1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Dual Ethernet Ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by she'shighvoltage!, 13 Dec 2009.

1. she'shighvoltage!

she'shighvoltage! What's a Dremel?

What exactly do they do?

I've seen them on a lot of "high end" motherboards lately. Do they just double your internet speed? Like, if I plugged in two on my 1.5 mbps connection, would I get a 3 mbps connection?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You usually have 1 that is really fast in transfering packets and uses minimal CPU power, but require drivers... and the other some standard basic one where the drivers are already built-in Windows.

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

They can be used for a varity of advanced purposes, but the average person will only ever use one. Your internet speed is capped by your provider on their network, so short of paying for 2 connections, you can't double your speed.

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Gives you more flexibility. You can connect your PC to two networks at a time.

5. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

I have two on mine, but it just means I can have a different config for other networks. DHCP for internet and a static IP for LAN.

6. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

I was wondering the same thing. Now I know. :)

7. n0va

n0va Burnin'!

But there is actually a use for them in increasing ping: Some of the Ethernet drivers are capable of using one for incoming packages and one for outgoing. That lowers your ping a tad. It's not much though and probably only latency decrease, performance-wise you won't notice much.

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Are you sure that's what you wanted to say?

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'd like to have a dual-LAN mobo right now so I could connect one to the 'net, and have the one separated from internet and only be used for my Gblan with NAS and the three rigs that don't need online access anyway.

10. n0va

n0va Burnin'!

Y'got me there :D It's decreasing what I ment, obviously :lol:

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

When plugged into a home router, you won't get benefit from two physical ports. You can link aggregate (read: bind them together) on business class equipment, but since your onboard network cards will be 100mbps or 1gbps, and your upstream link to the internet is only 1.5mbps ... what's the point?