to sRGB because that's what I want, instead of setting it to 2.2 'cos that's what the monitor reckons it's set at.)

Eyeballing it, the result is that some of the colours that were washed-out on the original colour profile are a bit deeper now, though still paler than turning colour management off altogether. It has, however, brought the maximum delta-E even further down:

upload_2019-8-16_16-43-7.png

And pushed those colours at the bottom of the gamut chart a bit closer to their targets (though they're still not quite there yet, and probably never will be on this monitor.)

upload_2019-8-16_16-44-18.png

Pretty good match to the gamma curve, though it loses it at 85-90 percent:

upload_2019-8-16_16-45-15.png

And the RGB gray balance is fine down to about 15 percent, after which it goes all skwiffy - thanks, I'm guessing, to the TN panel.

upload_2019-8-16_16-46-2.png

Considering each calibration takes about 20 minutes (which is a lot faster than a Spyder - apparently they take about an hour to do the same thing!) I should probably leave it there. Still, fun!

10. adidan

@Gareth Halfacree This got me thinking if you couldn't have hunted around to see if there was the need for a group test of calibration tools spanning the price range.

Testing them out on new monitors and, i don't know, say an old Philips number.

11. Gareth Halfacree

The thought had occurred!

12. Gareth Halfacree

Things I has learnded throughout this process:
    • Don't buy old colorimeters, they don't work.
    • Does your monitor have a special sRGB mode that actually works, unlike mine which is massively too warm? Then set the gamma curve in DisplayCAL to sRGB.
    • Does your monitor not have a special sRGB mode that actually works? Then set the gamma curve in DisplayCAL to 2.2. Don't try to get smart, it's the default for a reason.
    • Don't set the curve to "As Measured" unless you want the colour correction to only apply to images in colour-managed applications; you need a 1D LUT to correct non-managed stuff, like the desktop environment, and that only gets generated if you pick a curve.
    • Is your job video production? Congratulations, you're going to need to piss-arse about with the 3D LUTs. Is your job not video production? Leave it alone, only madness awaits you there.
    • If your colorimeter has a way to measure ambient lighting, use it. Also, use DisplayCAL's handy-dandy interactive adjustment screen to match the brightnesses between your displays for best results (paying attention to the numerical figure, not the "hit the bar in the middle" arrows.)
    • Firefox needs you to go into about:config and set gfx.color_management.mode to 1, otherwise it'll only apply your colour correction profile to tagged images which will leave you spending half an hour trying to work out why the heck the pictures look different in the browser than in your image editor like an idiot YES I'M TALKING ABOUT MYSELF.
    • While you're in there, set gfx.color_management.enablev4 in order to take advantage of additional information in DisplayCAL's ICM profiles. Though don't bother putting the location of the ICM file in gfx.color_management.display_profile 'cos if you leave it blank it'll automatically use whatever profile you've got set in your display settings.
    • Got a wide gamut display? This is all probably going to be a massive pain in the arris. Serves you right, you flash get.

adidan likes this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

And knowing what I now know, I've had another crack at the laptop:

upload_2019-8-17_10-6-15.png

Happy with those figures.

upload_2019-8-17_10-6-38.png

Closer adherence to the sRGB gamma curve than my desktop.

upload_2019-8-17_10-7-13.png

Much better grey balance at lower intensity.

upload_2019-8-17_10-8-32.png

Pretty good gamut coverage, too - 95.5 percent.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2019
  14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Not too bad, reviews put my laptop at 92% but I do wonder if that was with the default intel gpu power saving features enabled that make things look a little washed out as it dynamically adjust colour to suit content, I should dig out my eye, though it is probably out of spec if they age as you suggest. The old laptop was 99.7% can't say I've noticed much degradation beyond reduced brightness of current laptop screen, side by side they are quite similar or differences subtle enough for my eyes not to notice.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Ooh! Ohh! Another thing I has learnded: when the instructions say "let your display warm up for at least half an hour first," let your display warm up for at least half an hour first. Seriously. I've got a test pattern image that does the checkered-boxes-next-to-grey trick to tell you your display's gamma: right now, having just turned it on, it's at a 1.7; in half an hour's time, it'll be at 2.2 without me doing jack.

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Place yer bets here: how long until Gareth breaks down and buys one of those fancy-pants monitor hoods to keep external lighting off the panel?

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

This is why I love Dell's Ultrasharp range and their integration of DisplayCal and the XRite1. The colours match nigh on perfectly between monitors.

18. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Probably not even video production. They cannot control the quality of the display their work will be view on, so why waste all that time? Most people will view it on a device that renders the colour wrong anyways. There is one group who do need to know and care, publishing, I don't mean the black and white nonsense with words... er [checks audience] um... I mean print advertisement, poster, catalogues, etc. The people who really care because the colour they see on screen must match what is physically produced. The people who had to know which colour profile to use based on which printing press and ink set would be used... That said you right, no should muck around with it.

19. Gareth Halfacree

I don't know of any publishing software which supports 3D LUTs. (I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I'm just saying I don't know of any - but then I'm sat here using a combination of The Gimp, Google Docs, and LibreOffice to do all my work, so I'm not exactly in-the-know when it comes to expensive proprietary stuff.)

They are, however, used heavily in the film industry:

20. veato

veato I should be working

Affinity Publisher supports 3D LUTs but I don't know in which context they're used as I haven't tried it.