Other DIY thread

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 21 Apr 2021.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

...but the disadvantage of only controlling the scary spinny bits with a single hand!

2. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Clamping the speed square will sort you out there

Arboreal likes this.
  3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

They normally come with bloody good / fast blade guards

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah plan would be to get a couple of clamps, speed square, wood glue, some kind of wood finish, circular saw and then the sheet of ply (12mm I think), then potentially drill/drill kit as old drill we had seems to have died but not sure I'll need it for anything quite yet as not attaching anything to a wall and I think glue + pins will be more than strong enough for what I want.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

Today I've been knocking the plaster off the walls as it's been annoying me that I can't control the downstairs hall light from upstairs.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

"Alexa, turn on hall light"

ModSquid likes this.
  7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Ahhh, the joys of setting up an upstairs/downstairs switched live circuit...

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It took me two hours to wire it all back up, it was diabolical. First time in a long time that I've taken something apart and struggled to get it back together again.

Still, I look forward to smugly leaving the downstairs lights on this evening and turning them off from upstairs.

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

You've tested it well before bedtime? If so, smug away.

10. Vault-Tec

I can finally use the other half of my kitchen. Where there is about 2m of counter, but no sodding sockets ffs.

Buying the enormous coffee machine was enough. There is also a cupboard over there that has had sod all in it for 6 years because there's no point. So that is now the coffee cupboard and I will move the machine over in a minute. It's all been cleaned now, BTW and the tools put away.

[​IMG]

And yeah, I could have done it better if I pulled the tumble drier out. Unfortunately it is like a puzzle, and to get that out you need to remove an enormous chest of drawers full of PC parts and with two PCs on it. So F them apples.

It works, that is the main thing.

Yaka likes this.
  11. Vault-Tec

Finished. Sooo much better !

[​IMG]

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Nice, a badly laid out kitchen is something that just slowly chips away at your sanity.

IanW and Vault-Tec like this.
  13. Vault-Tec

TBH the machine is huge. To the point where I had to pick the entire thing up every single time I used it, pull it out and all that. It has no handles, so when you grab it the rear tank falls out. Annoying AF. Ironically under the shallow cabinet there? you don't have to move ****. It's also closer to the sink, so filling the bugger is a thousand times easier too.

Edit. I know the wire goes into the pattress high up.. It arrived with a crack in that area, but I didn't open it for over a month so I didn't inspect it.. It's fine. I mean yeah could have been tidier but function over form just this once.

What I do want is more under counter lighting. So that will be next (piece of pee, 30cm LED strip !).

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My kitchen has bugger all storage space and small counter tops. It’s intensely infuriating.

15. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I transformed our untidy kitchen with a used welsh dresser so all the clutter can be shelved tidily or put in the cupboards, it was only a tenner and the white is a bit yellowed but that can be sorted with a cleaning product I have been recommended.

I think that trunking work looks great and has sorted out your annoying issue.

Finished the bin tidy I was working on the other day.

Need to rebuild the gate in the background next and tidy up everywhere

ModSquid likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

Well see that's the thing man. Whoever built this place blew his load. Granite tops, PVC cabinets etc. It's seriously lovely. Then went and skimped on sockets ffs.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Don't even get me started on sockets in this house...

18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Used hypodermic on the side says that's under control.

19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Looking to replace the garage back door (looked in the past but didn't go through with it)

What are the differences between a pvc door from somewhere like B&Q/wickes etc vs a company which you provide measurements for to get one, seem to be a couple of hundred £ difference (ignoring you can get exact sizes/colours etc), are they actually better?

Also sadly seems like Garolla's prices have gone up since I last looked as we're also potentially now in a position to replace that but ah well!

20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

We got the whole house rewired about a year after moving in, double sockets everywhere, quad sockets in several rooms for office, desktop, TV and such. Cat 6 run to several rooms back to a central point for switch and nas its lovely!

Byron C, IanW and Yaka like this.