1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Duke Nukem Forever Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jun 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. NuTech

NuTech New Member

Be honest, was anyone really expecting anything different?

There was no way on earth DN:F was going to be considered a 'good' game by any modern standards.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

As I've said before: If it turned out to be really great, then you'd likely have said "It was always going to be great!" instead of "It was always going to be crap!"

4. Mentai

Mentai New Member

I wish it had at least turned out to be good. I don't need a 10/10 must play experience, just a bit of a nostalgia trip. However, if I'm going to be bored half the time I don't want to bother even when it gets to the bargain bin.

5. Dwarfer

Dwarfer New Member

The game just doesn't feel like a Duke game. It's more of your average shoot em up except a little more bland. The reviewer seems to think graphics make a game better, I think not, I play games for their style & story. DNF is unique in the sense it's very humorous but lacks anything other than follow this this & this.

Compare the level design to Duke3D and you will be astonished there is much much more to the levels as D3D than in DNF. I think the devs have being incredibly lazy in terms of the level design. 50/100 seems about right but as above, not happy that the score maybe based on the gfx.

6. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE New Member

I think this review was far to nice because ive played this steaming pile of crap and i would struggle to give it even 20/100. This was one of the worst first person games ive ever played. And the whole nostalgia angle doesnt work for me either since i wasnt a fan of the original. You should never poke a corpse with a stick just leave useless old dead games in the grave where they belong.

7. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

TBH, I was unsure of the score you'd give it, anywhere between 20 to 95%. It seems the only review site that gave it anything amounting to a positive review was PC Gamer, which quite frankly makes one wonder if money changed hands.

The review is spot on. I'm annoyed that I paid £30 for it, but at the end of the day I had to see what had taken 14/15 years to make!

8. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Well I actually enjoyed the game. Yes it's long overdue and graphics aren't as nice as I'd like, but the game is fun and it's 100% Duke Nukem. The obscene stuff is meant to be there and if you find the nudity embarrassing then you obviously have never played Duke Nukem 3D. And if you have played DN3D and still find the nudity embarrassing then there is something wrong with you.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Is it stupidly immature and have have lots of shooting? If so I'll still get this.

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'm rather glad I gave this one a miss. Perhaps I'll give it a go when it can be found for a fiver.

11. Darkflame

Darkflame New Member

I was a big fan of Duke Nukem back in 1998 when i played Duke Nukem: Time to Kill.

This is my first outing with Duke in 3D and it's just plain boring.

I loved the obscenity, the nudity and everything Duke but the game play didn't start getting interested until like a few hours in (the kitchen stage in the Burger bar) and even then i got bored at the monster truck driving stage after that and switched off.

Graphics didn't seem that bad to me, not as good as Bulletstorm or Metro2033 but certainly acceptable, in fact the female models were the most realistic i've ever seen in a game (hehe), i think at least 5 years of work went into those, lmao

Overall, disappointing game, let's hope they make another one with proper nerve racking action with unlimited weapon selection and collectible health, proper old school like it should of been!

12. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Member

Think I will pass on this. Not even going to download a demo. Way overhyped and sounds quite boring.

13. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Too little too late. That is all

14. Haphestus

Haphestus ....the folding under dog

I cant believe they made such a hash of this game.

An opportunity very much wasted, as im sure i can speak for all the DN fans, that this was something i was looking forward to.

I wont be parting with my hard earned cash for this..... :(

15. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney New Member

If you're 30+ and remember the original, play the demo and make your mind up. Anyone younger, forget it.

16. randomhero

randomhero Member

I actually really enjoyed the game. (Yes I've aldready palyed through it) And my onely wish is that there was MORE! A lot more!

But I guess The MGS series has spoiled me with days and days of gameplay. But 9 hours is simply dissapointing.

17. mpr

mpr New Member

Question is, can the modding community fix it and make it the ultimate sleeper hit of the year?

18. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

Well I'm going to go against the grain and say I loved this game. Thankfully I never quite got angry at it taking so long and forgot about it in patches. In ways it kind of feels like a hybrid between FEAR 2 and Half Life 2. I went into it expecting pretty much nothing.

I really didn't have a problem with the long levels because I really did enjoy every moment. But then I really don't like war games and all we seem to have had over recent years is sequel after sequel to war games. Sure Crysis 2 wasn't a war game but it also wasn't very good. I preferred Duke in every way.

This game 'feels' and pretty much looks like it should have been direct competition for Doom 3 and Half Life 2. And IMO it would have comfortably sat between the two. If I'm completely honest here (and I am rather eccentric) then I could say that since those two games I have been waiting for this one. I have enjoyed a handful of games since that era though.

I do want to say thanks to Bit-Tech. Whilst the game did not recieve a good score (I wasn't really expecting it to) the review was fantastic. It did not start out with the lines "The gameplay and graphics are dated". I like the dated gameplay and I have found the graphics to be more than adequate and at times very pretty. There really isn't anything wrong with the game and if you are a bit childish and enjoy tongue in cheek humour Duke has it in abundance.

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed your very fair take on this game. It makes a change from some one with a 10+ year axe to grind who was just waiting to spit out their massive reserves of venom.

19. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I've played 10h+ on it, and I'm liking it... the "Boss battles" (so old school), the jokes, the levels where Duke is a small dude, the kitchen level was aweeesomee!! It's just different, if it came out 3 years ago It would be a great game.

But I only play it for the fun, and it delivered... (after the first 30min, that was soo bad that I wanted to delete it from my PC), I just got to an underwater level, but I didn't have the time to go on...

It has good levels, we can see that it's has a great wide of variety in it, I'm liking it and I'm not sorrow for my 45eur that I paid in Steam.

Hope that Gearbox makes a new Duke game, this one was to close the cycle, so many years in development, it just had to be delivered.

20. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

It really isn't broken to be honest. You just need to imagine that it's 2004, Doom 3 and Half Life 2 have come out and you have finished both and then use this as the progression. The console versions are awful which (sorry to sound spiteful) I was quite happy about. It's about time we got the premier and not the sloppy seconds.

I suppose it's either glass half full or half empty, long memory or fickle. Thankfully I can cast myself back to when this game released and enjoy it for what it would have been then, rather than what it is now.

Tags: Add Tags