1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Dodgy scan overclock or different hardware problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeckerdBR, 12 Jan 2012.

1. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

77c is well withing the 2500k thermal threshold so from a guaranteed OC point of view it can be deemed ok (or a pass if you will). But I agree, it isn't a temperature I would be happy with on a CPU long term.

A 1.42vcore on air is asking for trouble on a SB cpu. Unless anything has changed since launch I remember 1.35-1.37 being suggested the absolute safe 24/7 max on air.

2. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Within yes, but again if I were Scan I'd take a look at that and think to myself - well hang on, theres not a lot of head room really. For long term I'd say anything over 80C is unacceptable, so saying we've got a screenshot of it running at 77c on the BENCH is laughable. Stick that under a table in the chaps room and it'll soon climb up after a couple of hours gaming

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I know each chip is different but 1.42 for me is just about enough to get 5Ghz stable... seems quite OTT for 4.7

To give OP an example, I just ran Prime smallfft and Unigine for an hour with my case closed, fans on full. 2500k @ 4.5Ghz 1.31v - GTX 580 @ 872Mhz 1100mV and these are the temps I got:

[​IMG]

4. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Hi all - I have been quiet on the front of my hardware issues while I waited for the completely incompetent Scan to try and remove their fingers from their bung holes and sort out my issues.
    This is going to be a bit of a rant I’m afraid but people need to know just quite how bad Scan have been on this occasion.
    After many phone calls and too much e-mail contact with them scan finally sorted an RMA out for my motherboard. After nearly a month I finally got a replacement today, and it looks to be a Scan B Grade!! A £150 quid mainboard, which they finally acknowledged as faulty and the best they can do is replace it with a b grade.... after just over 1 year in a 3 year warranty.
    That would not be as bad in isolation if the whole thing has not been marred by a complete lack of ownership by anyone is Scan including the returns managers, both directly as scan and via the bit-tech forum, after they had already delayed this whole process for most of the year and taken my whole machine back once already because they over obsessed over the OC and at no point thought that maybe, just maybe there might have been a hardware fault.

I suspected from previous experience that they would mess me about so I sorted myself an Asus mainboard in the mean time that’s to a good suggestion from N17 dizzi (thanks dizzy) and low and behold, since replacing my original board, all of my problems vanished!!! In fact I now wonder if my original GFX card replacement was un-necessary and actually caused all along by the faulty board.

What Scan should have done is given me a credit note with themselves and allowed me to replace it with another compatible and similarly priced board or given me a refund. Scan however flatly refused, after all the time I spent doing their job for them, to get treated with such contempt is hugely disappointing. Not one person I was in contact with had the customer service acumen to own and manage this issues, especially considering how long it dragged on for and at times scan were pretty adversarial about trying to put it right.

Compared this to my experiences with RMA’s at E-buyer and it has been a chalk and cheese experience. It’s a shame because scan are a little cheaper, always have a good selection of hardware and have a very efficient ordering and delivery process but all this is marred by their terrible customer service and bad RMA process. At no point out side of a “we have received your RMA” and a “your RMA is now complete” did I get any notification as to what was going on so to get this b grade dumped on my lap is a bit of a kick to the sack.
    And to top it off, despite me sending in my original box, and manual as requested, they have returned it to me in a white scan b-grade box, which is going to make it a lot harder to sell.

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

LOL. I'm LOLing because quite frankly you should be buying separate parts and overclocking yourself. Scan sound like typical numpties when it comes to overclocking but then you shouldn't be relying on anyone else to do your overclocking for you.

Also issues like LAN suddenly randomly not working can be due to poor LAN/mobo/FW issue. My Asus P8Z68-V GEN/3 has 1 intel lan port that increasingly would drop. Once in 2 or 3 weeks initially. Then every week, then numerous times per day. Then the lan port would suddenly drop from the list of hardware and I'd have to reboot and it still wouldn't work properly. I read up on forums and others were also having problems with this Intel lan chip. I ended up buying a PCIe Intel LAN card that had a good reputation for speed and reliability. Within a day that LAN also started dropping. That was until I disabled the onboard Intel LAN. Since then it's been fine.

Overclocking I take care of myself.

Last edited: 17 May 2012
  6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

While I see where you're coming from feathers he's paid for a product and service that should work and if it doesn't should be resolved to his satisfaction. While I've had a couple of RMA's handled efficiently and quickly by Scan I've also experienced their incompetence and now tend to avoid them unless it's for something that only they stock and I'm prepared to take a chance on.

Unfortunately you get stuffed now and then and it's disappointing that Scan have done themselves no favours when you've resolved it yourself only by spending more money.

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yup, he should get what he paid for. I like the speed at which OCUK send out stuff, I like that they are usually in stock. Every time I go to scan website I see "awaiting stock". What I don't like about OCUK is that I have to pay to get a faulty item returned even if it fails within 2 days as was the case with the crappy steelseries SRW S1.

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Wow this is the 1st time I have heard of Scan being so bad!!!

I have used Scan for along time now and never had a single problem with at all, including RMA'ing item's within 1 week or 1 year etc.

I actually bought a Pre-Overclocked bundle from them which was a Core I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz with a MSI P67 GD53 board, and 8Gb of Corsair ram and the cpu was cooled by a Akasa Venom cooler.

I made sure it was all fine when I built the pc up etc including Stress Testing, and realised the temp's were quite low around the 59c mark per core so I went in to the Bios and found the chip was running on 1.4000v, so I decided to up the clock to 4.8ghz and dropped the voltage down abit and stressed it, which it managed for 12 hours on the small fft test and a further 12 hours on the large fft test, max temp's were 68c per core.

The treatment you had from Scan is nearly as bad as what I got from OCUK, except they banned me twice from using them 1st time was for taking someone to the store who spent a fortune on a pc, and then took him back when it was faulty. The 2nd time was when I took a faulty board back and they refused to let me see it being tested because they said it wasn't faulty but I had video showing it being faulty.

OCUK were that bad that I had to RMA a board with the Manufacturer because they refused point blank to even look at it within the 1st year warranty.

I have to say I feel sorry for you getting that sort of treatment from Scan because I have always seen them treating people, fairly and truthfully have never heard anyone say anything bad about them till now.

Glad you issue is effectively sorted albeit with a B-Grade board which I would not be happy about and would to be honest have refused to accept it.