1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Driving game survey

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 9 Jun 2010.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

hey guys, i cant really reveal hat this is for but just roll with me ok?

q1:
    how old are you and what platforms do you play racing games on?

q2:
    your racing a 3 lap race and come the last lap you're down in 5th, do you reset and try again or race on and take the flag?

q3:
    do you like to tinker with your car under the bonnet and swap out parts or do you prefer to just pick a car and go?

q4:
    do you set the game to a difficulty that is challenging and run the risk of losing or do you prefer the safer option and set it down a notch.

q5:
    do you care about other drivers (human/ai) on the road and try not to make contact of do you bulldozer your way through them?

q6:
    loads of people have played Grid if so how did you feel about the team management side of it (signing sponsors) did you like/dislike it? tell me why.

q7:
    car handling (this should be fun to assess) do you prefer a simplistic model or a realistic one?

q8:
    do you prefer games like GTR/GT5 or do you prefer games like NFS/GRID

thats all i can think of for now, rock on petrol heads :rock:

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Q1: 23, PC, PS2 for GT4 (yes I'm behind the times) and occasionally someone else's 360.
    Q2: Take the flag, if it's important I'll restart then.
    Q3: Tinkering can be good to a point - if a game offers DiRT-levels of adjustment some in-depth guidance would be much more useful.
    Q4: As difficult as possible where I still have a chance of winning.
    Q5: I don't mind a little contact a la touring cars, but bulldozering in a fashion to what the GRiD AI managed is beyond irritating.
    Q6: I quite enjoyed signing sponsors, although that was more about getting decent-looking sponsor logos on the car to improve the look.
    Q7: As much realism as possible really, although a little forgiveness on the lowest difficulties can't hurt.
    Q8: GTR/GT5 are my favourite type, DiRT 2 and GRiD are somewhere in-between but still very entertaining.

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

q1: 26, PC, PS3 (GT), Xbox360 (FM3)

q2: Take the flag (mainly because ill be in a championship and not winning isnt that bad.

q3: Love tinkering to get a setup perfect, but not so fussed on performance parts.

q4: Set difficulty as high as possible, (your never going to improve if there isnt a challenge).

q5: No contact here, well not on purpose anyways.

q6: Didnt mind the team management side of things, and selecting sponsors is a nice touch as it gives you goals to achieve on a race by race basis.

q7: If i can use a wheel then i like it to be as realistic as possible, if its a gamepad than i like a realistic but a little more arcade-like feel.

q8: The original gtr is one of my favorite games, as is rFactor. But the more arcadey games can be fun but i dont find them as 'deep' as the more sim based games.

4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

1: 21. PC (mostly), PS3 (occasionally).

2: Race on and get as high a position as I can, unless I absolutely had to finish in a certain position and knew I wouldn't be able to do it.

3: I like to tinker with settings which I know what they do, if that makes sense. If I don't know what impact it will have on the car or what benefit I'll get from said tinkering, then I won't bother.

4: I generally like to have a chance at winning most races, so I won't set it too difficult, but there's not a lot of point in playing if you're winning every race easily. But it's often difficult to find a balance on most games so I usually end up setting it a bit too easy if I'm honest. I don't mind losing the occasional race though, as that's what makes you strive to be better and get faster lap times.

5: Some contact is usually inevitable, but it depends on the type of racing. In F1 games, any contact usually means the end of your race, but in touring cars etc. it's often necessary to get past those stubborn drivers on tight tracks. If I'm racing against human players though, I'm much more careful about avoiding body contact than when racing against AI drivers.

6: Only played the demo for GRID, so am not really in a position to answer this question.

7: Realistic, so long as it's not too punishing with regards to some aspects. It's still a game and needs to be fun, but I like my cars in games to handle like they would in real life.

8: GTR/GT5 (even though I didn't particularly like GTR, I prefer that style of game). I don't like games like NFS/GRID which are too arcadey and put too much emphasis on drifting instead of driving properly.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

q1:

26, PC, X360, occasionally a PS2/3

q2:
    your racing a 3 lap race and come the last lap you're down in 5th, do you reset and try again or race on and take the flag?

I'd take the flag, then retry

q3:
    do you like to tinker with your car under the bonnet and swap out parts or do you prefer to just pick a car and go?

I like tinkering. But stock cars can be fun.

q4:
    do you set the game to a difficulty that is challenging and run the risk of losing or do you prefer the safer option and set it down a notch.

I like the challenge

q5:
    do you care about other drivers (human/ai) on the road and try not to make contact of do you bulldozer your way through them?

