1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Duskers Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 6 Jun 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Okay, my curiosity is pinging (along with my spidey sense), now its time to find that damned cat.

"Here Jonesy, here kitty, kitty..."

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Looks fantastic, and best of all, will run on my work PC!

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Oooh! and Linux!

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I'm intrigued. Might be worth a play through. Being procedurally generated, does it have a plot or is it just exploring one station after another until you get bored?

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Ummm: for Kane? *raisesfist*

7. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

Yes, there's a story, told via retrieved message logs from the different stations you visit. It's very well written.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

This sounds mega, definitely picking a copy up. :)

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Downloaded, played, got all my drones killed.
    Started again.
    This is going to be a recurring pattern I feel...

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yep, reset is a common command for me! Love it though, very tricky.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bought this yesterday. Got nothing achieved for the whole afternoon. Whoopsie.

At one point I had two assault droids with turrets, one with stealth and one with shield. They set up a killzone around each door I opened, which worked great - until they ran out of ammo, Aliens Director's Cut style, on a particularly large station. A quick "end" command got three of the four droids out, with one disabled. A quick redock and I was able to send in my salvage droid (tow, interface) to drag the disabled droid back to the ship behind the infestation's back. Sadly, I didn't have enough scrap to fix everyone up and it all fell apart a few boardings later.

Love it.

Sadly, the Linux version is a little buggy. Performance is good in-game with the 'static' disabled, but the static effect remains in-place on the shipboard screens and drags the framerate down. A bigger annoyance is that Ctrl + S to save aliases doesn't work. Rather, it *does* work, but it also inserts an s onto whatever line I'm on and then complains about it.

Oh, for the curious, here are the aliases I've written to make my life easier.

salvage=navigate $x1 ($x2) ($r2); tow $x1; navigate $x1 r1; tow $x1;
    power=navigate $x1 ($x2) ($r2); generator $x1;
    tracker=navigate $x1 ($x2) ($r2); motion $x1;
    loot=navigate $x1 ($x2) ($r2); gather all $x1;

Syntax: command droidNumber targetDroidOrRoomNumber

salvage sends your tow-equipped droid to a particular room or the room that has another droid in it and tells it to tow whatever it finds. power sends your generator-equipped droid to a given room or droid location and tells it to power things. tracker does the same for motion-sensor-equipped droids, while loot does the same for gather-equipped droids.

Using these, it's possible to have one or two assault droids (shields, traps, lures, stun, turret, stealth, whatever) as your point men and quickly send salvage droids (tow, gather) and power droids (generator) where they need to go. Find a generator on your explorations? "power 2 1" will send droid 2 (which should have a generator) to droid 1's current room. Exploring and need to switch to a generator in room r5? "power 2 r5." Assault droid finds a stash of stuff in a cleared room? "loot 3 1". Found a disabled droid in room r10? "salvage 3 r10". All without switching control away from your assault droid. Handy-dandy!

Tags: Add Tags