1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA to stick with SecuROM for Red Alert 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Sep 2008.

1. Paolo

Paolo What's a Dremel?

This is one thing I don't get: The spokesperson openly acknowledges the fact that people *will* crack it anyway, and it *will* be downloaded illegally regardless.

Given this statement, it seems they are saying that they are including DRM to annoy the people that actually did purchase the game - this annoys me.

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Securom is still there.
    They only removed the limited activations part. Now its unlimited. While servers last.

3. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

"In other words: not good news and this is something that some people will obviously use as a flimsy excuse for piracy"? I guess you didnt read the thread about the guy who only got crysis running because he used a cracked exe, because EA were being assholes about their DRM :rolleyes:

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

You say it yourself though - it won't stop piracy, (if you look at spore is was available 5 days before release with the DRM removed/cracked) so what exactly is the point of limiting installs?

edit: someone beat me to asking the question I shouldn't skim read :X

5. SuperNova

SuperNova What's a Dremel?

The DRM in its self isn't the problem here... When you buy a game you should be able to reinstall it as many times as you want. If you have to verify the game once in a while through internet, fine...

Its really strange how people react when it comes to computer related issues. If we replace "computer game" with "car" and "DRM" with "car alarm" the the scenario changes.

Ex: If you buy a brand new car its comes with an alarm, which is great so none steals it! But there is one little hitch, you can only get in and out of your car 4 times a day, after that you have to call the manufacturer. If your just using the car to and home from work its fine but what if you use the car IN work and have to get in and out 10 times per day?

Im aware that there are differences and I'm only using that example to show the principal. If you buy a game (which you absolutely should) you should be able to reinstall it as many times as you want, end of story. While their still on it why not lease the game to customers instead of selling it? Seems like that fits their model better.

6. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

I posted this on the EA Forum:

Dear EA

As one of your valued customers who have supported you over the years I would strongly disagree with the choice to support DRM protection on Red Alert 3.

I do not want the to be dictated or forced into this situation or you will loose a customer in this regard. I have more than 30 EA PC games and have never pirated any EA PC games in my whole life, and quite frankly if I see DRM software on a game again I will just not purchase it at all.

The last game that I purchased with DRM was Bioshock last year October and I had so many issues with getting it to work that I still have not played it even though I paid for it.

I live in South Africa and did not have the luxury to call your oversees support line.

I will now state reasons supporting my dislike of DRM software:

1) It installs a rootkit software that could be exploited by EA or SecurRom or any other individual to gain access, or steal personal information.
    2) Reinstalling he game becomes a hassle because of the 3 limit install, I for instance reloaded my PC 4 times over the last two weeks. Reasons: New motherboard and 2x raid failure. So if I installed RA3 over this period it would be voided and I have to buy a new game?
    3) You are creating a complicated system to punish the honest buyers, the bloody hackers will crack it anyway the week after it launches, get in touch with reality!
    4) You are asking me to basically rent the software instead of giving me ownership.
    5) Why do this with successful franchises? You have already seen the good sales on these games, so there is no threat of failing. The cheap assed individual who steals will always steal and by forcing DRM you are not going to create a new sale! BE REALISTIC!

Understand this, if DRM (SecurRom) is included you WILL loose this customer, who have been a proud a owner of every single C&C franchise game through the years.

I have hosted and organized tournaments for C&C games, and have supported the franchise vigorously over the years.

Quite frankly the demise of PC gaming will be this DRM infection and not piracy!

Regards

Nico (Nictron) Fourie

7. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I can't say I've had any problems with DRM on any of the games mentioned but I still detest it.
    I hated having to ring MS every time I reinstalled XP, I'm gonna hate it even more when I have to call some overseas support line just to play a game!

The one question I have is this:-

What benefit do EA get from adding this DRM to their game??

8. koola

koola Minimodder

Bingo!

Speaking as someone who has cracked SecuROM (for educational research), it's really not that difficult to do and the reward is that of convenience. Just patching and then playing is far better than the DRM hoops EA make you jump through.

Until EA learn this, the ongoing cat and mouse game will continue which inevitably always hurts their paying customers.

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

From what I can tell they don't get any benefit at all. It's kinda like those anti-piracy things they put on DVDs and make you sit thru without being able to skip or fast forward before you get to the main DVD menu. All things like this do is inconvenience and/or annoy the people who've actually gone out and bought a legitimate copy of a game or movie. It's ironic that, in certain cases, it's less hassle to download a cracked version of a game and use that rather than try and make a legitimate copy, with it's oh so important DRM, work.

10. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

I've never had a problem with DRM, I have 1 gaming pc and 3 installs on that is fine.

none but they have to try and stop piracy, maybe this method isnt particularly effective but they have to try. Hopefully some time soon, someone will come up with a better way of doing things.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i was going to buy this.... now i am not, securom screwed me before, it wont screw me again.

12. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

The benefit of DRM for them is not giving people with cracks a chance to play the game online on official servers.

13. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

*******s....only word for it

14. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

you dont need draconian DRM to do this at all...

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

> If you have to verify the game once in a while through internet, fine...

Fine now.

Fine next week.

Fine for quite a while, in fact.

But how long are you content to rent your temporary licence to play this thing?

16. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

> And why the hell do you think calling for an activation is hard work ? >_>

You've never tried calling Sony's software department to get an activation code for Sound Forge, have you? It was originally released by Sonic Foundry, who were then bought up by Sony; calling the latter party results in a "Huh, what? Oh, we don't support that anymore", as if I'm going to just roll over and buy a new version. So far, yelling at them a lot has worked out. I'm not sure how long that status quo will last.

17. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

hmmm don't agree with this one bit. I have several machines with different operating systems at different locations, do I have to buy a game per-machine? everyone has internet connection or can get to internet connection at some point. Why can't registration and activation of the game be performed online at installation be enough? It's my EA account (with password) it's my activation code that came with the game and if they are that worried about it they can send me an automated new activation code to my email address linked to the EA account?!?!?! I mean why should I waste my time on the phone?

By the way Spore is awesome, worth every penny, but has anyone else found it wont auto-run on Vista 64? in fact you can't even explorer the disc it just comes up with "would you like me to format your blank disc"

I had to use InfraCD to browse the CD and select the autorun.exe?!?!!?

18. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

once bitten, twice shy...

can see this happening alot, people just won't and shouldn't have to put up with this cr@p

19. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

meh, the only good thing in this news thread is the pretty lady.

peace

20. quack

quack Minimodder

Mmmm Gina Carano. I love her. *drool*

Tags: Add Tags