I try to not hit them. Accidents do happen, and I am known for defending my line hard.

q6:
    loads of people have played Grid if so how did you feel about the team management side of it (signing sponsors) did you like/dislike it? tell me why.

I thought it was ok. It felt a bit shallow and "oh look - another thing you can do". Would've liked more variety, control over the sticker placement that affects the outcome of the deal, etc. Would also see limited time offers, sponsors pulling out if you suck too much, etc.

q7:
    car handling (this should be fun to assess) do you prefer a simplistic model or a realistic one?

Hm. No expert here, but I tend to prefer the Forza/Gran Tourismo level of pseudo-realism for a good balance of fun and challenge.

q8:

GT-series/FM-series by far.

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

7. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

q1: 23 PS2 360 PS3

q2: depends on the game if its necessary to get 1st in everything. if i were choosing, take the flag

q3: deinfately a tinkerer

q4: risk it

q5: dont worry too much about AI if i have to hit them but try to avoid if possible

q6: liked it, added extra depth

q7: realistic is more rewarding. aslong as its a game i will play for a long time

q8: GT5 type in the long run altough grid was fun

8. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

q1:
    18, PC.

q2:
    Depends. Most of the types of game I play allow easy overtaking (e.g., Dirt2, Burnout, GRID) so I'll battle on to the end, then if it's not a satisfactory position I'll retry then.

q3:
    Little bit of tinkering, I don't a huge amount about it though.

q4:
    Inbetween - every game I play these days I set on the middle (normal) difficulty, if that's at all possible.

q5:
    Ingame presumably? I blast it at the corners and use sideswiping to make it round without hitting the barriers ;)

q6:
    Team management was ok - I didn't like letting my teammate win though, so I didn't care much about him as a driver, but fiddling with the sponsors to get the most amount of money (if you did as well as you thought you would) was good.

q7:
    Inbetween again. Too realistic isn't fun for me, but Outrun is simply ridiculous (bad).

q8:
    NFS/GRID.

9. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

10. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

q1:

36, PC and 360

q2:

Race on, see where I finish. It's more challenging that way.

q3:

Tinkerer fer sure.

q4:

Challenge!

q5:

I prefer to go around other cars but won't go out of my way to do so against AI, human players get bulldozed on principle :D

q6:

Not played.

q7:

I loathe the truly simplistic ones but there's a cut off point for the realism beyond which it just gets silly.

q8:

I've not played a GT game since GT3 so don't know how the new ones rack up. NFS Shift is the most recent one I've played and I'm still loving it.

11. October

October Mariachi Style

q1:
    22, played the Grid demo on the PS3 but everything else on PC w/360 pad.

q2:
    Generally if I have a bad first half-lap I'll restart. If I made it right to the bitter end I'd probably finish though.

q3:
    Depends on the game, NFSU2 I did loads, haven't so much with Grid and Dirt yet.

q4:
    I like a challenge but I don't like an evening of frustration, depends on game and how much I suck at it :lol:

q5:
    Nope, doze through em if I can do so with minimal self-damage. Especially on NFSU2 lan session :hehe:

q6:
    Didn't bother me, it ads something different so yeah probably a good thing. Would hate to see it repeated ad nausuem now though.

q7:
    Realistic enough to make it actually feel like you're driving, especially since I now actually know what that's like for real lol

q8:
    NFS/Grid (and CMcCs back catalogue ;))

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

q1: 35, PC, PS3

q2: Race on! If I was last, perhaps a reset.

q3: Both

q4: Safer option

q5: I use them as my brakes

q6: Haven't got that far into it

q7: Both

q8: Both

13. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

q1:
    26, PC, PS3, X360

q2:
    take it to the flag! - the fun is overtaking, not leading, surely?

q3:
    I change the setup, but the games I play dont have 'mods'

q4:
    hard as nails - I have only ever one 1 race offline.

q5:
    clean racing is good racing

q6:
    I played grid for about 5 minutes. Yuk

q7:
    Simulation for me please.

q8:
    rFactor/iRacing/LiveforSpeed/GTR etc. :)

14. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

q1:
    20 - PC exclusively

q2:
    depends - if I can sabotage AI racers by crashing into them etc, I'll just get aggressive :p usually I'll just finish the race

q3:
    Tinkering used to be fun, but now-a-days its too straight forward - get the biggest mods, get racing. I'd like to see some power to weight ratios etc

q4:
    Usually normal/hard depending on how often I play it (always like it to be challenging)

q5:
    depends - sometimes I'll focus on driving position & racing line, other times I'll enjoy the damange-system :thumb:

q6:
    I did actually quite like the sponsors bit on Grid - it was tacticle, get double-points for first place, or double points for 5th place (to include your team mate etc). However the team mate peeved me off - those dam voices always going on about "getting past you" etc

q7:
    Realistic - I play with a steering wheel these days (would like a proper gearbox for it though). If the steering is too easy, I cba playing the game - its no challenging

q8:
    We haven't got the GT5 etc, so GRID, Some of the NFS', Dirt 2

Just on a side note - in real life I take a real interest in cars, but currently don't have anything overly fancy due to lack of fundage (and being a student - on placement this year, hense having a car atall). I imagine that once I've actually got some fancy cars (provided I can get enough money & parking spaces :p) I would expect I wouldn't play racing games as much.

