1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Edited

Discussion in 'General' started by my58vw, 22 Jun 2004.

1. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I don't know if thats right, but even if it was

then u have ur engine doing a high RPM. ur clutch wants to engage... so it sticks really hard.. but your wheels cant follow, so the piece's that 'stick' in the clutch (because of centrofugal) will make more damage!

2. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

No, automatics don't have a centrifugal clutch.

They have either a "slush box" (torque converter), or a magnetic powder clutch.

Some semi-automatics like the BMW M3 have a standard electromagnetically-operated triple-plate clutch for setting off, and all other gearchanges rely on revmatching.

3. BlackMan

BlackMan New Member

centrifugal clutch's are a very important asset to go-kart riders, the go-kart i used to ride around in had a centrifugal clutch and it worked magically, it was easy to start it beucase the centrifugal clutch let it run with out moving to much, but when you increase the rev's it sticks more and you are moving, its really a good idea

4. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Yes, but it doesn't work for cars. The primary reason for this is that a go-kart has only one gear (up to 6 in special cases, but they normally have "proper" transmissions). Once the clutch was engaged and the vehicle was moving, you wouldn't be able to disengage the clutch in order to shift gear. There are ways around using a clutch to change gear, but you also have to consider the fact that "coasting" would be impossible. There is also the simple reason that a centrifugal clutch wouldn't be able to cope with the torque required to move a heavy car - there are exceptions to this rule (drag cars use a centrifugal clutch, but it is very bulky and expensive, and modern drag cars only have a single gear) but overall it's better to use a torque converter or a normal clutch ;)

5. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Great, now can we get back on topic :hehe: Just kidding!

Tags: