1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other DIY thread

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 21 Apr 2021.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

not sure what kind of area you live in due to recent break ins all over the neighborhood near me i regret not going for a solid metal door and frame. the scumbags just take apart pvc doors like nowt and in seconds at the mo i wake up praying my motorcycle is still there in the morning

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Well up till now it's been a wooden door that has definitely seen better days with no lock, so anything I get would be an upgrade! Joiner said he thought the frame was fine (wooden frame) and just the door needing replaced basically, but I might ask about it.

3. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

so i am after a dust mask, was looking at 3M 6000 series & 7000, but for the life of me cant work which filter/cartridge i will need i will be cutting a fair bit of mdf in the near future as well as spray painting

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

So no CE mark, no producers details and very bad English instructions on a product you're trusting to provide protection to your health..

Yeah, but nah, stick with 3M from a reputable supplier, (hint not a market place)
    All of their filters offer particulate filtration IIRC, and these seem to have spray painting covered https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/v100570025/

Cheapskate, Yaka, IanW and 2 others like this.
  6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

so the higher the P rating for the filter the better it is for dust particles?

7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I don't know, but Google suggest that yes 3M use p1, p2 and p3 rating for their particulate filters.
    However also be aware that the US use P ratings to denote protection against oil aerosols.

Best bet, pick any filter that gives and states particulate protection, and open the windows if working indoors

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

For stuff like this, I tend to stick to places like Screwfix, Toolstation, etc; they supply tradesmen, so it's in their interest to stock kit that's properly certified and will actually do what it claims to do.

I picked up this mask from Screwfix a while back for working with MDF. Later I picked up a set of VOC filters for working with casting resin.

All properly certified, kitemarked, CE-marked, etc, and didn't cost the earth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IanW, Yaka and Arboreal like this.
  9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ah, I didn't look too close since It was a US amz link anyway. I just wanted the general model 3m NIOSH to guide you in the right direction. Sorry.
    I'm getting sick of "asdfg" -brand knockoffs too. Allowing 3rd party sellers was a mistake. 8AM posting is also a mistake. :lol:

IanW, Yaka and Arboreal like this.
  10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

Today I sorted out the sagging ceiling in the hallway, it had a 50mm deviation across the 1.8m width :o:

I mostly got it pulled up with big clamps, but I had to use the trolley jack for a couple, that let me get them nailed into joist hangers into a 9x2 cross brace I'd put in. Once I'd jacked up the two that weren't above the staircase I could double up on clamps and pull the last two up. A bit sketchy but it worked, and the deviation is now down to 2mm.

Hacking out the plaster and lath was a job for the JSP face mask with the filter that block pretty much everything but oxygen :hehe:

IanW and Vault-Tec like this.
  11. GeorgeStorm

Are there any recommended brands/sets for drill/impact driver bits? Screwfix's 10% off this month I think is going to push me to get a drill/driver kit (leaning towards this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwauke...ah-li-ion-redlithium-cordless-twin-pack/969gf, buy once cry once?) but now need to work out what bits to get, have seem these recommended elsewhere:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-straight-shank-combination-drill-bit-set-23-pieces/4635k
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwauke...ank-mixed-screwdriver-bit-set-31-pieces/374jr
    Seems like a balance between buying bits one at a time vs buying a 'complete' set that has a million ones I'll never use?

Last edited: 2 Feb 2024
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I've been looking at this recently. Have decided it's time to treat myself to some actual decent screwdriver & bit sets, and have separate sets for "PC And Hobby Stuff" vs "Actually Getting DIY Stuff Done". I'm looking at pretty much the same brands for bit sets, tbh: DeWalt or Makita. Will be going for Wera, Wiha, or Knipex for screwdrivers.

Arboreal likes this.
  13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm using bit sets from parkside. The ones that came with original drivers are still going strong after about 6 years but the kit that came with my latest driver I managed to kill 3 bits so I don't know if the quality has gone south or I was just unlucky.

They have a bit set coming to the middle isle on Sunday for a tenner, 3 year warranty so if they suck you can get a refund

They also have 20% off batteries and chargers for any parkside users plus sanders, impact drivers ect, in store from Sunday.

IanW likes this.
  14. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

It's worth paying for decent branded bits, I'm doing renovations at work and my builder has bought Milwaukee bits as the cheaper ones break or get mangled quickly when putting big screws into studwork. Especially so for impact drivers, they really need good bits that can take a pasting!

ElThomsono likes this.
  15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I've never regretted paying the extra for Wera.

ElThomsono and Byron C like this.
  16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

At the very least, it's always worth grabbing an extra battery or two.

17. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

milwaukee shockwaves , i got a set 10 years ago been used and abused still going

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ok, how the fork do I get this off?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mechanism doesn’t work properly and it all needs replacing; the latch doesn’t fully retract when you pull the handle down, so the door sticks and is extremely hard to open.

As you can see, I’ve removed all the screws already, but I can’t remove either the handles or the plates. The lock handle seems to be holding everything in place. There must be shaft connecting both ends of the lock handle, but I can’t see any way to remove the lock handle, door handles, or even the locking mechanism itself. There’s a pin above and below the latch & deadbolt, and I thought it might be some kind of release mechanism but I can’t push either of them in.

Help, I’m stuck with it! :lol:

19. GeorgeStorm

I am heading to Lidl over the weekend so might see what they have, certainly don't mind the idea of spending less money just some of the 'cheaper' options didn't seem cheaper enough to make sense (ryobi for example at the moment it seems)

20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The thumb turn for the lock is probably retained by a grub screw, look up from the bottom. Once that's out the handles will come off and the bars will come out and then the rest.

IanW, Byron C, Goatee and 1 other person like this.