1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Disturbing pictures* Sign the shark bait petition!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Tim S, 28 Sep 2005.

1. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Have you ever gone fishing and used live bait? It's the same principal... live bait will attract better then a dead worm or minnow will. I don't see why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch about it. It's not like they're coming to YOUR house and taking YOUR dog to use as bait. If you were in their shoes, you'd be defending your right to be able to do what they're doing. So just stop and think about it.

2. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

so the people who consider cows to be sacred can come and kick your arse?

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

EDIT: What I said has been said, gonna redo this with actual content

EDIT2: I'm boring and stupid, and have nothing to add, this post is dead.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

:hehe: Nice one.

Funnily enough I am just watching a programme on "The Waterloo Cup": a fine British tradition in which a pack of racing hounds hunt a hare to death in a field where it has no escape...

This made me think of another fine tradition: fox hunting, in which a fox is chased literally to the point of collapse and then ripped apart by a pack of dogs. Remember what a debate that sparked here? Plenty of people felt that the fox was vermin and that it was a perfectly acceptable way to dispatch it, and that opponents of this "sport" didn't understand the realities of living in the countryside where foxes threatened livestock and livelihoods, and should butt out of what was a local cultural tradition and heritage.

Yet here we are, ready to admonish others who are trying to eke out a sparse living in a way that we do not approve of. As I said: glass houses...

5. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I think we should help out both our societies by sending over some chavs. For starters they generally come with their own ring of some form to connect them to the line, no one is too fussed over the matter of a few dead chavs (regardless of how they were killed), and we have a lot of them so we can support an entire fishing economy.

We get rid of chavs and clean up our cities, and the fishermen get to carry on fishing with effective live bait, works perfectly. :)

6. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Well, why not shark fish with hobos? They do it with stray dogs & cats. Let's start pulling homeless off the streets, stick huge hook in there mouth and throw them overboard. It's the same thing, right?

7. Nexxo

Interesting proposition, but we may get the WWF after us for abusing the sharks. :D

8. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Haha, it took me a second to remember that WWF is the wildlife group. I was like "WTF does wrestling have to do with chavs and sharks?"

9. Nexxo

ROFL! :hehe:

10. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

your missing the point, people have been fishing sense man learned to fish using "normal" bait, to use dogs and cats is strictly out of cruelty. They are no different then the people that get a kick out of beating animals for fun. And yes there is a real complaint here with the fact that sharks dont eat cats and dogs, you wouldnt feed horse meat to a snake any more then a dog to a shark. Again this is done out of cruelty not because they make for better bait. Its all about shock value for thier customers, which they also prob charge more just to use them.

I think these people should be hooked and draged in the water just like they do to the animals.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2005
  11. Comg33k

Comg33k What's a Dremel?

Opinions matter not by government. So forceing a law against it would only help the half of it. Besides it's France or something. We don't need them on this earth anyway... Hahah j/k but hey I mean foreigners think weird? yes?

12. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

That seems like a lot of speculation to me. You don't really know that it's done out of cruelty because you've never been there (a bit of speculation of my own :worried: ) and don't fully understand how this all works. (And I know that snakes have bitten horses, so why not feed snakes horse meat? :idea: ...Because in Western culture, horses are used for food maybe?

Everyone's getting all flustered saying "If they did that to my dog, then I'd *insert long, redudant string of vulgarities and threats* to those idiots!!" The point is, nobody's threatening to do this to your dog. So stop acting like it.

Then, we do things to animals that people feel is just as bad as what people think of this whole "dog bait" deal. There's two sides to the coin. Just because you feel that it's wrong doesn't mean it is. I'm sure that just as many people feel the way that any livestock is treated in the West is just as appalling. (So basically, flip the situation and change the animal: now we are the ones mistreating the animal(s), often times ones considered holy by others.

As for the whole "dogs aren't natural food for sharks"... I don't think worms are natural food for fish, either. Nor do I think that "Kibbles 'N Bits" is natural food for dogs, "Meow Mix" for cats (meow mix, meow mix - please deliver!!), dead frozen rats for snakes, frozen dinners with lots of preservatives for broke college/uni students (but they're great on the wallet and yummy in da tummy! :D ), blah blah blah.

I'm not saying I condone this: I have quite a few dogs (4 at the moment) and would never do anything like this to one of them. But some people would never do what we do to cows either.

There's two sides to every coin

13. Comg33k

Comg33k What's a Dremel?

The fact is that pets, a mammal that is loved by humans and also not to mention the fact that they do need housing to survive, have a more complex brain thinking process, especially in dogs which gives them emotions and makes them react and communicate with humans.

These animal that are being used could be considered house pets. Even if they are in the pound they are still considered an emotional living creature. So therefore it is wrong, unless you think like and are a farmer. So it don't think they are going to the wild and catching dogs and cats if ya catch my drift. Wild animals think free-for-all, or every mammal for themselves, and thinks for themselves, so their quest is survival.. with no kind of emotions.

For the sake of these animals dying everyday from sharks, let's hope that if I'm right about their thinking processes, that these animals believe in reincarnation!

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Da Bacon responded with the same sentiments, but in a more well thought out way then I could have, so, my response can be taken as his apoogod.

15. quack

quack Minimodder

Snopes, currently undetermined.

16. smithgrowl

smithgrowl What's a Dremel?

The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mohandas Gandhi

Shark fishermen who do this deserve nothing short of the same fate, although if I witnessed this being done to a dog, I'd have a hard time going to the trouble to hook up the fisherman and would probably just opt to gut shoot them and throw them overboard.

I have a Golden Retriever. This image will haunt me for a long time because everytime I look at it I see my dog's face. At least this dog probably survived. I wonder how many others weren't so lucky.

Human cruelty to animals and each other knows no bounds.

17. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

so you don't eat any meat then?

18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Just realised nobody has said anything about the shark, that hook has got to hurt.

Free the sharks

19. Nexxo

Fact: pigs are more intelligent than dogs. Giving up your bacon butty yet?

Visit your local intensive lifestock farm. Then follow them to the abatoir.

Yeah, struggling fishermen in Third World countries have nothing better to do than to be cruel to cats and dogs. It's what they do instead of the Playstation. Get real already. :rolleyes:

A voice of reason at last. Thanks, mate. :thumb:

20. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

So it's another thing for internet surfers and animal lovers alike to be brought into a huge flame debate?!?!

Aghast, it can't be!