1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Do I have too many anti-virus and firewall programs?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dean R, 28 Feb 2010.

1. brave758

brave758 What's a Dremel?

GoodBytes could you please elaborate on this, I guess i've bought some of my XP habits across and haven't heard much on this. I've given it a google and its just full of the normal miss information crap.

Thanks

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

As Vista and Win7 are designed for system with more than 512MB of RAM, Vista/Win7 uses the pagefile as a last resort. This means once the RAM is full or near full, it starts to actually use the pagefile on the HDD. So, it's the ""reverse"" of XP behavior; in the sense that XP and older Windows, obviously uses the RAM first (there is no escaping nor denying it), but Windows will try to continuously offload everything onto the pagefile... (everything it can, actually), to try and save memory space. This system was ideal in the old systems as memory was not only expensive, but limited (ie: 1GB of RAM did not exists in store shelf when XP was out, and 512MB of RAM is like getting 24GB of RAM today (with an even higher price point)).

This is one of the reasons why Vista/Win7 consumes more memory than XP, with a big jump (the other thing is superfetch technology, but I won't go onto that).

Part of this new system, is to load the registry, when Windows starts, onto the system memory (RAM) and keeping it there at all times. So, defragging specifically the registry, will not provide any speed improvement in running your system. As the registry is very small in size and is a database, it's very difficult to fragment. Beside, a normal Windows disk defrag, will pass over every file, including the registry and defrag it, if it needs to, like any other files on your system.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2010
    Sir Digby likes this.
  3. brave758

brave758 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info, good to know.

4. cavonia

cavonia What's a Dremel?

I don't use any AV Program.