Oh - also, I don't speed etc on real-roads, but I make up for that in the twisties...:geek:

('54 Fiesta Zetec S TDCI)

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

q1: 40 :)eeek:), 360 mostly, some PS3

q2: It depends on what's required. If I need to place to proceed, I'll reset and try again, otherwise I'll just take the flag.

q3: If I'm walked through the basics of tinkering, then I'll tinker. If I'm just dropped into a tinkering game with no explanation, then I'd rather it wasn't there.

q4: Hard enough so that it's a challenge, but not so hard that I can't win at least some of the time.

q5: Depends on the type of game. Most multiplayer races tend to be a free-for-all regardless of the actual game and this can get annoying after a while.

q6: Never played Grid (I know, I know... :sigh:)

q7: Again, depends on the game. Realistic handling in a game like blur would spoil the fun, but it's expected in a game like Forza.

q8: Depends on what mood I'm in: both types have a place on my shelf.

16. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

1. 15 and pc
    2. depends on how far behind and stuff but usually restart (i get angry when i lose)
    3. I just get the best and stick with it
    4. mostly challanging but sometimes easier
    5. bulldose through ai not through human
    6. Still downloading
    7. Realistic
    8. Gtr/gt5
    :rock:

17. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

1. 22, PC, Wii at a friends house:blush:

2. Race on, there's no choice in Trackmania besides rage quitting.

3. No tinkering please. But then I don't like games like DiRT.

4. Depends. Usually pretty difficult for me. The difficulty shouldn't be as ridiculous as in the last races of some older NFS titles though. I almost destroyed my keyboard in NFS Underground at one race where they'd had a mini van come out of a corner in the last lap right before the finfish line. No matter what I did, I always crashed, it was designed that way. Ended up cheating to get past that race, sucked big time. Never bought another NFS title after that, had all but the first one before.

5. Depends on the game. I only play Trackmania lately, you can't crash anything there. (Hey, it's a racing game technically.)

6. Car customization is nice, but please keep the management part is small and simple as possible. It's about racing, not managing your team.

7. Simple. Arcarde Style.

8. NFS, Trackmania

18. AndyCubb

AndyCubb Victory is mine!

q1: 28 PC & X360

q2: Depends on the racing style of game and the reason I am down in 5th :)

q3: Tinker...always. Love to mod.

q4: Again, depends on racing style. Drifty = Harder Realistic = Medium

q5: Thats what AI is there for ^^

q6: Meh neither love or hate it, its just another aspect of the game but tbh I buy racing games to race, dont mind how.

q7: Realistic really, I love to drift.

q8: Yes! Depends on mood.

Good tread btw :thumb:

19. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

1. 18 and I play them on PC and occasionally PSP, DS and 360.

2. It depends on how hard the game is, and how good I am at it. Most of the time I try for it though.

3. I do both, depends on mood.

4. Often go for a softer option in more realistic games, harder in more arcadey.

5. I treat AI players like dirt and avoid hitting human players as much as possible.

6. It was alright...I quite liked the sponsors as you could add decals to your car. The managing of your co-driver was slightly pointless though.

7. I honestly have no preference; providing a game has everything else as realistic (eg. car deformation, wear, speed, AI) then I can enjoy a realistic handling model. If a game makes no pretense of being realistic then a simple handling model is good for me (eg. Burnout, TrackMania). My favourite handling model has to be GRID's though, struck the middle ground perfectly.

8. From a fun point of view, NFS/GRID. I can get into more realistic simulations though, not a fan of Gran Turismo (not tried 5) though, the cars behave nothing much like real cars.

20. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Q1: 26, PC.

Q2: only reset when its impossible to get a win.

Q3: always prefer the mod system.

Q4: Challenging but not impossible.

Q5: Bulldoze, side-swipe, clip, what ever it takes to win.

Q6: Don't mind the system, but it mustn't be too over-bearing.

Q7: realistic...ish, so long as it stay fun to and not a hassle just to turn the corner.

Q8: NFS all the way!