Do you dream in color? I just found out that I do!

Discussion in 'General' started by Gooey_GUI, 16 May 2007.

1. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

No, have you?

One thing I've always wondered is if people see colours in the same way. Everyone knows what red looks like, for instance, but there's no way of knowing if my red is the same as your red... :D

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I always have coloured dreams.
    The usual ones :D
    Latest TV show I've got obsessed with and watched every season of in one sitting.
    Weird dreams which aren't really dreams... for example, last night in fact, I dreamt that I was at work and that I was just doing normal things... It wasn't even an exciting day, it was just bog standard designing....

My nightmares are black and white though.
    The usual one is anyway. I'm running away as fast as I can but I'm not really going anywhere. Like I'm in treacle. There are really huge small thin people who just seem to get thinner and thinner but bigger at the same time as also getting smaller...
    The other nightmare I have which always feels horribly real is all my teeth falling out or just crumbling to fragments.

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I've always thought that since a friend of mine turned out to be mildly colour blind. He just got red and green mixed up or something, but if no-one had noticed that his perceived red wasn't quite right he wouldn't have ever known.

its like that bit in the matrix.. "No one really knows what tasty wheat tasted like..."

4. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I dont know, sometimes I think I have but since i dont often remember my dreams very well and i have nothing to compare it to in the waking world I dont know. I sometimes see "colours" that arnt colours but I dont think thats the same.

I wonder whether the things we see when we dream are produced by the same part of the brain that processes data from the eyes and whether it is also limited to to the visible spectrum or if some other part is responsible. I seem to remember reading that the when you visualise things in your head its a different part of the brain from the part that deals with sight (the visual cortex???), wheres a Neurologist when you need one eh?

Moriquendi

5. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

It doesn't really matter either way, because it's what you associate the colours with that makes them what they are.

I think I didn't make any sense there =\

6. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

I dream in b/w for some reason. Maybe because i listen to Iron Maiden :rock:

7. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I too dream in colour...

Does anyone ever taste or smell in dreams?, I hope it's not my brain somehow warping the smell of farts and making bugs taste like sweets :eyebrow:

Did anyone ever have dreams when your kid where you steal stuff then try and wake up with it but it aint there :waah: (before you say it, no it still doesn't work :miffed:)

O/T: Here's a challange for you, has anyone ever been charged\arrested for dreaming something? (in histroy that is, not you in particular)

Last edited: 16 May 2007
  8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I dream in color, black and white, sepia, inverted colors, sin city style, code, funky lsd colors..... etc.
    and also have a lot of deja-vu, and sometimes total control over my dreams, like when i am in a dream or nightmare i think of something completely random and it usually happens, and when it does i take control of the dream......

edit: and yes i can kind of smell and taste in dreams, and in some occasions feel things.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not just colour - mine are in technicolor with dolby surround sound. :brrr:

Although I do have this one occasional nightmare that's in a sort of washed-out yellowy-grey colour about falling through a giant greenhouse forever...

10. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Isnt it really annoying when you have a "film dream" (dream that would have been a cool film) and you wish you could have burnt it straight to DVD? :hip:

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That is incredibly annoying - Acrimonious once had a full-on lucid dream about gunning down Bill Gates on the windows XP field whilst flying, that would've been worth watching. :hehe:

12. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I mostly dream in colour, but the occasional nightmare i have is like an early silent film, black and white, and no sound, but massive white letters, pretty disturbing! I also get deja-vu, where i dream something, and anywhere from a few weeks to years later, i do/see something and i get flashbacks to my dream, quite often where i am doing a similar/same thing, weird...

13. orb

orb satisfying.

I get that too!

14. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

There was also a discussion about those who grew up with B/W TV as opposed to younger generations who focus on color media. I grew up with B/W TV and I still watch many old movies. Maybe too many documentaries about WWI and WWII?

I guess I'm not saying that I don't dream in color. It's that I couldn't remember if I did or not. The CSI NY episode just triggered a vivid dream that I could certainly remember as very bright and colorful. Thus, proving to me that I can actually dream in color.

:rock:

BTW, there were all of these giant loud colored neck ties and ribbons hanging down from the ceiling at some sort of convention. All of them were very shiney and bright.

Last edited: 16 May 2007
  15. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I grew up with a black and white TV too - but my dreams have always been in colour, for as long as I can remember.

Dreams are certainly an odd thing :)

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I think I dream in monochrome, but most of my dreams arn't visual. It's either someone talking or it's like a story going on in my head. It's simply knowledge of something, not actually watching it.

When I do have a visual dream it's always third person.

17. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

All my recent dreams that I can remember (same one recurring). Is totally black, because I'm in a coma with my eyes shut. It's quite scary, all I can hear is people talking.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Since dreams are basically the processing of daytime experiences, which includes a fair whack of sensory information, there is no reason why we should not experience the full gamut in our dreams: colours, sounds, smells, touch etc. And indeed we do.

19. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I dream in 2D 8-bit colour. I keep asking for a head upgrade so I can dream in 32-bit colour with 16 billion squillion colours and do polygons and stuff but the voice in my head says no and I start dreaming and seeing nothing but black & white spirals and chequered boxes. :0

20. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Then there is the thought that not everyone dreams in color... quite a bit of people think they do. You don't really know for sure until you actually, vividly remember something of a specific color from a dream. Like I could say "oh I had a dream last night and I remember doing such and such" so reformulating that in my mind now causes it to imagine it normally (i.e. in color). Hence why almost everyone thinks they dream in color, because reminiscing the dreams while awake will recreate them in color unless you "specify" not to.

:idea: