Energy prices, what's your plan?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by ElThomsono, 30 Aug 2022.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

On Sunday I got paid to use 40kWh of energy

Attached Files:

2. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Just as a note here to say that I recently discovered the tracker tariff for Gas is a thing on Octopus, its halved my unit rate on gas, wish I had known about this during last winter! I am on Agile for electricity, and am currently considering a storage battery, as I have the space now having cleared out the garage. - Need to look at getting an HA client setup on a spare raspberry Pi to make the most of the plunge pricing.... any tips?

wyx087 likes this.
  3. wyx087

wyx087 Multimodder

Consider getting a battery system that is compatible with this Home Assistant integration, I've only read good things with this integration.
    https://springfall2008.github.io/batpred/energy-rates/#octopus-energy-integration

I've been using Vehicle-2-Home by making our Nissan Leaf function as home battery. In combination with solar PV, our average electricity price is just over 8p/kWh on the Octopus EV tariff.

In combination with Tracker tariff for gas, I am over £400 in credit and I kept reducing my monthly DD without making much dent reducing that. Currently set at £60 a month for 3 bed house with ~1200 EV miles per month.

4. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

That looks great, thanks I will have a dig around.
    im assuming you need a specific chadmo/type1 home charger to enable that V2H? I have an outlander PHEV, so no luck there, and it doesnt seem like any of the newer EVs we might switch to next year or so have the V2H or V2G options.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Multimodder

I got on a V2H trial and had it installed for just £1600, I needed a second EV charger for 2 EV's, so it was easy decision. Unfortunately there's currently no off-the-shelf V2H options and currently only Nissan Leaf supports it via the obsolete Chademo plug.

VW ID 77 kWh models might support it, but it is unclear how well supported it will be. ID7 manual talks about 4000 hour limit on battery discharge, making it useless.

V2H for CCS plug is still not yet widely available.

Current best option is to get home battery, 0% VAT and recent developments mean they are not as expensive as they once were.

6. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

yeah - i was looking at the Fogstar, as I already have an inverter I got cheap with some DIY Solar PV cells that I havent put together yet :D https://www.fogstar.co.uk/collectio...e/products/fogstar-energy-15-5kwh-48v-battery

wyx087 likes this.
  7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Installed an Eddi Solar Diverter for hot water (https://www.myenergi.com/product/eddi/) on Sunday. Dead simple to install and integrates seamlessly with the Zappi car charger I already had. Now when there isn't enough sun to charge the car (needs minimum 1.4kW of generation to be 100% green charging) I can dump the excess electric to my existing immersion heater automatically. I should be running on "free" hot water all summer long and hopefully knocks a good chunk of the hot water bill in the winter also. I reckon it should save circa £20-30 of gas usage each month during the summer giving this a payback of 1-2 years (being pesimistic)!

wyx087 likes this.
Tags: